Mens Tennis Forums banner

Glide on Terre Battue to victory, clay season 2011

46K views 964 replies 36 participants last post by  lalaland 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, me again, opening yet another thread for the clay season, but now, Gilles should be immune to my jinx ;).

I see this clay season as the most important portion of the season for Gilles, mainly because there are 3 majors tournaments (Madrid, Roma and RG) and no point for him to defend. Also because he's pretty consistent every year in the second half of the year, but it's hard to tell what he will manage on clay, so I think his performance this clay season will play a big part in what ranking he will end this season at. So allez Gilles, you like the red stuff, no?

First up, Casablanca next week. Gilles seeded #3, has a bye and most likely start play on thurs.

His section of the draw:

Starace/Brands
Machado/Ramirez Hidalgo
Bolelli/Gil
Bye/Simon

If he gets out of this section, the potential SF opponent is #2 seed Baggy.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2011/360/mds.pdf

See less See more
#12 ·
Re: Glide on Terra Battu to victory, clay season 2011

Oh we're in sync then! :lol:
I'm going to get an early night, me and a friend are going for a long walk tomorrow along one of Scotland's most beautiful glens, Glen Affric, it's one of the few places with remnant of the old Caledonian pine forest. Really looking forward to it!

(not my pic but I'm hoping for the same kind of weather!)

#18 ·

I'm looking forward to my first clay season ;) the first clay matches I watched properly were the DC ones in Austria this year! I never used to bother with this part of the season, I was missing so much! :)

#21 ·

Well, me again, opening yet another thread for the clay season, but now, Gilles should be immune to my jinx ;).
We should probably just decree by unanimous consent that you are now to open all the playing threads. :D

#23 ·

I think he requested to play thurs scotso, gives his neck/back more time to get better :)

#28 ·

According to Bibich on Welovetennis (who lives at Morocco and works for the tournament), Gilles withdraw for Casablanca.
Waiting for the confirmation.
I finally see where this appears on WLT.
If he really had already w/o, then it will confirm my suspicion that tournaments don't announced w/o until the very last min, or delay it as long as possible so they can continue to sell tickets with the big names on the draw. Can't blame them though.

We'll wait for confiramtion. I don't mind one way or the other. If he needs the time to recover from the injury, then I'm happy that he's sensible enough to take the rest he needs. If he decides to play, then I'm glad that he gets some practice before the big tournament next week, plus there'll be stream ;). Actually, I kinda hope that he plays since we got stream, but that's kind of selfish of me :eek:.

#27 · (Edited)

Oh no :( It would be a good warm up for the major clay season tournaments :(

Is it 100% sure by the way?

--

At the official site they announced that Ferrero, Granollers and Mayer are OUT but nothing for Gillou!

#34 ·

According to L'Equipe video commentary, he's going to play tomorrow.

btw, which language is "terra battu"? :eek:

:lol:
Houston called their's terra battu, so I just stole it from them ;). You can call it the American spelling of the French words, if there's such thing. :lol:
I don't claim to know French, so I don't want to change it to terre battue :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.