Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rainer Schuettler

186K views 3K replies 126 participants last post by  alfonsojose 
#1 ·
My boy needs one :D

Keep going in Cincinnati :bounce: Great fight to beat Nieminen in a third-set TB today :) :) :)

#227 ·
Re: The Rainer Schuettler Cheering Thread

Another disappointing tournament. Another tough loss of 5-7 in 3rd set. Where's his confident? And I hate the pattern of losing 1st set 1-6 or 2-6. He needs better preparation for a match and Dirk needs to do something about that.

#229 ·

whoa that pic with tommy haas
yummmy :D:D
shame bout the loss today :(

#230 ·

Lee said:
Another disappointing tournament. Another tough loss of 5-7 in 3rd set. Where's his confident? And I hate the pattern of losing 1st set 1-6 or 2-6. He needs better preparation for a match and Dirk needs to do something about that.

Lee, being honest, I don't think he was really in the match yesterday. From what I saw of it (the final set was on tv last night), he wasn't happy, but at the same time was not able to gee himself up to raise his game. Maybe he's just tired

Reactions: amethyst
#231 ·

He may hurt or tire but his service games spell BIG TROUBLE so far this year. So, it's not one game or one tournament. I'm not sure what he and Dirk tried to do. They may want to improve his serve. But for me, it's a problem and needs fixing.

#232 ·

I agree with you to an extent. But that said, his first serve has improved no end compared to last year, it's exceeding 200kmh now (I think that is about 130mph). The problem is that he isn't getting enough first serves in, and his second serve then seems to cause the greater problems.

#233 ·

That's what I guess, they tried to spice up his first serve which as seen in many cases, screw up his service game. May be we need to be more patient and wait for the improvement of his NEW first serve. :shrug:

#234 ·

Has anyone watched the interview from the official site? Rainer still looked gorgeous after such terrible match. And there were so many stupid and idiotic questions that I'm impressed Rainer keeping his calm. :rolleyes:

#235 ·
#236 ·

Lee said:
Has anyone watched the interview from the official site? Rainer still looked gorgeous after such terrible match. And there were so many stupid and idiotic questions that I'm impressed Rainer keeping his calm. :rolleyes:
Maybe he should get a little bit angry (on himself) instead of being so calm :rolleyes: In the match he could have used some anger and energy instead of calmness. So at least he could have tried something (no matter what) instead of being passive most of the time.

#237 ·

amethyst said:
Maybe he should get a little bit angry (on himself) instead of being so calm :rolleyes: In the match he could have used some anger and energy instead of calmness. So at least he could have tried something (no matter what) instead of being passive most of the time.
He didn't yell at himself :eek: He was pretty emotional when he was playing badly. Could it because his opponent was Lars?

#238 ·

He was swearing sometimes, but most of the time he seemed flat and passive to me. And if he was angry, it did´nt convert into fighting spirit. I´m sure he was uncomfortable playing Lars, but I don´t know if that was the reason he wasn´t more agressive (agressive in his game, not in his behaviour). BTW most uncomfortable was Dirk, who is coach of them both. He looked liked he had to force himself not to leave.

#239 ·

amethyst said:
BTW most uncomfortable was Dirk, who is coach of them both. He looked liked he had to force himself not to leave.
That's so true and look at this

Dirk Hordorff found himself in an uncomfortable position today
First, a temperature of 10° C (50° F) was no-one's idea of comfort...
Then, he had the added problem of being the coach of both players
in the match between Rainer Schuttler and Lars Burgsmueller
So he had to be careful not to show enthusiasm for either player's winners
- a task made much easier by the weather conditions

#241 ·

Thanks for this picture, Lee! He was such a pitiful sight!
I have no idea how he finds time to coach both now, but I guess a few years ago Rainer might not have been able to afford a full-time coach. We have to keep in mind Rainer was not very successful for many years.

#242 ·

Lee said:
I really can't understand how Dirk can be coach to both. Especially he is not just coaching Rainer but also like personal manager for him. How can he find time to coach Lars too?

Dirk seems to be a very busy guy - he also manages (but not coaches) Mikhail Youzhny, according to what I heard on tv.

Reactions: amethyst
#243 ·

This is a very nice picture showing Schuettler's smiles... i like it when he smiles...

i just want to share with all Rainer's fans...sorry if this has been posted before...

#247 · (Edited)

Today (Wednesday) Rainer got an award from the ATP for his great season in 2003, I would say a kind of MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AWARD we know from the NBA or other leagues.

This fact is really astonishing: Rainer improved his year-end ranking for nine consecutive years!!! no other player could do that! :worship: :yeah:

ATP ehrt Schüttler für stetige Verbesserung

Düsseldorf (dpa) - Rainer Schüttler ist am Rande des World Team Cups für sein herausragendes Tennis-Jahr 2003 geehrt worden. Die Herren-Profi-Vereininung ATP zeichnete den 28 Jahre alten Korbacher in Düsseldorf als den am meisten verbesserten Spieler der Vorsaison aus. Den Preis, eine Kristall-Trophäe, überreichte ATP-Europa-Chef Horst Klosterkemper.

Schüttler belegte bei der Abstimmung unter seinen Spielerkollegen klar Platz eins. «Deshalb ist es eine besondere Auszeichnung, auf die ich stolz bin», sagte er. Mit der deutschen Mannschaft will der Hesse durch einen Sieg über Titelverteidiger Chile erstmals seit 1998 das Endspiel des World Team Cups erreichen. «Für die Mannschaft wäre es sehr wichtig. Deutschland ist schon lange reif für den Titel, ich hoffe, wir holen ihn jetzt», betonte die deutsche Nummer eins.

Schüttler hatte im vergangenen Jahr bei den Australian Open erstmals ein Grand-Slam-Finale erreicht und stand beim abschließenden Masters Cup der acht besten Profis im Halbfinale. Als einzigem Spieler gelang ihm bei allen vier Grand-Slam-Wettbewerben zumindest der Einzug in das Achtelfinale, bei den Turnieren in Tokio und Lyon holte sich Schüttler die Titel. Das Champions Race beendete er als Sechster und verbesserte sich damit zum neunten Mal nacheinander in der Rangliste. Dies hat kein anderer aktiver Spieler geschafft.

http://de.sports.yahoo.com/040519/27/ptl.html
Schüttler said it's a special honor and it means a lot for him that not journalists or ATP officials gave him this award, but the players from the ATP tour! :)
yes, Rainer! :yeah:

#248 ·

Thanks for the article, Neely! Well-deserved honour for Rainer :)

Rainer lost his match today against Massu :sad: He fought a lot to hang in there but Massu was better. But overall he played well in World Team Cup. Now good luck in Paris, Rainer :)

#250 ·

RG, 1st round: : Shuettler vs. Malisse

Rainer SCHUETTLER (GER) leads 3 : 1

2001 Atlanta Clay (O) 16 Xavier MALISSE 1-6 1-6
2002 Cincinnati Hard (O) 16 Rainer SCHUETTLER 6-4 6-3
2002 Indianapolis Hard (O) 16 Rainer SCHUETTLER 6-3 6-2
2003 Lyon Carpet (I) QF Rainer SCHUETTLER 7-6(2) 6-4

Go Rainer !!

#251 ·

stupid coincidence, isn't it, that Rainer won 3 out of 4 meeting, but made only 2 games in their only meeting on clay so far :mad:
:tape: :tape: :tape:

but at least Rainer improved a lot since 2001 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.