~~ GOAT discussions ~~ Vol. 2 (Boris Becker's argument regarding Roger) - Page 186 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How relevant is it to GOAT discussions

Very relevant. It is even more important than slams 6 4.48%
It is the next metric after slams 98 73.13%
No, it is not relevant at all 22 16.42%
It will only be relevant when Rafa wins it 8 5.97%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #2776
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~~ GOAT discussions ~~ Vol. 2 (Boris Becker's argument regarding Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
I'm not desperate to keep Federer on top, but that's where he is now. If someone passes him, fine, but it won't be Connors who's long since retired. Connors simply didn't win enough important tournaments and didn't beat enough good players in the tournaments he did win. Sure, he's got good wins like the one time he beat Borg at 22, but others have more. So I rank him 6th in the Open era, if we disregard the players straddling both eras, behind Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Borg and Lendl.
I AGREE! Borg at 22 though was much more advanced than most players at that age.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #2777
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~~ GOAT discussions ~~ Vol. 2 (Boris Becker's argument regarding Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
thanks for passing this information, I am ignorant too and thought Emerson won all his slams when Laver etc were there
The amateur tennis establishment, especially in the US, did all they could to ignore and down play the pro tour, to promote the amateur tournaments. It wasn't the fans fault they where unaware of what was going on in the pro tour.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #2778
country flag phase3

phase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond reputephase3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
I'm not desperate to keep Federer on top, but that's where he is now. If someone passes him, fine, but it won't be Connors who's long since retired. Connors simply didn't win enough important tournaments and didn't beat enough good players in the tournaments he did win. Sure, he's got good wins like the one time he beat Borg at 22, but others have more. So I rank him 6th in the Open era, if we disregard the players straddling both eras, behind Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Borg and Lendl.
Oh how generous of you to award Connors 6th place.

This study has nothing to do with me, but let me repeat its not who won the most slams. It's taking the total player into consideration. And in doing so Connors and Borg come out on top.

I don't PERSONALLY agree with it. I'm passing on the article I found on the subject. Federer is the man for the time being. But it's now a fragile lead. At worst Nadal will match it in the next five years. I can see two more French opens and one more Hard court slam coming from him when his body and mind are as one.

Then is will simply come down to tournament wins. And we may still not be able to say Nadal is a clear GOAT. But neither will we be able to say Federer is either. That's the interesting part.

Because when you have two players with the same slam count. And this player has things that player doesn't have and vice versa. It will all be opinion. If Nadal reaches 18 then that will be something else again. We have five years to find out.
phase3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #2779
country flag DavisCup2014

DavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDavisCup2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase3 View Post
Ive never see such ignorance on a forum. THE REASON CONNORS, AND BORG. Topped Federer was OVERALL STATS. Winning percentages etc. If Connors won. Match 6/2 6/2. He would score over another player winning 7/6 7/6.

It wasn't purely about who had the most slams, titles or weeks at number one. It came down to TOTAL PLAYING STATS. If you put Connors tops Federer as greatest player ever in the search. You will find the article.
Troll is trolling

everyone in this thread is a little more dumb for reading your views

enough, step away from the keyboard!
DavisCup2014 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote