Mens Tennis Forums banner

Steve Johnson

49K views 242 replies 35 participants last post by  alfonsojose 
#1 ·
Might as well create a thread for this guy. NCAA champ. Didn't lose a college match from November onwards.

He's currently in the $15k future tournament in Sacramento. He's into the semis after beating top seed and world #240 Philip Bester. Hasn't lost a set yet.

#107 ·
The Continuing Education of Stevie J

FROM THE SAP OPEN IN SAN JOSE — John Isner can attest to it. So can the Bryan Bros., James Blake, Benjamin Becker, Jesse Levine, or any of the guys who played college ball before making the leap to the pros. There are some big adjustments to be made when stepping up to the ATP Tour, no matter how much on-court success you’ve become accustomed to.

Steve Johnson is well aware of that, too. He took the D1 game to new heights at USC, winning four straight NCAA team titles, and back-to-back singles crowns in his final two seasons as a Trojan. In fact, he may just be the greatest college player of all time. But the 23-year-old knows he’s all but starting from scratch in his new role as that of Professional Tennis Player.

“I think I got a little complacent – in college I could get away with a few more things,” he told TennisReporters.net at the SAP Open, where he reached the first ATP Tour quarterfinal of his young career. “I’ve got to learn that’s probably not going to work out here. You’ve got to go out and take every chance you get and maximize what you can do. I’m working on everything to get better, and I think that’s going to be the case from here on out in my career.”

“These guys, if you leave something hanging, you leave something short, they’re going to put the pressure on you and come in and hit winners,” he continued. “In college, you might get away with something short or put a ball where you don’t want to hit it. These guys will take any little mistake and put it down your throat. It’s tough, but that’s tennis. You learn from it and get better.”

Johnson rode his serve to a career-best showing in San Jose, fighting off a pair of match points to defeat the always-dangerous Croat Ivo Karlovic 6-7(2), 6-4, 7-6(6) in the opening round, and outplaying fellow American Tim Smyczek in the Round of 16 6-3, 6-3. Heading into the quarters, the 6-foot-2, 190-pound Davis Cup practice partner had held his serve 26 straight times on the week. But quarterfinal opponent Tommy Haas, at 34 a veteran performer who has worked his way back to the near outskirts of the top 20, had too much experience. The German-turned-American handed Johnson his first three breaks of the week in scoring a 6-4, 6-2 win.

Though it was their first career head-to-head, the two had met before on the practice court. They had hit together on a few occasions in L.A., and Johnson clearly made an impression on the three-time Slam semifinalist.

“I remember him just being a hard worker, a competitor,” recalled Haas. “You can tell if somebody wants something. This is the attitude you must have. I see so many young kids, even 18, 19, who maybe have more talent or better strokes than Steve, but they don’t have the desire. You can see it in their eyes a mile away. It kills me. Sometimes you tell kids to have the desire, to have the will to work. But maybe it’s too late. Why do you have to tell someone that at 19, 20? Either you have it or you don’t. With Steve, you see that desire. I appreciate that. You see these guys who are doing the college thing and are successful and it takes them a little while to get used to the pros, but they figure out a way. He’s moving up in the rankings. I think he’ll be around for a while.”

“It’s big. It’s definitely big for confidence,” said Johnson of his run in San Jose. “I think it’s proves that I belong and I can go out there and compete with these guys. Making a quarterfinal at an ATP event, at least in my mind, is not a fluke. I hope, for those people who think it is, to prove them wrong.....
http://www.tennisreporters.net/archives/10099

#108 ·
Steve Johnson GOGOGO

#110 ·
Johnson, Williams renew NCAA rivalry in Memphis

http://tenngrand.com/2013/02/18/johnson-williams-renew-ncaa-rivalry-in-memphis/

Former college standouts Steve Johnson and Rhyne Williams are going head-to-head for the first time at an ATP event on Monday in Memphis. Both in-form Americans are making a steady push for direct entry into future Grand Slams and appearances in the Top 100. So, who will snag a big win at this 500-point event?

Ricky: Johnson and Williams will be squaring off for the second time at the professional level when they do battle in round one of the U.S. National Indoor Tennis Championships on Monday. They faced each other last fall at the Charlottesville Challenger (also on an indoor hard court), where Williams prevailed 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. Two of the nation’s best college players in recent seasons, they also collided twice in individual competitions. Williams won 1-6, 6-1, 6-4 for the 2010 indoor title before Johnson got revenge with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 victory to capture the 2011 National Championship.

Both men are off to a good start to their pro careers. Johnson qualified for the Australian Open before losing to Nicolas Almagro in five sets and he beat Ivo Karlovic last week in San Jose. Williams won the USTA’s wild card into Melbourne before falling to Florian Mayer in five. The world No. 159 (as of Sunday) already had a good weekend in Memphis, qualifying for the main draw thanks to defeats of Tim Smyczek and Daniel Munoz-De La Nava. As their past history and Williams’ recent results suggest, the former Tennessee Volunteer loves the fast conditions that an indoor setting provides. Johnson doesn’t mind them, but he likes to have more time to set up with his huge forehand and he wants to get as much kick as possible with his heavy-topspin serve. Williams seems to be playing just a little bit too well right now for Johnson to overcome his slight surface disadvantage......read more

#126 ·
bad loss

He needs more points to get into Top 100

#128 ·
Tennis: Johnson happy to give back

Orange County native, who will be playing for Breakers this summer, enjoys time with students at his alma mater.

ORANGE — Steve Johnson was affectionately known as "Stevie" when he ruled the tennis courts at Orange High for three years.

Johnson returned to his alma mater Monday afternoon quite grown. He's a professional tennis player, one who is ranked No. 128 in the world and an emerging young talent for United States tennis.

After speaking to about 500 Orange High student athletes in the school gymnasium ("The Dome"), Johnson took to the tennis court to serve to members of the Panthers tennis team.

Johnson, 23, said he has served upward of 130 miles per hour. His serves weren't necessarily easy to return Monday. He made it a point to ace his former high school coach, Pete Tavoularis.

"I returned his serve," said Orange junior doubles player Matthew Trinh. "He was holding back, though."

In terms of giving back to his school, where he won CIF Individuals singles titles in 2006 and 2007, Johnson has held nothing back. His parents, Steve and Michelle, remain very involved in the school's athletic programs. A two-time NCAA singles champion at USC, their son has donated uniforms and shoes to Orange High tennis through his endorsement deal with Asics.

And, in a way, Steve Johnson will give back to his home area again this July when he plays his inaugural season of World Team Tennis for the Orange County Breakers.

"As a tennis player, you don't get too many chances to be on a team," said Johnson, who was part of four NCAA team titles at USC. "Usually, it's yourself, so it's great to be part of a team. I loved 'SC, four years went by so quick, and I was pretty thankful. Last year, I was just coming back from injury when the Breakers started, so I didn't even get a chance to really throw my name in that hat.

"When I got the chance, I said, 'I'd love to do it but I'd love to do it for Orange County, where I grew up.' I love being a part of the team thing, and I'm really looking forward to my time in Newport Beach. [Coach] Trevor [Kronemann] is a great guy and I've known him for a long time … It's going to be a fantastic opportunity for me to go back and play team, play [in front of] friends and family and do well for the Breakers."

Johnson plans to play at the French Open and Wimbledon for the first time before returning to Orange County. On Monday, he seemed very gracious, answering questions during the assembly on everything from practicing with Roger Federer to his relationship status (yes, he has a girlfriend).

"He is a true gentleman, and our students need to see that," Orange High Athletic Director Sheryl Glass said. "Our students need to see that hard work can pay off. If you stay determined, you can accomplish your goals. He gave our kids some good words to show them that after you graduate, it's important to give back as well, and be involved in your community as much as you can. It was a great event. The kids were really lucky to have him out here today."

Johnson said he regretted that he wasn't able to attend any Orange High tennis matches this year. But he always comes back to visit when he can. His impact surely has been felt. Tavoularis said before Johnson came on campus, Orange boys' tennis had not made the CIF playoffs since 1981.

With this year's postseason appearance, Tavoularis said the Panthers have qualified eight of the last nine years.

"He's inspired a lot of kids," Tavoularis said. "My best player from two years ago [Stevie Phifer], who's playing No. 1 at Grossmont College, he told me, 'I came there because of Steve Johnson. I knew I was only going to be playing with him for one year, but I knew he was there.' He provided a lot of inspiration for kids to want to play, and want to do well here."

Johnson could do the same this summer for the Breakers at UC Irvine's Bren Events Center. He's part of a talented team, one that also includes Newport Beach resident Coco Vandeweghe, Treat Huey and Maria Elena Camerin. He certainly is accustomed to the team format, racking up seven All-American awards while playing for the Trojans.

He has adjusted well to the ATP Tour as well. At this year's Australian Open, Johnson made it through qualifying before battling world No. 11 Nicolas Almagro for five sets in the first round. In March, Johnson made the quarterfinals at the SAP Open in San Jose before losing to Tommy Haas.

"It's definitely different," Johnson said of adjusting to the ATP Tour. "We've had the last five, six weeks on clay. I never really played on clay that much growing up, and now doing it on the professional level, it's tough. It's a challenge you kind of have to embrace and learn, because a lot of the tour's on clay. It will be a couple more weeks of that, then I get to try out the grass and go to Wimbledon. I'm really looking forward to seeing Paris and London for the first time."

Being back in Orange County after that won't be too bad for Johnson, either. He definitely remembers his roots.

"I've been back [to Orange High] maybe a couple of times, whenever I do get a chance to be home," he said. "It's been pretty special. You get to see these guys and girls wearing the uniforms, and they're very grateful. They sent me a bunch of cards, and I read them all. It was pretty cool that I was able to give back. I played here for three years and I loved every minute of it, so I was definitely hoping to give back one day. I was glad I was able to do so."
http://www.coastlinepilot.com/tn-dpt-0508-steve-johnson-breakers-20130506,0,1095747.story

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.