Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rainer Schuettler

186K views 3K replies 126 participants last post by  alfonsojose 
#1 ·
My boy needs one :D

Keep going in Cincinnati :bounce: Great fight to beat Nieminen in a third-set TB today :) :) :)

#152 ·
Re: The Rainer Schuettler Cheering Thread

He's still playing doubles at IW. He was signing autographs.

good luck for him :wavey:

Attachments

#154 ·
Let's hope the injury he picked up yesterday in the doubles is not too troublesome. Next hope: that he makes it past the second round in Miami so there will be a chance to actually see him in action again on German tv!! The sports channel here is only showing the second week, and if he's not around then, there will be more :banghead: from me!

#158 ·

:banghead:
Ow, my head is really starting to hurt now!
But hopefully this may be a little turnaround, sounds like it was really close. And when was the last time Rainer had a matchpoint?

Right, think positive! :D

#159 ·

What happened with Kiefer? Did they have an argument?

#160 ·

alfonsojose54 said:
What happened with Kiefer? Did they have an argument?
Don't think so, Alfonso. But you wouldn't know with Kiefer, he's a bit of a strange one! He seems to like to indulge in a few mindgames during matches, which may not have gone down well.

#161 ·

Rainer will play singles and doubles (with Kiefer) in DavisCup for Germany against Israel from April 9-11. Let´s hope he wins his matches and gets some confidence again!! I´m going to Alsdorf on Friday and I´m happy I will see Rainer play :)
I found this article on Rainer on www.daviscup.com:

09 Mar 2004 - David Law

Schuettler Looks Forward to German Resurgence
While suffering the ignominy of Germany’s relegation from the Davis Cup World Group in 2003, Rainer Schuettler was otherwise enjoying the best year of his career.

In 2004, whatever happens to his individual season, he is desperate to put his nation back in the World Group where he feels they belong.

“I am very motivated,” said Schuettler, who ranks Germany’s loss to Belarus last September as one of the biggest disappointments of his career.

“Last year, for us to lose in Davis Cup, to go down, it was a nightmare. We wanted to stay in the World Group and we are going to try everything to play good this year and get back to the World Group again. It’s tough to do because there are so many good teams, but if we have the chance to play with our whole team we definitely have a good chance.”

Germany’s quest to do just that will begin on the 9th of April when they face Israel at home. If they win, then they will face a Play-off tie in September for the right to re-enter the World Group.

Schuettler concedes that Germany’s hopes depend largely on the fitness and application of his compatriots Tommy Haas and Nicolas Kiefer.

Haas had been out for over a year with a shoulder injury, while both he and Kiefer had, at one time or another, not played for various reasons.

Schuettler now believes that those issues are a thing of the past and all the German team needs is a bit of luck to enable them to stay injury-free.

“There is definitely the team spirit there,” said Schuettler. “I have a good relationship with Tommy and Nicolas. With Nicolas I played juniors together, with Tommy I met him a couple of years later but we are good friends. I think the team spirit is there but the whole team has to play together for not just one or two matches, but for three or four years, and then I think it’s just a matter of time before we’re successful.

“In the past it was often the case that somebody was injured and couldn’t play, somebody didn’t want to play for whatever reason, but if we have a chance for our whole team to play I think we have a strong team and can go very far. When I was young I followed the Davis Cup. It was one of the biggest things on TV. To be successful in Davis Cup is one of my goals this year and the first step is to beat Israel and then have a chance to get into the World Group again.

Haas made his comeback last month and Kiefer has reached finals in Memphis in February and in Scottsdale last week, so the omens are good.

For many people, the meteoric rise of Schuettler last year came as a surprise.

Haas and Kiefer had received most of the German headlines in the post-Boris Becker and Michael Stich era, but it was Schuettler who reached a Grand Slam final first – the 2003 Australian Open.

He may have lost in the final to Andre Agassi, but with some of the most consistent play anywhere on the ATP circuit, he reached No.6 in the world and qualified for the Tennis Masters Cup.

“There was a very good reaction in Germany after Australia last year,” said Schuettler. “There were so many people watching me on TV and supporting me – in my home town they were putting big screens up when my matches were on. It was surprising but fun to see so many people supporting me. During the year after I had so many good results, people in Germany recognised me and were happy that another German player was coming up.”

Now he faces the task that so many athletes find difficult – to follow a breakthrough year with another equally good one. Schuettler remains undaunted.

“I had a great year last year and it will be really difficult for me to do the same again, but I think actually my tennis is better than it was before,” he said. “I’ve practiced hard in the past few months and I don’t see why I shouldn’t have the same level of success as last year.”

And that can only be a good thing for his country’s Davis Cup team as well.

#162 ·

GO RAINER !! :worship:

#163 ·

Rainer won his DC match against Okun 62 62 61 :bounce: I must say Okun made it easy for Rainer because he made tons of errors. In the post-match interview Rainer said he didn´t play bad lately but he failed to win close matches. He said he needs just a few wins to get his confidence back. So let´s hope he started today!

#164 ·

amethyst said:
Rainer won his DC match against Okun 62 62 61 :bounce: I must say Okun made it easy for Rainer because he made tons of errors. In the post-match interview Rainer said he didn´t play bad lately but he failed to win close matches. He said he needs just a few wins to get his confidence back. So let´s hope he started today!
And I hope he gets his confidence back in this DC tie!

:bounce: Rainer :bounce:

#167 ·

wow thanks for guiding us to these pics... I didn't notice yet that there are so many pics on this site... I thought this page is crap because they only update the score after each finished set and not game by game.

No, surely not professional (too blurred), but at least they have a good resolution. At first I thought these are only small thumbnails until I discovered that I can click on each pic to enlarge it :lol: ;)

#168 ·

Neely said:
wow thanks for guiding us to these pics... I didn't notice yet that there are so many pics on this site... I thought this page is crap because they only update the score after each finished set and not game by game.

No, surely not professional (too blurred), but at least they have a good resolution. At first I thought these are only small thumbnails until I discovered that I can click on each pic to enlarge it :lol: ;)
Those pix definitely show how great is Rainer's behind. :lol:

#169 · (Edited)

I'm going to stop posting stuff about Rainer's butt. :sad: I'm the unlucky one :crying2:

He's down 6/7(4)-7/6(4)-0/2 right now :mad:

#171 ·

alfonsojose54 said:
I'm going to stop posting stuff about Rainer's butt. :sad: I'm the unlucky one :crying2:

He's down 6/7(4)-7/6(4)-0/2 right now :mad:
I stop for a long time already. I don't even dare to check live score. :eek: Like today, I could not stand the suspense and looked at live score. It was 1st set TB, it started at 3-3 and the screen refreshed, 3-5, 3-6 and 4-7. :mad: :mad:

#172 ·

Another first-round loss :banghead: :banghead: (I'm doing serious damage to my noggin here!)
Dammit, and he is playing good, that is the really annoying thing. I saw one of his Davis Cup matches last week and his serve was great, much faster than last year.
But it's tough to have to switch surfaces without much preparation. On the tourny website he said he only got an hour's practice on clay before the match. Maybe it would have been a better idea to take the week off. But at least he gets a couple of points for making an appearance :rolleyes:

C'mon dude, you need the luck to be on your side now!

#175 ·

You got that right, Neely! But you never know, maybe he needs to face somebody good to get the results. Nearly every other time he's lost to a qualifier or sombody much lower ranked.
Today is my birthday and my wish is that he will win! :D

#176 ·

wow nice... congrats for your birthday then! :)

I hope Rainer does his part then to fulfill your wish ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.