Mens Tennis Forums banner

Deiton Baughman

6K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  SapELee 
#1 · (Edited)
I think twitter's favorite should get his own thread. He has a good sense of humor.

Deiton Baughman
Height: currently 6-5 (I asked)
Plays: right handed (two handed-backhand)

Current ATP Ranking: 799 (Career High: 794)

I haven't seen Deiton too much but he is a big hitter, similar to Ernesto Escobedo. Like EE, he didn't play much juniors or international ITFs. His best surface is hard court (he is a Californian!) but had a surprising run on clay at the Eddie Herr last year (beating many good juniors including Tiafoe, Miedler, and Zormann before losing to Rublev in 3 sets in the semis). I believe he verbally committed to USC but changed his mind and went pro.

One of my favorite tweets from him

Deiton Baughman @deiton_baughman · Oct 30

Where should I go 4 futures? W.Africa(EbolaLand), Cambodia, Turkey(ISIS/DecapitationVille), or Mexico(Cartel Country). #Decisions

See less See more
#8 ·
5 3-set matches to win the title :worship:

#15 ·
Deiton lost in the 2nd qualifying round to Klizan in 3 sets but I was impressed.

The last match I saw on Saturday was between Detion Baughman and top seed Martin Klizan. The Slovakian is ranked No.34 in the world and would have gotten in directly into the main draw had he signed up before the deadline. Despite losing 6-4 3-6 6-0, the young American showcased himself well against someone ranked almost 400 spots above him. He went toe to toe with Klizan for the first two sets (ran out of gas in the decider). His forehand let him down at various times throughout the match, however, his backhand was solid. He has height, big serve, and power so there is a good foundation to build on. Needs to work on consistency and the forehand.
http://justdroptheball.blogspot.com/2015/08/atp-winston-salem-open-saturday-part-ii.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.