Mens Tennis Forums banner

2014 Season, Fin!

50K views 721 replies 29 participants last post by  Gillouthe best 
#1 · (Edited)
Happy bday to Gilles. Happy New Year to everyone.

First tournament of the year, Brisbane. Hope for a very good start for the year.

Draw:
Federer - BYE
Nieminen - Duckworth
Matosevic - Benneteau
Querrey - Tursunov

Anderson - BYE
Groth - [Q]
Sijsling - Mahut
Mannarino - Chardy

Lopez - Kukushkin
Hewitt - [Q]
[Q] - [Q]
Simon - BYE

Dimitrov - Haase
Istomin - Cilic
Kyrgios - Ebden
Nishikori - BYE

Allez!

See less See more
#123 ·
Finally it won't be Mika, Gicquel beated him in straights today. I didn't knew Marc kept playing, he's 37 now :eek: .

Also, in doubles Gilles won with Rufin 13-11 in the 3rd set Super Tie Break, quite an achievement for Gilles in doubles :lol:

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#130 ·
Re: 2014, Season Down Under

Gilles :mad: :banghead: . He made me a bit more encouraged about 2014 when he said that he worked a lot on the off-season and that he thought he wouldn't be injured as much this season. But so far 3 tournaments, in which he, according to himself, hasn't played 100%. First, the knee in Brisbane, then the ankle twist in the AO and now the back again in Montpellier :sad: . And also, this season he has already two losses vs outside Top-100 guys ( Copil and 36 year old Gicquel :rolleyes: ).

Also, he was saying on the DC week that he was playing great on practice and that it was just a matter of putting it into practice, he's been saying that since the off-season, I guess when he will do it. I hope it will be in the upcoming weeks, he's defending SF points in both Rotterdam and Marseille. But maybe dropping out of Top-20 will help him, who knows.

#131 ·

I'm really annoyed at him, if the back was bothering him a bit then why is he playing doubles? He says the right things but I have my doubts that he's really committed to making sure his body is healthy because we know how stubborn he can be.

#132 · (Edited)

Here's the press conference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1N6CYZ_1fk&feature=youtu.be&a

He looks so done with the injuries.
For those of you who don't understand French, the main points are :
- He says the health is not great
- The journalist tries to understand what's wrong and he answers he doesn't want to say too much since he's playing Rotterdam and there are a lot of French players in the draw. The journalist says "ok let's say the back" but he doesn't really confirm nor deny so who knows.
- He tried to do the best he could today. Thinks that he had great "feels" one the court and that without pain he would have had a quite easy match. That if Gicquel had played a bit worse he probably would have won.
- When asked how long he has felt pain, he says one week.
- He talks about the decision of going on court. Says that he considers it its job to go and do the best he can.
- Says that his movement especially was "not so great"
- Talks about the surface, says that he really liked it and is "extremely sad" that he couldn't "express himself" on it. Also that given the De schepper/Olivetti match yesterday the surface clearly shouldn't be quicker (for those who didn't watch any of it - great decision - it was terrible)

Update : and I just saw that he gave an interview claiming that 2014 was going to be an amazing year because his preparation should prevent injuries. Great timing as always :p

#134 ·

Rotterdam Draw:

[1] Del Potro vs. Monfils
Qualifier vs. Dodig
Gulbis vs. Istomin
Tursunov vs. [8] Dimitrov

[3] Berdych vs. Seppi
Mahut vs. Simon
Janowicz vs. Benneteau
Verdasco vs. [6] Haas

[7] Youhzny vs. Sijsling
Huta Galung vs. Qualifier
Kohlschreiber vs. Qualifier
De Bakker vs. [4] Gasquet

[5] Tsonga vs. Mayer
Cilic vs. Rosol
Qualifier vs. Nieminem
Roger-Vasselin vs. [2] Murray

Good luck, Gilles.

#135 ·
#136 ·

This is depressing news, but finally the right decision made by Gilles. He shouldn't play while he's injured at 250/500 events, he has enough titles. If he wants to peak for the Masters and Slams as he says, he needs to be healthy.

#138 ·

Man, it's starting to feel hopeless. Like it may be the beginning of the end. By that I mean either he will be fed up with the injuries and decide to just hang it up and be with his kids or he won't but the injuries will keep coming and prevent him from really being able to make decent runs anywhere again. I hope not, but the thought is definitely there with me. Speedy recovery Gilles!

#139 ·

Sad news, hopefully he'll recover just in time for IW.

#143 ·
Re: 2014, Season at the Americas!

Acapulco draw:

[1] Ferrer, David - Kukushin, Mikhail
Lopez, Feliciano - Roger-Vasselin, Edouard
Querrey, Sam - [WC] Hank, Tigre
Qualifier - [5] Anderson, Kevin

[3] Isner, John - [WC]Karlovic, Ivo
Sela, Dudi - Qualifier
Chardy, Jeremy - Ebden, Matthew
Dolgopolov, Alexandr - [8] Pospisil, Vasek

[7] Gulbis, Ernests - Lu, Yen-Hsun
Kubot, Lukasz - Qualifier
[WC]Reyes-Varela Miguel Angel - [WC]Baghdatis, Marcos
Matosevic, Marinko - [4]Dimitrov, Grigor

[6] Simon, Gilles - Qualifier
Melzer, Jurgen - Nieminen, Jarkko
Sousa, Joao - Mannarino, Adrian
[SE] Andujar, Pablo - [2] Murray, Andy

He's in double too, teaming up with Chardy.
Allez Gilles. Win sth.

#147 ·
Re: 2014, Season at the Americas!

First match tomorrow on Court 3.
[6] Gilles Simon (FRA) v [LL] Donald Young (USA)

and then 3rd match on Court 1.
Jeremy Chardy (FRA)/Gilles Simon (FRA) v [4] Eric Butorac (USA)/Raven Klaasen (RSA)

Allez, and double allez to him to Jeremy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.