Mens Tennis Forums banner

1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson, etc.

150K views 1K replies 22 participants last post by  145888 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to start a thread to keep track of some upcoming juniors.

Name: Noah Rubin
Birthday: 02-21-1996 (15 years old)
Junior Ranking: 42
ATP Ranking: N/A
Description: Noah recently captured his first G1 title (Copa Del Cafe 2012, hardcourt) two weeks ago and is currently at a career high junior ranking of 42 with only 5 itf starts :worship:. His ranking will continue to rise b/c of this week's play at G1 Copa Barranquilla (clay); will play in the quarterfinal. He was a finalist at the Les Petits As a couple of years ago. Noah seems to have a solid game, but he seems kinda short though when standing next to Farren Connor at the Copa Del Cafe final (Connor is listed at 5'11"). However, Noah is two years younger so let's hope that he can add some inches.

Name: Thai-Son Kwiatkowski
Birthday: 02-13-1995 (16 years old)
Junior Ranking: 84
ATP Ranking: N/A
Description: Despite the name, he is not a Thai descendent :lol: :shrug:. He is actually 1/4 Polish and 3/4 Vietnamese (from local paper). He is close to his career high in junior ranking but the last couple of weeks had him focusing on futures qualifying (not very successful thus far). He has a nice forehand. Here is an old video of him from the local news: Link

Might add more players later.

See less See more
#567 · (Edited)
UVA is a top tennis program in the country. The have been ranked anywhere from number 1 to 3, except one year (7) in the last 12 years. he amount of players that came out that program and hit highs in college tennis or even made it further, ATP/Challenger/Futures level is second to none. USC is prpbably the only school in recent history that can compete with them as far as results and the roster of players, but not this upcoming year though.

Styslinger won his match btw, Ryan Shane and Uriquen lost their matches. Not great results from the youngsters: Thai, Shane,Uriguen went down. Jenkins went down easily to Harrison. Justin Shane losing and Richmond lost the forst set and down a break.

#565 ·
i ve seen Paul play a few times, not in the last 6 months though, and i would not describe his game as crafty. Kozlov is crafty, Paul is a steady baseliner,with sufficient power for a medium built kid that is still growing. Does everything well no major weapons, pretty average serve (will get better with time), second serve is a liability for now. Again, I have not seen him in the last 6 months where he seemed to make significant progress, once he switched over to L' Academie de Tennis.

#569 ·
I would have liked to see him get a different opponent. He will have a very hard time with Martinez. Knows him from juniors, will have more pressure playing his own age group and plus now he s expected to win this match. I don t have a good vibe on this one. Plus, Martinez is a grinder like no other, plays like Monaco, competes very well. Advantage Martinez , unfortunately.

#589 · (Edited)
Phenomenal win by Noah. Nevolo was a top 10, top 5 ranked singles player in college. He was described as more of a crafty, *all-around player rather than a hard hitting player, so maybe that helped Noah out a little bit. :shrug:

I'm super impressed too. Even 12 year old Claire Lui won her match against much much much older competition. Amazing!

*edit: meant to say this

#602 · (Edited)
Did not play well? That could be said about anybody who loses a match. Did Nevolo or Jason Jung play well and lost? We don t know that they also feel that they did not play well. Or are you saying that Rubin can only lose if he does not play well?

Sekou is older, more experienced and probably stronger but then again we did not use these comments when Rubin beat Nevolo or Jung, who are also bigger, stronger, more experienced and etc. we can t just pull out " did not play well, bigger older, stronger" card to justify a loss.

Noah is doing fine, competing on a low level futures level at 16 and winning matches, getting to the semis. He is not going to dominate the futures scene just yet. Does not have the game or the ability yet but watch out in a year or two.

There are other kids his age who are not dominating futures yet but certainly have semifinals and finals appearance almost every other week. Quinzi, Edmund Kokkinakis, nishioka, pavlasek, saville, and a few others. It will be interesting to see if Noah can break top 1000 in the next 6 months. The guys I mentioned are anywhere from 300 to 800 ATP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.