Mens Tennis Forums banner

2014 Season, Fin!

50K views 721 replies 29 participants last post by  Gillouthe best 
#1 · (Edited)
Happy bday to Gilles. Happy New Year to everyone.

First tournament of the year, Brisbane. Hope for a very good start for the year.

Draw:
Federer - BYE
Nieminen - Duckworth
Matosevic - Benneteau
Querrey - Tursunov

Anderson - BYE
Groth - [Q]
Sijsling - Mahut
Mannarino - Chardy

Lopez - Kukushkin
Hewitt - [Q]
[Q] - [Q]
Simon - BYE

Dimitrov - Haase
Istomin - Cilic
Kyrgios - Ebden
Nishikori - BYE

Allez!

See less See more
#29 ·
Re: 2014, Season Down Under

I'm so gutted right now... I saw him roll his ankle and didn't think it was too serious. Looks like he can get injured doing basically anything nowadays.

Here's to hoping going out of the top 20 will motivate him more. Honestly when was the last tournament he played 100%? Metz?

#34 ·

Is there a confirmation that he has forfeited? Besides L'Equipe's article...but on twitter those French Journalists are still saying he's wanting to play.
As of this morning, Eric Salliot (a French journalist who saw Gilles in Melbourne) said Gilles hadn't officially withdrawn yet. He said the FFT had (wrongly) reported that Gilles had pulled out, and said this was the source everyone else was quoting. He didn't think that Gilles would be able to play, though... his theory was that Gilles was trying to help out his fellow Frenchies - if he withdraws late enough (I think after play officially starts on Monday, or maybe after Tuesday's OOP is released, not sure of the rule) then no other players will be moved and lucky loser (Frenchman, Stephane Robert) would replace Gilles against Daniel Brands. There is a little confusion about who would be moved if Gilles withdrew earlier, but the two players being suggested are Benneteau and Monfils - and both would probably much rather stay where they are in the draw.

So it does seem possible that Gilles is just trying to do his French team-mates a good turn here... although it is fantastic news that he is off crutches already, and walking unaided.

#37 ·

Thanks DBR, for clearing up the confusion.
You're very welcome. I didn't want to post any news until Gilles himself said something officially. There has been so much bad reporting recently about players' injuries.

It's really unfair Gilles is having more problems after everything he's already been through, so fingers crossed he can recover quickly and get back to playing well very soon.

#36 ·

Well, if they were wrong about him officially forfeiting (they posted it on their facebook page to) and he's now already off crutches and moving better, then hopefully they will be wrong about the whole 6 weeks thing in the statement too. Hopefully he'll be back sooner. But yeah, great to hear that he's improved already so much. It really bummed me out and it was looking and sounding bad. This makes me a little more hopeful again.

#40 ·
#41 ·

Wow! I just totally didn't see this being the case after what happened and what was reported following it. To go from the possibility of a four to six week absence to ready to get back at it in about four days since the injury makes me leery. I just hope that Gilles truly is being rational about it and not trying to force the issue because we all know how he can be and how he often times acts against his own best interest. I just hope it won't lead to something worse if it's still in a vulnerable state. I mean he's going to need all his speed to be running down balls being blasted against the powerhouse that is Brands. Good luck Gilles. :cheerleader:

#42 ·

It seems to me like the media jumped the gun. The L'Equipe bit today said it didn't hurt anymore. Even though they quoted De Witt said on friday that it seem so serious they were sure he's done and was almost planning surgery :rolleyes:. Obviously, the severity of the injury is greatly exaggerated by the indirect party.

Eric Salliot's tweet 11 hours ago:
Gilles Simon, il a quelques instants: 'Laisse moi tranquille, je vais taper la balle.''

:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.