Mens Tennis Forums banner

Adrian Ungur

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Nightcrawl3r 
#1 ·
Didn't see a thread for him :eek:

Barletta Challenger R1 vs. (WC) Volandri :bounce:
GL Adrian! :cool::bounce:

#2 ·
Does anyone know if he is related to Romanian WTA player Liana Ungur? Or is it just a common name in Romania like Bogdan?

#4 ·
Not a lot of talk here about Adrian, but he has finally cracked the top 100 after being on the challenger tour for so long! He finished with a 47-31 overall record in 2011, with 2 challenger titles, a final and three semifinals. He finished #114 at the end of 2011 and to start this season he has made three challenger finals----in Bucaramanga, Meknes and Marrakech, losing all three. That's unfortunate but what's fortunate is that he's up to a career-high provisional ranking of #98 and will likely participate in his first ever main-draw direct entry event at the French Open!

It's been a long time coming, it's good to see Adi finally reaching some of his potential as a player at the age of 27. His next scheduled event is Barletta next week. Hopefully Adi can continue his positive form this season and continue his progression in the rankings!

#5 ·
Adrian withdrew from Barletta, so his next scheduled event will be Houston, the week after the one upcoming. It's a relatively weak draw, so the opportunity will be there for Adrian to make a good run at an ATP event. Hopefully he can take advantage and have a breakout event on a big stage!

#14 ·
San Marino Go&Fun Open (ATP Challenger) : Adrian Ungur routed Antonio Veic in the San Marino final, triumphing 6-1, 6-0 in a mere 50 minutes. The 29-year-old Romanian claimed his eighth title on the circuit and first in 14 months, since winning on home soil in Arad. Ungur moves to No. 13 on the all-time match wins list with his 240th victory. :D :cheerleader:

"I'm obviously very happy. After the first two matches I was able to find my game and get to the final in both singles and doubles. After I lost the doubles final I found redemption (in singles). Winning here, in San Marino, in front of so many fans is beautiful. I felt at home."

"It 's my best result of the season because so far in 2014 I had only reached a semi-final and I hope it can be a turning point, to go further in the rankings. I went in, just improving, until the final match and in the final match also and I think I played my best tennis, helped a bit by my tired opponent. I dedicate this success to my wife Liana and coach Fabrizio Fanucci, it was a beautiful week, in a tournament with a high quality of services and the organization has nothing to envy the ATP Tour one. "

#16 ·
That happened in 2012 also .

But the sad part is that it's the 1st time since Wimbledon 1995 when we (Romania) don't have a male contender in a Grand Slam Singles MD ! Over 19 years !

While Hanescu might get back in Top 100 by the end of November, a year from now IDK what will happen :help: or in 2015.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.