8. Hernych, Jan CZE 60
9. Lee, Hyung-Taik KOR 61
10. Malisse, Xavier BEL 62
11. Zabaleta, Mariano ARG 63
12. Fish, Mardy USA 64
13. Kohlschreiber, Philipp GER 65

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm more than 90% positive 2 of the WCs are going to Fish and either Blake or Gambill. Also they will offer WCs to former champions - Kuerten and Enqvist.

Of the direct entries, I think Safin (knee surgery) & Cañas (injury and doping issue) might not be coming. Also Haas is borderline coming back from his ankle ligament tear - I really hope he´s better in time cause I really enjoy watching him play.

Looking forward to seeing Puerta, Gasquet, and Oli Rochus for the first time this year :)

#4 ·
I hope Verdasco, Malisse, Zabaleta, and Baghdatis enter the qualies.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
7/24/05 e-mail from tournament:
MEN'S 2005 PREVIEW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every player ranked high enough to get in has signed up for the 107th year of Cincinnati's world-class tennis tradition: The Western & Southern Financial Group MASTERS. Some of the men expected to play for the 2005 title are three-time Wimbledon champion and world No. 1 Roger Federer, French Open champ and teen phenom Rafael Nadal, three-time and defending champion Andre Agassi, 2003 champ and Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick, emerging star Richard Gasquet of France, Australian Open champion Marat Safin, as well as such stars as returning finalist Lleyton Hewitt and 2000 finalist Tim Henman, to name only a few.

Also, the tournament has extended wild cards to Americans James Blake, one half of the 2003 Doubles Championship team in Cincinnati and Mardy Fish, 2004 Athens Olympics silver medallist. These and other players will be competing in a 64-man draw for a piece of the $2.45 million total purse, with the singles winner walking away with $400,000. Cincinnati's tournament is the oldest in the nation still played in its original city, and it is now one of the most prestigious in the world. Great tickets are still available! Click the link below for information.

#8 ·
Why don't we have PAW for wildcards into tournaments? I'd so kick a** at it :)

#9 ·
So where is this rumor that Andy Murray will get a WC coming from? I just don't see that happening.

#10 ·
i feel that Ronny Ginepri has more of a case of a Wild Card then Murray, don't worry dude those Brits feel that Murray is the greatest thing since sliced bread and feel that tournament directors should be begging him to play at their tournaments! The final Wild Card may go to Kuerten I guess or Philippoussis

#11 ·
I honestly don't think Kuerten is going to come.

There are two WCs remaining. They will probably give one to Ginepri now that he won Indy.

The Poo doesn't have a shot - not a tourney fave, sorry.

The other is still up in the air - Murray has a shot since the tournament director doesn't have his (insert your fave colorful metaphor here) and gives wildcards based on merit. For the women's event they gave a WC to a 15 year old from Denmark I'd never even heard of who apparently created some sort of buzz at Wimbledon. Murray has some good results this summer and being British is also a plus since there are quite a few ex-pats and Henman always has a crowd full of supporters here. I'm almost certain if he asked for a WC into the qualies the tourney would give him one without hesitation.

#12 ·
Also, keep in mind that they will hold one wild card back until the last minute. In the event that someone who would have had to qualify in Cincinnati gets to the final weekend in Montreal, that person get the last wild card.

Personally, I'd like to see Guga get the wild card, or possibly Murray, but Ginepri does seem most likely.

#13 ·
Eclectic Goddess said:
Also, keep in mind that they will hold one wild card back until the last minute. In the event that someone who would have had to qualify in Cincinnati gets to the final weekend in Montreal, that person get the last wild card.
Actually, anyone still playing in the SFs at Montreal who was slated to play qualies at Cincy will be awarded a SE (Special Excemption). My memory's a bit foggy at the moment, but this happened last year and I believe Thomas Johansson got an SE - before they were going to give him a WC, but since he got the SE, Alex Bogomov I think got a WC instead. But they do hold one back until the 11th hour. :p

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure that JMG has asked for a Cincy wildcard, but I don't think he will get one unless he does well for the next two weeks in these Canadian Challengers. He has to show them that he's healthy, playing well, and won't waste it. I suppose that Gimelstob and Goldstein will also ask for them, since they are the other highest ranked Americans that didn't get in directly.

I have no problem with Murray getting a WC into qualies, that's fair enough.

#15 · (Edited)
Eclectic Goddess said:
That's what the special exempt is for. Only a player who makes to the semifinal of Montreal and is on the qualifying list for Cincinnati can receive can earn the special exempt into Cincinnati. If there is no such player still alive in Montreal when the Cincinnati main draw is made, the special exempt is cleared & the highest alternate gets in the main draw. The special exempt is under the authority of the ATP & is not an "extra" wild card for the tournament organizers.

The wild cards for the main draw must be assigned by the time of the main draw (if they are unassigned at the time of the draw, the highest players on the alternate list get direct entry). The fact sheet isn't out yet, but last year the main draw was Friday afternoon. If it's at the same time this year, that will be during the middle of the Montreal quarterfinals.

#16 ·
Okay, consider me set straight regarding the wild card / special exempt matter. I guess that's what I get for tuning out whenever the officials start talking during the draw party.

smucav said:
The fact sheet isn't out yet, but last year the main draw was Friday afternoon. If it's at the same time this year, that will be during the middle of the Montreal quarterfinals.
The draw IS going to be held on Friday afternoon, on the 12th.

Reactions: LaTenista
#17 ·
Ethical or not, last year at the draw party the tournament director postponed starting the draw ceremony until after Johansson's match had finished. As he got word ToJo had won/received the SE, he announced he was giving the last wildcard to Bogomov. Only then did they start placing the seeds into the draw.

I guess if the SE candiate is playing in the last QF at Montreal (which I don't believe starts until after the Cincy draw has been made) as long as they win, they will get added to the Cincy draw anyway, right?

#18 ·
LaTenista said:
Ethical or not, last year at the draw party the tournament director postponed starting the draw ceremony until after Johansson's match had finished. As he got word ToJo had won/received the SE, he announced he was giving the last wildcard to Bogomov. Only then did they start placing the seeds into the draw.
I remember that.

#19 ·
Good luck:

Federer, Roger SUI 1
3 Nadal, Rafael ESP 3
18 Gonzalez, Fernando CHI 18
21 Ferrer, David ESP 21
24 Lopez, Feliciano ESP 24
26 Hrbaty, Dominik SVK 26
27 El Aynaoui, Younes MAR 27
30 Dent, Taylor USA 29
41 Andreev, Igor RUS 40
43 Berdych, Tomas CZE 42
44 Srichaphan, Paradorn THA 43
46 Chela, Juan Ignacio ARG 45
48 Beck, Karol SVK 47
50 Spadea, Vincent USA 49
5. Carlsen, Kenneth DEN 55
10. Hernych, Jan CZE 60
11. Lee, Hyung-Taik KOR 61
13. Zabaleta, Mariano ARG 63

#20 ·
#22 ·
Lets go:

Johansson, Thomas
Johansson, Joachim
Gasquet, Richard
Novak, Jiri
Ancic, Mario
Rusedski, Greg
Andreev, Igor
Mardy Fish

#23 ·
Aleksa's Laydee said:
Lets go:

Johansson, Thomas
Johansson, Joachim
Gasquet, Richard
Novak, Jiri
Ancic, Mario
Rusedski, Greg
Andreev, Igor
Mardy Fish
Joachim Johansson is out for the rest of the year following his shoulder surgery, so he won't be there.

#24 ·
Bobby Reynolds for the 11th hour wildcard, anyone? He totally rocks as I saw him last week at Lexington and now he's in the 3rd round for Washington. :woohoo:

#25 ·
I agree. We've been doing that a lot lately, you and I. :D

Reactions: Dutchie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.