Mens Tennis Forums banner

World Group quarterfinal: Croatia at Argentina (April 6-8, 2012)

6K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  smucav 
#1 · (Edited)
http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100017688
World Group quarterfinal
Date: 06 Apr-08 Apr 2012
Venue: Parque Roca, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Start times:
Day 1: 1030 hrs (1330 hrs GMT)
Day 2: 1200 hrs (1500 hrs GMT)
Day 3: 1030 hrs (1330 hrs GMT)
Surface: Clay (Red Clay), Outdoor
Ball: Head ATP

Argentina leads Croatia 2-0

Last meeting:
2006 World Group Quarterfinal
Argentina d. Croatia 3-2 (in Croatia)

#2 ·
it will be played at Parque Roca, Clay Outdoor. It should be really slow bounce.

#4 ·
how many times has Argentina played in Parque Roca for Davis Cup now?

#7 ·
Argentina should beat Croatia without Del Potro (only need to beat Karlovic once over the 3 days), but it would be a nice signal of intent if they could count on him for this tie.

He'd also get an early warm-up for the European clay court season, and would have a week to make the trip to Monte Carlo and get adjusted to the conditions over there.

The scheduling shouldn't be a problem for him, as it wouldn't be for the SF either (coming from New York, with a week off before the commencement of the Asian swing).

Mar Del Plata was the most significant home tie for you, unfortunately. And, if you reach the final again this year, and it is another home tie, presumably you cannot rely on Parque Roca in November.

#17 ·
The ITF has announced the official team nominations for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group quarterfinal and zone group ties taking place on 6-8 April. Follow all the action on the official Davis Cup by BNP Paribas websites: www.daviscup.com and www.copadavis.com.

ARGENTINA v CROATIA
Venue: Parque Roca, Buenos Aires, ARG (clay – outdoor)

Argentina
Juan Martin del Potro
Juan Monaco
David Nalbandian
Eduardo Schwank
Captain: Martin Jaite

Croatia
Marin Cilic
Ivo Karlovic
Antonio Veic
Lovro Zovko
Captain: Zeljko Krajan

#19 ·
Argentina should get the job done. Realistically, they can win ANY of the five rubbers, and Croatia isn't really guaranteed anything.

Having Del Potro on the team should practically put Argentina 2-0 up, and it is interesting that he beat Karlovic and Cilic in successive matches only last week! Having DelPo back on the team is a big bonus for Argentina, and his loss to Ferrer in R4 of Miami isn't a bad thing - he has 10 days to prepare for this tie.

Monaco and Nalbandian have also showed encouraging form over the last month.

Monaco should be looking to grind out singles victories as well (although he can't afford lapses against Karlovic, in particular).

Nalbandian is likely to be rested on Friday, which should strengthen his partnership with Schwank. They would have a very good chance to win the doubles - Veic and Zovko aren't a fearsome combination. Failing that, Croatia might be relying on a potentially fatigued Karlovic, and/or Cilic's dodgy doubles skills.

#22 ·
I still don't know if the 2nd singles will be Monaco or Nalbandian. I thought it was going to be David, but with Monaco's SF at Miami it will be hard to decide. I think it will depends on David.

#25 ·
It's not because Mister Nalbandianwant to win davis cup that he had to be sure to play. it's not fair. He is not playing very good since the beginning of the year and i think guy like Monaco, who juste made semi final in Monaco, must play singles with Del Potro. He deserved it. And for doubles, i would hav picked Chela and Schwank.
For Croatia, Karlovic is not good on clay but he is a good choice. Cilic a just came back from injury since few weeks and i'm not sure if he can play two times 5 setters on clay now. Dodig or Ljubicic seems to be better choices but the first one is injured (?) and the second will qtop his career in few days. I think Karlovic must play doubles too

#26 ·
Ljubicic quit national team few years ago anyway, and Dodig is unfortunately injured (and out of form as well). Therefore, for me the most logical is Cilic and Karlovic each in 2 singles and Karlovic/Zovko in doubles. However, i'm afraid Krajan won't use Zovko although he is Croatian's best doubles player and mostly only plays in that cathegory.

Realistically, Argentina away is one of the toughest possible challenges. It would be a big suprise to win there.

#27 ·
I'm a bit concerned about Nalbandian playing on the first day. It is hardly necessary. Monaco is in excellent form, and his chances of winning that opening singles are at least as good as David's. A long match wouldn't be a problem either, as Monaco wouldn't be used for the doubles.

Argentina need to careful that they don't get complacent. The worst scenario is that Nalbandian plays a long match on Friday and loses (or gets injured). Is it worth the risk?

#30 ·
I wouldn't hold anything against Marin this time. For me Karlovic played below his level both on serve and on net, and Marin played better as match progressed.

Really big shame we didn't win this match, with 2-1 we'd have some chance in final day.
Despite that, great fight guys. :)

#31 ·
ARGENTINA defeated CROATIA 4-1
Venue: Parque Roca, Buenos Aires, ARG (clay – outdoor)

Marin Cilic (CRO) d. David Nalbandian (ARG) 57 64 46 76(2) 63
Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) d. Ivo Karlovic (CRO) 62 76(7) 61
David Nalbandian/Eduardo Schwank (ARG) d. Marin Cilic/Ivo Karlovic (CRO) 36 76(6) 63 67(6) 86
Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) d. Marin Cilic (CRO) 61 62 61
Juan Monaco (ARG) d. Antonio Veic (CRO) 61 61

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.