Mens Tennis Forums banner

Jarmere Jenkins

6K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  George Stobbart 
#1 ·
Okay, maybe he should have his own thread.

Jarmere Jenkins
Height: 5'11"
Plays: Right Handed (Double Handed Forehand)
ITF Profile: http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100065936
UVA Profile: http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/jarmere_jenkins_800611.html

Jarmere Jenkins Named ITA National Player of the Year

Cavalier senior ended the season ranked No. 1 in singles and No. 2 in doubles

July 10, 2013

CHARLOTTESVILLE - Virginia senior Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) was named the 2013 Intercollegiate Tennis Association National College Player of the Year, the organization announced Wednesday. Jenkins becomes the second Cavalier to win the award, joining Somdev Devvarman who was honored in 2007 and 2008.

Jenkins, who ended the year ranked No. 1 in the ITA singles rankings, was the 2013 NCAA singles runner-up. He posted a 42-6 singles record during his senior season, including winning the 2012 ITA Indoor Intercollegiate Championship title in the fall. He was named NCAA Tournament MVP as the Cavaliers won their first team championship in May. The 2013 ITA/Farnsworth National Senior Player of the Year, he ended his collegiate career by winning the 2013 NCAA Doubles Championship with Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.).

"It is a tremendous accomplishment to receive this honor," said Jenkins. "The success I had this season is a tribute to all the hard work I have put in during my career. I know I would not have had such a great senior season, both individually and for the team, without the process of this program and all the faith my coaches and teammates had in me during my four years at Virginia."

The ITA College Player of the Year Awards are given to the male and female singles players who have had the most outstanding year in college tennis. Jenkins and Florida's Lauren Embree, the women's ITA National College Player of the Year, will be honored on Saturday, July 13 in Newport, R.I. at a special Awards Luncheon during the Rolex Hall of Fame Enshrinement Weekend.

Previous winners of the ITA College Player of the Year include Tim Mayotte (Stanford, 1981), Mikael Pernfors (Georgia 1985), Bob Bryan (Stanford, 1998) and James Blake (Harvard, 1999), who all went on to reach the top 10 of the ATP rankings after their collegiate careers.
http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/071013aaa.html

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
WAHOOWA! :lol:

In all seriousness, Jarmere is an absolute "gamer" as UVA's coach always puts it. He's super scrappy and easily the fastest, most athletic, most agile player I've ever seen in person (I've never seen Nadal or Monfils or any of the big name athletes like them in person but his physical gifts might surpass them all). Nice forehand, decent backhand, good volleys, serve has a lot of pop for his height. At lot of UVA fans think he can reach the top 100, and even top 50, but to be perfectly honest I disagree. I just think he's a little too small and doesn't have a strong enough mental game to sustain that level consistently enough. He has the game to reach the top 200 without a doubt. But any higher than that would be a complete surprise to me.

Great luck to Jenkins in his pro career!

#4 ·
Good luck to Jarmere

#7 ·
Lost in the final qualifying round.

Some quotes from people at Tennis-Prose who saw his matches.
http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/scoop/qualies-day-two-marcelo-rios-is-in-nyc/#comments

Out on Court 17 for Jenkins v Fabbiano and we’re on serve at 3-4. Jenkins is a strong dude and as black as coal. Big serve at mid 120 s and he’s all business. Fabbiano I’ve never heard of, but he’s one of those small Italian players with his hat on backwards who moves like a dancer and has beautiful strokes.

Jenkins just double faulted a break, but I like his strokes a lot. His forehand is cool. He kind of cocks it over his head on the backswing and hits a lot of spin. But he just made 3 unforced errors and Fabbio has a set point on his serve which he converts and yells, “Come on!” Why would an Italian yell “Come on?”
Jenkins is 2 points away from losing in strait sets, 1 point now. He makes too many errors and in my eyes, doesn’t use his quickness enough and approach the net. As I write this he hits a huge approach and tentatively pushes the easy volley for a winner. He’s tough and composed. He’s fought off 3 match points, but he can’t deal with the Itian from the baseline and his backhand return is weak. On his side, or maybe not, he doesn’t have DY’s attitude and fortunately, he looks like a hard worker.
Yes I saw Jenkins play the first match, he looks like a boxer out there, great athlete, super fit, strong looking. Good crowd watching him too, he beat a proven player too. Also saw Loeb on court 4 she looks excellent too, great form, strong, quick, very impressed how she handled Royg in two sets. She is from Ossining NY. These were two impressive players who caught your eye.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/galleries/2013-08-23/201308231377279774795.html

#8 ·
Question and Answer: Jarmere Jenkins http://tennisnerds.com/2013/09/09/qa-jarmere-jenkins/

Jarmere Jenkins is one of the rising stars of American tennis. He is young, athletic, and talented enough to certainly make a big impact on the ATP tour in the future. Jarmere recently graduated from the University of Virginia and started his pro career this summer. He made the finals of a futures event in Florida and then won my home town futures in Rochester. Most recently, he played in the US Open, participating in Men’s qualies, men’s doubles, and mixed doubles. Myself and Joey came up with some questions for Jarmere about his college experience, US Open experience, and future as a pro player. Here is our first Q&A with Jarmere Jenkins.

Q: So it’s you’re first year as a full-time professional. What are the biggest adjustments and challenges you’ve faced?

A: Just being able to maintain consistency. In my diet, mentality, fitness. There’s little time to slack off… Someone else is always working and waiting for an opportunity. The challenges are pretty similar. Tennis is a pretty individualized sport and you constantly battle yourself within. Push yourself to new limits all the time.

Q: You were obviously extremely successful at Virginia. What do you think you’re biggest achievement in college was and why?

A: My biggest achievement in college was my progress and maturity as a person throughout my four years there. It’s hard to put in words how much I grew but it’s something that I look back on now and say “wow, i’ve come a very long way”. All of my accolades on the court fall just short of me growing up in Charlottesville.

Q: When you’re playing college matches you have 8+ other guys there cheering you on. How hard has it been to start playing solely for yourself?

A: As I stated earlier, tennis is an individualized sport regardless. Your accountability never leaves you for one second, even in college. You just have people that share this with you in college. On one hand yes I am solely playing for myself…on the other I am always representing UVA, family, and friends.

Q: How was you’re experience at the US Open? Anything stand out?

A: It was definitely a learning experience. Before this US Open, I was 0-6 in singles there. So it definitely felt pretty good to get some wins, build some confidence, and just sorta make myself known.

Q: There has been much talk about the state of American Men’s tennis. What are your thoughts?

A: American tennis is growing a lot faster than people think. People are too concerned with results and statistics that they miss out on the more important things. US players definitely deserve more support, especially in the media. It’s not easy what we are trying to accomplish but we are all committed and will be on top sooner than later.

Q: What specific parts of your game are you working to improve? What do you think your biggest strength is on the tennis court?

A: Fitness is a key issue for me now. My biggest strength is my speed. Whether its using my speed to create offense or getting out of defensive positions.

Q:You won your first Futures title just a couple months ago and also reached the final of another. How has that success affected your game, confidence wise?

A: Futures are the lowest level pro events there are. Of course I feel good about winning them but progress is what I am most concerned about now. It gives me confidence that I am on the right track.

Q: Random one here. Of all the events you’ve traveled to this year, which was your favorite and why?

Citi Open in D.C is at the top of my list. With UVA being so close the fan support is just hard to beat. Feels like a home match.

As a follower and close acquaintance of Jarmere, I can say he has come a long way from his first year at Virginia, to the start of his pro career now. A couple years ago when he played in the Futures in Rochester, I saw all the talent and athleticism in his game. And now 3 years later, I discovered a new Jarmere. A more mature player, but more importantly, a good man. He is a class act on and off the court and that is something everyone should take notice of. I would like to thank Jarmere for answering our questions and wish him luck on the tour in the future. I am sure that we will be writing about him again very soon.

#26 ·
Really, that was quick, looked like he had good potential.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.