Mens Tennis Forums banner

Canadian players

349K views 5K replies 126 participants last post by  Eric LeClair 
#1 ·
If I start talking about Canadian players, will I be alone? Lol. If anyone else wants to talk about them, let me know please!

Dancevic, Niemeyer, Larose, other players not ranked as high in Canada.

#4,497 ·
If he gains 80 points that will move him up to around 110 in the juniors. Keeping in mind he's born in 94 playing against 92's and 93's that really is amazing. At the start of next year once all of the 92's drop off. There are about 57 players between 1 and 109 born in 92 that will drop off next year, so he'll be lingering around the top 50, especially if he picks up some more points before the end of the year. He'll also be around the 10th highest junior born in 1994. I say next year he steps up, and gets some good results in juniors, and hopefully pick up a few points in the Canadian futures tournaments.

#4,499 ·
Peliwo looks like he will be the next Canadian star. For a while we thought it would be Nguyen, but not really sure what is happening there. Doesn't seem to be focused enough right now. Di Feo also seems to be coming on strong lately. I believe if he wins he gets 180 points and making the finals gets him 120.

#4,502 ·
Greul has just withdrawn from the Seoul CH, that means 2 things, if Milos decides to play it he'll be seeded in a challenger for the first time, and it also means Vasek is the next ALT to get in, 1 more MD withdrawal and he'll be in

#4,504 ·
is ochotta that good??
I never really considered him in the category of those that might even try for pro. maybe i was mistaken then.

as for nguyen, he could have been the next big thing for canada, but he hasn't nearly progressed enough and hasn't developped his game enough to make it easy for him in the next few years. it could be rough for him, especially since he was supposed to be soooo good according to some tennis canada guys...

#4,505 ·
My opinion of him my be a bit biased, because we're kind of friends (I work for his dad), but I used to see him hitting with Adil Shamasdin, and thought that his strokes were, its weird to say, more mature, than most juniors. By this I mean he really hits through the ball more, and doesn't have these ridiculously spun shots. He probably hits a deeper harder ball than most of the other Canadian juniors, so I'm not quite sure where he's losing all of his matches, whether it be fitness or just the mental aspect. But I'd say that if you put Ochotta and Nguyen up against the same senior tour pro, Ochotta would do better.

And I think he will turn pro, his dad's one of the top Tennis Instructors in Canada, and I know he's taken a lot of time off of school to travel around playing tournaments.

#4,506 ·
Milos seems to be struggling a bit against Beck..

#4,508 ·
I remember people saying Beck should be an easy win for Milos, but I kinda had my doubts.. Had a bad feeling before this match. Seems like I was right.

#4,510 ·
no question he's injured, he was hardly missing a first serve until 30-15 in that game he got broken, 4 DF's 2 breaks of serve and 4 games later, the match is as good as over, I sure hope he's alright

#4,512 ·
Why did he retire? Why do all the Canadians get injured? :(

#4,513 ·
I don't know but it seemed pretty sudden. He missed 2 serves total until 3-4 30-15, then he missed 6 in a row, and won like 1 point in the next 4 games, definately wasn't sickness or anything, I think he is injured

#4,514 ·
hi all, was gone a couple days

so..milos beat somdev and thats great, i have to apologize for being so negative and im glad i was wrong

unfortunately either milos was tired and thats what happened here or..what i was afraid would happen has happened and he's gotten injured from playing so much..

#4,515 ·
I remember last year he broke his hand and was out for like 6-8 weeks. I can only assume that since his serve was affected, it could either be that it happened again to his serving hand or that it could be a shoulder related injury.

Ya, I don't really know what is up with Canadians and always getting injured. Our three best players have all had some and then you look at Federer and I don't think he has ever had one significant one till last year and his back, but that didn't last long.

Could it be that he purposely threw the match away so that he could play another tournament?

#4,519 ·
I don't understand that though. He was only in his third tournament in a row and he played what 9 or 10 matches? I think it has more to do with the time lag. He was in three different time zones in three weeks so I believe it might just be shoulder fatigue at this point. I hope I am wrong, but this could probably mean that he will shut it down for the rest of the season. I mean he only had two more tournaments that he was going to play, right? He will be at around 150 next week, which is a bummer because he will not be seeded for the AO Qualy draw.

Get well Milos!!!

#4,521 ·
I think he was planning on playing more than 2 more tournaments. He's in the entry list to Seoul, the ALT list for St. Petersburg(probably was gonna play qualies), and the ALT list for Basel/Valencia qualies so may have got in there, and that's only the entry lists that are out, the challengers after that(2 or 3 more weeks of them) haven't been released so he may have chose to play them as well if he was really serious about the AO. I really hope he's ok, hopefully, it isn't some serious shoulder problem and instead it was just starting to hurt of fatigue, so he can take a week off and rest up for the rest of the year, but I have a feeling it could be his year over with. Only time will tell

#4,522 ·
Vasek got DE into Seoul, while Milos still hasn't withdrawn from Seoul according to The entry list, maybe that's good news that it wasn't too bad an injury or maybe he wants the AO so bad he's risking furthur injury, I really hope it's the former

#4,523 · (Edited)
i really hope its the former because he would nothing short of an ediot to risk further in jury

i'm sure he's smart enough to pull out if need be though

lets give it until about sunday and if he doesnt withdraw by then it'll be assumed he's okay..but from his description of how his shoulder just kept getting worse i would assume he's out for a couple weeks

#4,525 ·
lets give it until about sunday and if he doesnt withdraw by then it'll be assumed he's okay..but from his description of how his shoulder just kept getting worse i would assume he's out for a couple weeks
It really didn't seem like a kind of injury that gradually got worse and worse. He was doing rather fine up until 30-15 in that 3-4 game. He had only missed 2 first serves, and 3 points on his serve total, he was doing horrible on return only winning 2 points in the 4 games though but he seemed perfectly fine until that point. Then he missed 6 serves in a row to DF the break to Beck, and only won 2 or 3 more points total after that before he retired. Definetely seemed to me like something happened on that 15-15 all point which Milos won that caused and injury but hey he would know better that me.

That being said if it was a sudden injury that made it impossible for him to play then he probably would have withdrawn which he hasn't done so that makes me seems optimistic that it was just a little fatigue and shoulder pain, and it may be gone by the time next week gets here.

Like you said we'll just have to wait and see what he decides, but I'm much more optimistic then I was last night following the scoreboard, really seemed like his season could have been over the way that match ended

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.