Mens Tennis Forums banner

Time For A New Coach

9K views 158 replies 10 participants last post by  Sparko1030 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, I wanted to yell at Nico because I thought he wasn't preparing properly for hardcourt season and especially New Haven and the US Open.

But today is a different story. If I feel badly that he is losing all his matches, he must be totally depressed about it. I know that Nico really felt last year that he could be back in the top twenty, but it hasn't worked out. He's lost all his confident. He's lost all his fight on court. :sad: Poor Nico... :hug: :hug:

He's been through rough patches before, but he's always managed to comeback. But this time, it's not happening.

So your thoughts.

What do you think Nico has to do to comeback????

My thoughts on it: as much as I love Gaby, he takes great care of Nico, and as great as he is technically as a coach, Nico has to get a new coach next year. I wish Nico would do like Nole, and get a number of different coaches/ex-players to come and work with him for short periods of time in addition to his regular coach. Or like Flip is doing - he's at Andre's working out with Andre, Gil Reyes, and Sargasian to comeback.

The other thing is that Nico has to do something himself. He has to start being the warrior on court again and fight. Until he does that, no coach or advisor is going to help.

Whatever he does, it's got to be radical changes.

See less See more
#54 ·
Re: Brainstorming To Find Nico A New Coach-Pato And Nano Won't Do In the Long Term!!!

No idea if he buys a condo in Ba or not, but I just bought a condo next to Paris :angel: So if he needs a place to stay, no problem :p

#55 ·
Re: Brainstorming To Find Nico A New Coach-Pato And Nano Won't Do In the Long Term!!!

only for Nico, I asked Lovely for a place in her new condo and she didn't accept me :ras: :lol:

it's okay NicoFan I'm used to your obsession now :rolls: ... and well the press doesn't give a damn about Nico, they only know how to bash him that's all :retard:

I'm not sure about Jimmy Connors, Andy hasn't improved that much on clay and no matter what, I like that Nico is good on clay, of course that I'd like him to be better on hardcourts but only being greater on clay :p

#56 ·

Lovely - how so very generous of you to offer Nico a place to stay in Paris. ;) :lol: (And congrats on buying the condo!!! :yeah:)

Andy hasn't improved on clay, but he's doing much better overall.

I actually want a personality like Jimmy's. Tough. Losing isn't an option type person. He tells it to Andy like it is...I wish Nico had someone like that. :sad:

#57 ·

yeah I know, the personality type is what he needs, at least when it comes to the game :awww: ... but with Nico is impossible, you can't be tough to him, it's impossible really! :banghead: :lol:

#59 · (Edited)

bump

Time to bump this thread.

Because it's time for Nico to seriously consider a new coach.

Only one win under Pato in 2007, from New Haven on.

And he was completely non-competitive against Blake.

I hope to hear when he arrives back in Chile that he's (finally) making some moves to find another coach.

Even Pato and Nano would have to agree. You can't expect to keep your job when a player has zero results.

#60 ·
Re: Time For A New Coach-Or He'll Be In The Challenger Circuit With GG And El Mago

He finally took our advice about the sleevelss shirt, maybe he take our advice about getting a new coach next. :shrug: It obvious Pato isn't doing him any good-I hope he and his dad can see that by now....

#61 ·
Re: Time For A New Coach-Or He'll Be In The Challenger Circuit With GG And El Mago

I'm always positive about Nico but I can't be positive about this matter ... I'm sure that I'll keep seeing ugly's Pato face for more time :ras: :lol:

#64 ·
:p

NicoFan I have a question, actually is something that we need to check but I have no time :lol: ... I guess that Nano's last name is Zulueta or is it Zuleta? :scratch: just check it 'cause I have that doubt since I read our blog :p

#65 ·
the problem is not Nano, Pato o who other

the main problem is NICOLAS MASSU!!!!

BOTTOM LINE!!!! :fiery:

#66 ·
Hey Kid - I'll doublecheck, but I always thought it was Zuleta.

Felipe - you are right - it is Nico. Completely. But a good coach can definitely help. Plus Pato is old - the game has changed. And Nano always has been, always will be a juniors coach.

#67 ·
I'm not sure, but probably you're right about the last name :lol:

oh and I agree, I said the same thing when Nico left Gaby, that no matter if Agassi would be his coach, if he doesn't change his attitude and try to solve his problems, there's no point in getting the greatest coach for him but anyway, let's see what happens :p

#68 ·
I know most of this is Nico's fault, but with that said, a good coach could possibly help.

So yet again...bump...

If I see Pato and/or Nano after Acapulco, I'll cry. :bigcry:

Nicolas Alejandro Massu Fried - por favor, find a good coach - por favor!!!

#71 ·
Gracias for the info. :hug:

:mad:

Definitely time.

I hope that Nico and Papa Massu take this week to go over coaching options.

Yet again, my vote is for an American coach....someone who can work on his hardcourt game. :yeah: (And that would mean that he would play more American tournaments. ;) ).

#75 ·
you have to read what alexito found :p

Expertos orientan a Nicolás Massú en su duro presente
Los ex tenistas Guillermo Vilas y Javier Frana, y los comentaristas Tony Pena y Juan Szafrán desmenuzan el difícil momento del viñamarino. "Debe volver con Gabriel Markus", exige Vilas.

#76 ·
and here it is the complete note, thanks to Alex again :yeah:

what I found hillarious is the one saying that another coach for him could be De la Peña :haha: he actually has no idea about the pass between Nico and Horacio :rolls:

alexito said:
Expertos orientan a Nicolás Massú en su duro presente

Los ex tenistas Guillermo Vilas y Javier Frana, y los comentaristas Tony Pena y Juan Szafrán desmenuzan el difícil momento del viñamarino. "Debe volver con Gabriel Markus", exige Vilas

La temprana eliminación de Nicolás Massú a manos de Sergio Roitman en la Ciudad Jardín alejó al viñamarino de su intento por reinsertarse en los puestos de privilegio de la ATP. Y no fue todo: también dejó un manto de dudas respecto de su nivel.

El "planeta tenis" ha estado expectante frente a la pobre realidad del campeón olímpico. Desde Buenos Aires, el legendario ex jugador argentino Guillermo Vilas ahondó en el sostenido bajón del dos criollo.

"Conozco muy bien a Nicolás y es un jugador de muy buena madera. No ha engordado, ni tiene problemas con la edad. Puede volver a ser lo que era antes. Ahora pasa por un momento difícil y es necesario que tome los recaudos necesarios para salir rápido de este hoyo. ¿Cuáles son? Creo que debe volver con Gabriel Markus", apunta el otrora ganador del US Open, el Abierto de Australia y Roland Garros.

"A veces los jugadores están confundidos. Y cuando uno está perdido en la vida, vuelve al hogar, a donde uno se formó. Y creo que, tenísticamente, para Massú ese lugar es Markus, volver a trabajar con él. Gabriel lo conoce muy bien y puede ayudarlo a escalar rápido en el ranking", añade Vilas.

Los analistas de ESPN Javier Frana, Juan Szafrán y Tony Pena también brindaron luces sobre cómo afrontar el gris panorama.

El primero de ellos -quien fue 30º del mundo en 1995- le proyecta un duro camino al chileno en su afán por retornar a los primeros lugares.

"Le va a costar volver. El circuito ahora es como una secadora de ropa que gira muy rápido. Si sales de ahí es muy difícil reinsertarse", afirmó. En todo caso, según Frana, "por su edad (28 años), Nicolás tiene un par de años de vida útil".

Szafrán, en tanto, afirma que "la garra que tiene 'Nico' es admirable. Esas medallas olímpicas no se las quitará nadie, pero queda una larga temporada para que siga en la lucha, que es donde más cómodo se siente".

El comentarista también tiene palabras para Paul Capdeville, quien ahora le pelea el dos de Chile al viñamarino.

"Tiene más tenis de lo que él mismo cree. Es cuestión de confianza. En todo caso, él no tuvo una preparación física adecuada para un deportista de élite. Tiene 24 años y se ahoga en partidos largos", sostiene.

Por su parte, Pena le recomienda un coach a Massú: Horacio de la Peña. "Una de las personas que más sabe de tenis en el mundo es 'Pato' Rodríguez, pero creo que en este momento Nicolás necesita a alguien que lo haga luchar todos los días, y De la Peña sabe cómo hacerlo".

#77 ·
1st time in mi life that I agree with Vilas :lol:

And I like Horacio too ... After seen him training with the chilean juniors he is just that Nico needs, sadly this will not happen :p

#78 ·
me too :rolls:

and yes Horacio can be good but that is something even more impossible to happen than NF's request of an american coach :lol:

#79 ·
I agree with Vilas too. :yeah: The stupidest thing that Nico has ever done was to fire Gaby the second time. :rolleyes: I don't know if it was completely his decision or his dad's or Nano's, but it was bottom line dumb. Gaby was the best coach for Nico - perfect caoch for Nico. But I highly doubt that even if Nico begged Gaby to come back that Gaby would do it. He puts Gaby through hell. If I were Gaby, I would tell him to screw himself...and I adore Nico. :rolls: And what Nico said about Gaby after he fired him was really unforgivable...I was ashamed for him. :eek:

As for Horacio, I like Horacio and he would also be great for Nico. I don't get their relationship. If the Chilean newspapers can be trusted, Nico did ask Horacio to coach him once before and Horacio would have said yes if Fernando hadn't said no. And when you see them together at tournaments, they seem to get along, and Stefano was sitting with Horacio one time. I've seen Horacio coaching Nico from the stands when Nico and Fernando played doubles together, and Nico was laughing at what Horacio was saying. But there are times when they are at each other throats so I just don't know if they could last long together.

Again, (and yes Kid I do believe in Santa Claus! :rolls: ), I want him to get a different perspective on the game and get an American coach. :fiery: Someone who can help him shorten his points and do better on hardcourts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.