Mens Tennis Forums banner

Istanbul to host ATP World Tour 250 tournament from 2015

3K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  CooCooCachoo 
#1 ·
See less See more
#27 ·
I think this is good news, the middle east region needs more tournaments and the ATP is clearly expanding there (new events in Tel Aviv and Istanbul, along with Dubai and Doha) and Turkey has a lot of support for futures and challenger level so they are ready to move up.

#11 ·
I wonder if the WTA calendar will move Istanbul here and become a combined event as they only have 1 event that week.

#14 ·
It´s nice to see Istanbul getting a tournament, but that is a really bad place in the calendar. It will be difficult to get any top names there. Belgrad struggled for a few years in a similar spot and gave up, and they had Nole playing. Hopefully it will work out, though.

#18 ·
Munich and the Portugal Open have been around since 1990 in the ATP circuit and they have a very loyal field (Munich with Germans, Italians, Central European players; Estoril with the Portuguese/Spanish speaking players).

This is why Belgrade struggled in getting very interesting fields, even though they are a top country in tennis and immediately had three good players to be there almost every year. Who is Istanbul going to attract? Asian players? They would rather play in the Asian challengers on hardcourt rather on clay. Americans? Too far. French players? Unlikely, with Portugal and Germany much more nearby...

They gotta invest in recruiting a top 10 player, but it is still going to be hard. WTA has some tournaments around this area of the globe and they struggle to get good fields there.

#20 ·
Kebabray will rise

#21 ·
Andre♥;23815722 said:
Munich and the Portugal Open have been around since 1990 in the ATP circuit and they have a very loyal field (Munich with Germans, Italians, Central European players; Estoril with the Portuguese/Spanish speaking players).

This is why Belgrade struggled in getting very interesting fields, even though they are a top country in tennis and immediately had three good players to be there almost every year. Who is Istanbul going to attract? Asian players? They would rather play in the Asian challengers on hardcourt rather on clay. Americans? Too far. French players? Unlikely, with Portugal and Germany much more nearby...

They gotta invest in recruiting a top 10 player, but it is still going to be hard. WTA has some tournaments around this area of the globe and they struggle to get good fields there.
You don´t get the whole point, such big city like Istanbul having finally tournament and turkey already tennis hungry with WTA YEC there - last what 3 years i think, they will have cash and appereance fees so they will attract some players i wouldn´t be worried about them

#22 ·
WTA YEC seemed to be very well-received there.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some guys here consider Turkey as an Asian or Middle eastern country. We are neighbour of Greece and Bulgaria, and also this event will take place in European part of the city. Expect many not elite but good top 20 players from Europe with good prize money. Transportation wont be a problem.

#25 ·
Yes, Istanbul is muuuuch more close to Europe (hell, it's in Europe) than Asia. It would take just 2-3 hours (plane) to land in Istanbul from anywhere of Europe. That's nothing.

And Garanti is a huge bank in Turkey. (should be the 1st if i am not wrong) So i think they can get sponsorships etc. There will be not problem. Also since we don't have any big player, crowd will be interested with anyone. In Belgrade, Serbian people were crazy for Nole but on other matches crowd and atmosphere was deadly. Istanbul won't be like that. (see WTA 2011, 2012, 2013, best season ending tournament on WTA side for a decade)

We are one of the worst possible week on the calender but still should get few top 10 player. Actually, it would be dream to watch Rafa on clay for me but it looks impossible, sadly. :( Hopefully they will donate him 1-2 million dollar, so we can see him. :p

WTA side will be played on September in 2015. In July, the weather is so hot here, also Ramadan is in summer for at least 5-10 years, so crowd is not going to get interested for it in July, it's great decision to play it in September.

I CAN'T ALREADY WAIT. FINALLY ATP!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.