Mens Tennis Forums banner

Gilles Simon's Chat Thread #2

131K views 3K replies 72 participants last post by  mike s. 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
CHAT THREAD PART ONE

:wavey:

Finally, I have my diploma and transcript of record (grades) with me
. I can look for a job now :). And my graduation ceremony in college is April 4. :D In some schools like ours we don't have a graduation ceremony if you graduated in October or May. The common graduation month is April. First semester here starts from June to October and second semester starts on November to April.
I graduated last October, so if you graduate on October you can join the graduation ceremony in April.
:bigclap: Congrats, Raine! :aparty: I hope you find a good job soon, good luck :hug:

But you're not gonna come here to fight with me for the boys, are you? :toothy: :p

#2 · (Edited)
Re: Gilles Simon's Chat Thread

Many congratulations Raine:hug: :aparty::banana: Hope you get the job you deserve after your hard work;):hug:

Thanks Les,Eimear,Ellen for the moral support with my football team:hug::hug::hug: I have the same views about the way they get paid for non-performances. Thats my rant after every poor performance. I feel as a fan that I should be the one to say 'You're crap,there's the door,get out of this Club and don't come back even to play against this team:fiery:,sacked on the spot with no payoff.

There is far too much money in football. If they worked for the wages semi-professionals do(in Non League football),there wouldn't be all the sourpusses,giant egos and pathetic attitudes. All they can say is'Football is a business'. 'Yes,but its a sport,where people are tribal in their support. Teams should do all they can to involve their paying customers on and indeed off the pitch. How can fans be involved when the game is in front of them, when the performances are so apathetic?:shrug:

All players do is turn up for training in Ferraris, as a symbol of their wealth,and because they have more money than they know what to do with,they think that is more important than representing the club they play for in training and on matchday. Money doesn't buy pride,it comes from within. In other words money is more important to them than the reason they get the money.

The great Brian Clough used to put a football down on the dressing room floor and say 'This is what you're chasing' 'Now go out and enjoy yourselves'. He kept things simple. He hated the ball being punted up in the air saying 'If God wanted football played up in the clouds he would have put a pitch up there' All his teams passed the ball to feet, pass and move, pass and move. How I wish these methods were applied today,no complicated team talks, Cloughie barely even gave a team talk,he didn't need to. He signed strikers for a lot of money though because he believed it was the hardest job in the game to score goals(as indeed it is).

Maazou,he's one big loser alright:spit: I'm with you Ellen. He won't be missed at Lokeren, you have plenty of players who want to do well and already have done;)

Hi Maria,Vicky:wavey: Hope you're both well;)

#5 ·

Thanks everyone. I really hope I can find a good job. I'll accept any job that is available right now for me, after all it is hard to look for one nowadays especially with the economy.

:lol: I was not here when you were discussing Metallica's songs. I was a Metallica fan. Up until now, rock is my favorite genre.

Di.. sorry for your football team

Ellen.. sure why not? *grabs Ernie and Gilles and hides them to my room*

All_is_onUSA: What episode are you in Bleach right now?

Reactions: Truc
#6 ·

:lol: I was not here when you were discussing Metallica's songs. I was a Metallica fan. Up until now, rock is my favorite genre.
Metallica! :hearts: Rock! :dance:

Ellen.. sure why not? *grabs Ernie and Gilles and hides them to my room*
Nooooooooo :sobbing: Not the 2 sweetest boys of all! :armed: I'm gonna get you, Raine! Be afraid! :fiery: Be very afraid...

*grabs Nole and Mario as fast as I can and protect them from evil Raine :p*

#16 ·

Fran, quick question for you. Myself and Tess are just having a bit of a chat and we got to talking about tennis players who smoke cigarettes and we were just wondering if you knew whether any of the French players smoke?

#17 ·

Ask the expert! :lol: :cool:
There are tons of people who know French tennis better than I do, you know, I've been following it for a couple of years only. The others just don't post as much as I do.

Marc Gicquel smokes or still used to smoke not so long ago, I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it more than once from people I trust.
Grosjean used to be an occasional smoker, but I doubt he still is. That's sure too, Wertheim (?) mentioned it once in an article, he had seen Seb smoking in the hotel lounge and was very shocked. And Seb also says it in the book he published together with Arnaud, "Passing Potes", they say that they smoked after their semi-final in Melbourne.
Escudé smoked and he still smokes a lot, but he doesn't play anymore. I don't know for the young generation, it's more the older generation, I think.
I think CoocooCachoo says he saw Faurel smoke, but he's a Challenger player. Olivier Mutis smoked, that's sure, but he hardly plays anymore.

A lot of French coaches smoke, I always find that quite shocking when I see them together with the players at tournaments. Thierry Champion, the former coach of Paulo and Monfils, for example.

There was a thread about it in GM, I'll look for it.

#18 ·

Yup Fran :lol: I knew you'd be able to give me some answers. I was wondering about Gilles because one of the DC pictures in which his smiling and showing his teeth seems to show that he has 'smokers teeth' Tess agreed with me. I think that's how we got on to the subject actually. Thanks for all the info though ... I knew you'd be able to help somehow :lol:

#19 · (Edited)

That's the thread I meant:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=102512&
There is a lot of BS, though, some people throw in names just for the sake of it.
Gaël is mentioned, I doubt it's true, but I don't know. People sometimes say he drinks alcohol too and it's not true, he hates alcohol, so people assume a lot of things about him.
Pioline smokes, that's true. A lot of people smoke in French tennis. Noah used to smoke when he was an active player, it's a tradition!

Gilles would be very surprising, but I have no idea.

#20 ·

Oh I'm just looking at that thread ... you're right ... some names are thrown in for the sake of it but you're right, a lot of the French players seem to be mentioned :lol: Thanks for that Fran. I appreciate it

#21 ·
I have a question for the French people amongst us :) I really wanna go to RG for a week (qualies week), so maybe some of you know secret cheap hotels or something? I have no idea if there are apartments there too, because I wouldn't mind to cook my own dishes :) A tent in someone's garden would be nice too :p :lol:

#25 ·

Can't really help you there ellen sorry...
There is a thread in GM http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=122240 maybe you can find some good tips there ?
Or you could befriend :kiss: Roland Garros' gardener or concierge, maybe he would let you set up your tent on Center Court :lol:

I love that "secret cheap hotel" concept. If it is very cheap and very secret it might be a bit difficult for the owner to make a living out of it though :lol:

#24 ·

I'll keep you posted for sure Fran. I've been googling without much success. I might try asking Xavier and Marion and see if they can tell me anything and I'll let you know ;)

#26 ·

Hey Xavier :hug: I don't know if you read the posts above but would you be able to help? It was just a conversation I had with Tess and I seem to have piqued Fran's interest as to whether the younger generation of French players smoke or not. I have my suspicions about Gilles but not sure about the others

#28 ·

Yeah its always surprising when people who are so fit and into their bodies would put such poisonous chemicals into their bodies but a fair few of them do!

#31 ·

Hi Alli! :wavey:

Did you have fun watching Stan at DC? I didn't get to see any of it, but did see he had a win over Blake, at least there was one win for you to celebrate! I'd love to go to a DC tie, never been but I'd love to experience the raucous atmosphere.

#32 ·

Awesome! Funny about being caught on camera, I know what you mean, going crazy cheering at a sports event isn't the best look, I'm always paranoid about getting caught on camera at the football looking like a dork. I guess there wouldn't have been too many people for the cameras to pan to cheering after Stan won a point so uou stood out :) Good that no-one bugged you about cheering for 'the enemy' :lol: I got to see Stan in one of his AO matches this year and I agree that backhand is beautiful when it comes off.

This post has been deleted
#34 ·

Hi Alli, thanks for your testimony:). It's always fun to have first hand report. You'd think that among the 160 french fans in Ostrava, one or two of them would speak english and be a member of the forum, so I hope we'll have the same thing for our match...

ellen is the one in need of "secret cheap hotel" in Paris, Cloudy (see previous page). Get in touch with her she will certainly love your tips :)

#36 ·

Sounds like you had a great time at the DC tie Alison! You're really lucky. I bet the atmosphere must have been absolutely amazing. It sounded good on television so I can only imagine what it was like live :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.