Mens Tennis Forums banner

Dinara Part 2

151K views 999 replies 75 participants last post by  michellej 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#254 ·
Re: Dinara Part 2: NUMBER ONE!!!!!!!

From old interviews of her, and some more recent one of Krajan :)inlove:), it seems she's quite harsh on herself. And they've been working together for a while already and his methods did lead her to her greatest results ever. So they both probably know what they're doing. Can't always work though.

#259 · (Edited)

I agree most people are like wtf Dina's coach is one harsh taskmaster :eek: but she is benefiting from it :shrug: I know she won't fire him, that's almost a given.

Found the best way to describe their relationship floating around a tennis blog- "ah...tempestuous" :p

#260 ·

I agree most people are like wtf Dina's coach is one harsh taskmaster :eek: but she is benefiting from it :shrug: I know she won't fire him, that's almost a given.
Never. :lol:

But I know when I was a competitive athlete, the thing I hated the most was coaches who tried to sugarcoat things. I always wanted honesty. Don't tell me "everything's fine" if it's not, it's not like I'm not right there, experiencing how terrible it is. :mad: I did much better with the Zeljko "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??" approach than I did with a "oh, it's okay, you just need to change one, maybe two small things, and everything will be okay!" kind of deal. So if that's how she is, that's how she is, certainly she knows what works for her. :shrug: :)

#262 ·

If she understands that his harshness and frustration comes from the fact that he knows full well that she can do it, that he hasn't a doubt in his mind of her value and hence gets so pissed when she doesn't win, then this method is ok. And she's said many times he gave her confidence and made her believe in herself so I guess for her it works :)

#271 ·

that first pic is really cool!! :yeah:
yep :D

:cuckoo: Yeah, because we all know being a writer is that easy.

She also claims to be a 'fashion designer'.
All celebs are effin' designers these days! I bet they don't know how to sew or even draw a silhouette on a piece of paper. Someone probably does it all for them and they just come in for like an hour or two (hey, if you're also a top athlete, an actress, a writer and attending lots of red carpets you don't have much time to spare!) and they just say yes or no or 'could you do that in blue?'. :rolleyes:
Seriously it's a disgrace for REAL designers, people that spend hours and hours studying fabrics and cuts and putting their ideas on paper and then actually execute them.
well said :worship: (the 'could you do that in blue' part made me laugh :lol: but I'm sure it happens this way indeed)

Dinara beat her sister venus (for the first time!) in one epic, classic clay court match! Best match in a loooooong time! Second consecutive final featuring Dina and Kuzzy! Revenge please :angel:
:yeah:

#266 ·

Why I can't stand Serena Williams (no new news here, just aggravated me):

By Paul Virgo

ROME (Reuters) - Serena Williams still rates herself as the best player in the world even though she has been toppled from the top spot by Russia's Dinara Safina.

"We all know who the real number one is," Williams told a news conference at the Italian Open on Monday. "Quite frankly, I'm the best in the world." :ras:

Second ranked Williams, who will face Swiss Patty Schnyder in her opening match in Rome, felt she could back up her claim because she owns 10 grand slam singles titles while Safina's tally stands at zero.

Asked which opponent she feared most, the American quipped: "Probably myself. I always beat myself." :rolleyes:

Safina, the younger sister of former men's number one Marat Safin, said time would tell if her rival was right.

"She can say this because she won many more grand slams than me," said the 23-year-old.

"But she's also older than me so she has more experience. So let's see when I'm her age how many titles I have and then we can say," added Safina, who has contested 10 finals over the past 12 months, winning four titles.

"It's not luck. Nobody gave it to me. I played two grand slam finals and last year I won four titles. This didn't come out of sky." :yeah:

The 27-year-old Williams, who has already dabbled in fashion designing and acting, said she was thinking about expanding her off-court interests.

"I've been writing, but I haven't been writing. In my mind I've been saying I want to write, but I haven't actually physically picked up a pencil and started writing," the U.S. Open and Australian Open champion said.

"So that is my next challenge, to actually to sit down and do it. No (not my life story). A screenplay. Nothing is impossible."

It's one thing for Serena to think these things, but, to say them out loud at press conferences or during interviews completely discredits Dinara and also discredits the WTA, quite frankly. Play more matches Serena, and you will keep your ranking... pick and choose your matches so that you get ample rest, and your ranking drops. Shut up and play.

#269 ·

Dinara beat her sister venus (for the first time!) in one epic, classic clay court match! Best match in a loooooong time! Second consecutive final featuring Dina and Kuzzy! Revenge please :angel:

#272 ·

First Serena and her big mounth, now Venus :worship:...fantastic!!! The next is Kuz!!! Dinara's vendetta is almost done :devil:

#274 ·

Congrats to Dinara !
But I have to say that the on-court coaching is really annoying. Today her coach was there so much that I thought it was a fed cup match...
It's not the on court coaching that is annoying - it's Dina's coach only :p

It might be effective for Dinara - I really hope it is! - but I for one find him too aggressive and I feel I see more of him on the court than I'd like to: tennis is also about players' own intelligence and ability to take the right decisions during play, so I really do not like him intervening so much!

Anyway, very very good match today - the best match I've seen of Dinara, actually.

#276 · (Edited)

The on court coaching was only highlighted cos Venus doesn't use it at all and because Dina actually listens to her coach (unlike Vika who just gave the match away based on one bad line call and her coach told her to forget it otherwise it was gonna destroy the match- and it did).Venus doesn't question calls which is good for Dina fans but bad for her cos she's so :shrug: She should've had her dad on for her break conversion which was very bad;)Dina got to the FO final with no coaching and to the AO final. I think Z should give Dina notes on what to do if a problem arises. Just imagine Dina on Philippe Chatrier opening a brown envelope. "If your serve is shite go to bullet point 4 " etc :p

Oh and it's one thing to get given advice but it's another to take it on board and execute it successfully :angel:

#278 ·

The on court coaching was only highlighted cos Venus doesn't use it at all and because Dina actually listens to her coach (unlike Vika who just gave the match away based on one bad line call and her coach told her to forget it otherwise it was gonna destroy the match- and it did).Venus doesn't question calls which is good for Dina fans but bad for her cos she's so :shrug: She should've had her dad on for her break conversion which was very bad;)Dina got to the FO final with no coaching and to the AO final. I think Z should give Dina notes on what to do if a problem arises. Just imagine Dina on Philippe Chatrier opening a brown envelope. "If your serve is shite go to bullet point 4 " etc :p
So you think that Vika lost the match because she did not listen to her coach? :) I bet she figured out for herself that she does not have to let that bad call influence her, but we all know it's always easier said than done...

As for K, he was equally annoying in the final towards Sveta - which Dina eventually lost anyway :p. OK, I don't mind him intervening ONCE IN A WHILE, if he really thinks he can help and he has the right to do it, but I totally dislike his way of giving advice - as I said, I hope it is effective for Dinara (I would have slapped him after two sentences :lol:)

#286 ·

That's it, on-court coaching belongs to team stuff like Davis and Fed Cups. It's completely wrong for normal matches.
I'm not blaming Dina for using the rules, obviously, but I so hope they change this one back.

#288 ·

Well I don't really agree with you. I think that to coach somone should not only be to train the persone few hours a day. I mean on court coaching is dedicated to Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Soccer, Basket Ball ... But I think that if the player needs the help of his/her coach he or she must have the right to call for advices like in so many sports.

It's not cheating or something like cause the player still the only playing and the choice she or he makes is individual.

So I guess that Dinara needs her coach to find a way to gather all her energy, to find a good strategy or just to be "rassurée".

#292 ·

Well I don't really agree with you. I think that to coach somone should not only be to train the persone few hours a day. I mean on court coaching is dedicated to Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Soccer, Basket Ball ... But I think that if the player needs the help of his/her coach he or she must have the right to call for advices like in so many sports.

It's not cheating or something like cause the player still the only playing and the choice she or he makes is individual.

So I guess that Dinara needs her coach to find a way to gather all her energy, to find a good strategy or just to be "rassurée".
But it's part of a player's job and part of the beauty of tennis that the player is ALONE on court against his/her opponent and has to rely upon herself/himself alone to win. Tennis is an indiividual sport. Coach is for training, a proper match has to be a totally different experience. On-court coaching doesn't belong in tennis, it makes it totally cheap.

:woohoo: she won! 6-3 6-2 great match! her first title as #1!!!! :aparty:

:worship: :worship:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.