#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#573 ·
Re: Dinara Part 2: NUMBER ONE!!!!!!!

Who, btw, just won 6-2 7-5 against Kim :woohoo:

Way to go for keeping her nerves :yeah:

Davai, Dinarochka :aparty:

#574 · (Edited)

^ I think Kim's 5 DF's in the 2nd set did her in. I'm glad she's back though. :) Z didn't look pleased when Dina failed to serve out the match at 5-4, but what's new. :lol:

Brad Gilbert can suck it - he would pick an amateur to beat Dina if he could. :rolleyes:

Dina will face Pennetta in the SF on Saturday. :)

I just noticed that this is her 10th SF appearance in 14 tournaments this year.
:yeah:

#575 ·

why everybody hates Dinara, they invented the ranking system and now do not like the result, what morons, all americans were against her, I am glad Dinara kept her cool and did not make a lot of DF
I like the tactic with high deep balls with high bounce when defending or returning, very clever, Kim had some hard time with them

#577 ·

That's because she is ranked number 1 and Marat is nearing the end of his career.

And Mer, I'll say what I want, I'm not exactly bashing her, I'm just stating my opinion. I could do a lot of bashing like a lot of others have been doing but I'll save that, so don't complain. :)

#578 ·

I'll admit I started watching Dinara because of Marat, but now I like her for her own sake. Her game is not as varied or eye pleasing as her brother's or even as some other women players but she has a fighting spirit, fire power and huge determination to suceed and I admire that. I also admire that she managed to get to the top with less natural talent than other players, which is a credit to her hard work.
Personally, after seeing her in a couple of tourneys and reading her interviews I find her cute, a down to earth funny girl, and even her chokes in Slam finals are sort of endearing (as soon as I stop cursing and get over them, lol) as they make her more human and not a robot.
I do like Kim a lot too, she was one of my faves before (and she also had to deal with the crap of being Nr. 1 without a GS title) and I'm really glad to see her back. She'll have other wins, but this time I'm glad Dina won :)

#579 · (Edited)

Cincy SF: Dina def. Pennetta 6-2 6-0! :yippee:
This is her 8th final in 14 tournaments this year.
:yeah:
Pennetta looked a bit tired (only held serve once), and had a hard time returning Dina's powerful shots. Dina looked good, except when she was serving for the 1st set at 5-1 and had 3 DF's essentially braking herself. :lol: She had another game in the 2nd set where she had 2 DF's but fought back and held serve. The rest of the match was pretty much smooth sailing. :) She will face either Dementieva or Jankovic in the final tomorrow.

I was watching the match on TV --> in the 2nd set, Pam Shriver said she saw Marat sitting on a sofa in the player's lounge watching Dina on TV while reading a magazine. Pam asked him if he would come out for an interview but (according to her) he said "Pam - no." :lol:

#581 ·

^ I doubt it. He'll probably hang out on the sofa in the player's lounge again - where there's air-conditioning! :lol:

The other Women's SF last night was one of the biggest trainwrecks I've ever seen in tennis. :eek: It lasted nearly 3 hours, and Jankovic won after blowing 3 MP's late in the 3rd set then saving 4 MP's against her in the tie-break. 25 total DF's in the match (17 for Dementieva :help:). According to the stats, Dementieva won more total points (116 to 108) but still lost. :retard: Jankovic was very tired during and after the match - this has to help Dina since she had more time to recover for the final.

#582 ·

^ I doubt it. He'll probably hang out on the sofa in the player's lounge again - where there's air-conditioning! :lol:

The other Women's SF last night was one of the biggest trainwrecks I've ever seen in tennis. :eek: It lasted nearly 3 hours, and Jankovic won after blowing 3 MP's late in the 3rd set then saving 4 MP's against her in the tie-break. 25 total DF's in the match (17 for Dementieva :help:). According to the stats, Dementieva won more total points (116 to 108) but still lost. :retard: Jankovic was very tired during and after the match - this has to help Dina since she had more time to recover for the final.
I doubt it too, but, I wish he would watch, it would be really nice to see.

I watched part of JJ/Dementieva match; can't believe Elena lost. JJ looked exhausted. The second set was such a rout by Elena. I never watched the third set where apparently all the 'drama' of the match took place... Feel bad for Elena that she couldn't close it out.

#584 ·

Regarding a livestream, for some reason http://atdhe.net isn't working for me, but if you go to http://www.livescorehunter.com/Live-Streaming-Video-Tennis/ and click on the red bar that says "Video" next to WTA Cincinnati: Safina - Jankovic, you'll get a drop-down selection. Click on Link#1 beside the entry "Website". It takes a while to load. :)

Jankovic just won the first set. :awww:

#587 ·

Oh, dear. :awww: Dina was playing like the Marat of recent times - DF's, yelling, not finding the inside of the lines, occasional racquet throw... :p

Dina should have recruited her big brother to sit in her box to distract JJ. :lol:

#588 ·

IMHO, he should have been out there supporting her. It's between them, I realize that, but, it looks pretty sad that he's in the same city, not playing until tomorrow, and no where to be found during her match. Maybe she could have used him today.

Anyway, I felt terrible for her - I just don't get why she plays like a rockstar one day and then so badly the next day. I wish her luck in the upcoming tournaments!

#589 ·

IMHO, he should have been out there supporting her. It's between them, I realize that, but, it looks pretty sad that he's in the same city, not playing until tomorrow, and no where to be found during her match. Maybe she could have used him today.

Anyway, I felt terrible for her - I just don't get why she plays like a rockstar one day and then so badly the next day. I wish her luck in the upcoming tournaments!
If you listen to what Marat has had to say recently about Dinara, it's pretty clear WHY he is not visible in her box watching her matches when they are at the same tournaments - he is obviously conscious of the effect his career has had on her,in terms of the struggle she has had to establish her own credibility in the face of constant comparisons and expectations (and her own 'idolising' of him) and the fight she's had to emerge from his shadow.

He alluded to this very fact in his MEMORABLE "they can all fuck themselves' speech - and if she's constantly asked about him at her press conferences when he ISN'T around - imagine what it would be like if he was sitting in her box? I think Marat has good reasons to keep his distance PUBLICLY from Dinara and hence his refusal to be interviewed courtside during one of her matches - HE knows how much Dinara wants to succeed, on HER OWN terms and in her own right, and he doesn't want to become a sideshow and distraction from that, especially now that she IS moving into the most important part of her career - he is preparing to withdraw from tennis after all - and he knows that Dinara has all the professional support she needs - he supports her as her brother, I'm sure, and no less for his apparent 'absence' from her matches - he's cut some flack for this, and I think unfairly!

#591 ·

As for DInara's mental breakdowns in Finals - well - it's something that hopefully she will overcome - I agree that it's winning the first GS that will be such a huge relief for her - because clearly, she deserves her #1 spot fair and square - really can't see any valid argument against that - but I suspect that whatever she says to the contrary, she feels in her heart that she won't be fully recognised UNTIL she has a GS - and it's extra pressure that she puts on herself - but then, she IS her brother's sister in SOME respects, after all!

You can bet that when she DOES get her first GS win, she will immediatly start thinking 'Marat won 2 - I have to win 2 to prove it's not a 'fluke' ....' - which probably means like her brother, it will take her a few years to win her second!!

Either way, it goes with the territory - she's had a pretty good year after all - the reality is, the better you get and the more you win, the harsher the criticism and the bigger the expectations - Dinara , you could say, has actually had the benefit of NOT winning a GS too soon (something that personally, I think probably affected Marat's career in a not entirely positive way) so that when she DOES, she will be able to handle it better within the context of her career as a whole .... lets hope so!

#592 ·

welcome back inez!!!
just something to add to your little rant ;) it hasnt been just recently but marat's been explaining for years why he doesn't show up for dina's matches so him being in the same city/at the same tourney and not showing up is nothing new really :lol:

#593 ·

welcome back inez!!!
just something to add to your little rant ;) it hasnt been just recently but marat's been explaining for years why he doesn't show up for dina's matches so him being in the same city/at the same tourney and not showing up is nothing new really :lol:
Thanks for the welcome:) true though that may be, doesn't seem to matter how often he repeats himself - sometimes it just doesn't sink in, right?

#594 ·

I agree, Inez and Jiatika :)
Marat will not show up, so people will have to live with that. He has reason to do that and indeed we have discussed them dozen times (as much as the guy said them, himself) :angel:

It's sad that Dina lost, I really wanted her to win. Next time, she will :yeah:

#595 ·

Gee, i'm so sorry for stating my opinion and that you've all talked about it a "dozen times". I felt like, as I was watching the poor girl suffer, that it would have been nice had he been watching her, and as I stated in my post, I said I realize it's between them. I can live with it just fine, it was merely my thoughts while watching the match. It has sunken in. No need to make me feel like an idiot.

#596 ·

I felt like, as I was watching the poor girl suffer, that it would have been nice had he been watching her,
I don't think she would feel better if he was watching her suffer... I remember too well how she shouted to her mother to go away during RG 2008 final. I think Marat would make her even more nervious than her mom. Though of course we'll never know for sure. Anyway she became number one and won many finals without Marat and her parents in the box which means their presence is not a factor. Even more, sometimes I think that her coach wouldn't want Marat to sit in the box during importnant matches, and I think they did intentional job of distancing her from Marat emotionally for her own good. (that's only my speculation, so don't beat me)

#598 ·

Fair enough. Thanks AnnieNik, I appreciate the reply. And Mer, you're probably right, she would be more nervous with him watching than her Mom. I understand what you're all saying - just felt like there were a few little digs at me for "not knowing that he isn't there for a reason". I do know they have each said in the past, but, just felt that way while watching her and posted my thoughts.

Sometimes when I play in matches (and there is nothing at stake but pride and my own USTA level) I can't have anyone watching me - even matches at my home club bother me, because someone I know may be watching and I get nervous. So, I get it (on a much, much, much smaller level).

#599 ·

I can't have anyone watching me
Exactly! Imagine if there was a serious stake at hand, and people (and yourself) are putting so much unnecessary pressure on your game. Marat and Dinara just try to avoid the addiional load :angel:

#602 ·

Maybe fans could accept his absense more if she would come out and say that it would make her too nervous or whatever... I have heard the commentators often say something about this, too. :shrug: She comes to see him play!

#605 ·

Maybe fans could accept his absense more if she would come out and say that it would make her too nervous or whatever... I have heard the commentators often say something about this, too. :shrug: She comes to see him play!
He was watching her during the Hopman Cup, her singles match in the final. Well, half watching her, half reading a magazine :lol:

Apart from not wanting to overshadow her I don't think he likes much to go watch others play. I've seen many watching his matches, apart from Dina (Tursunov, Haas, Berdych, Sveta, etc, Gabashvilli was in his box Montreal...), but apart from DC, I've never seen him watching others.

#609 ·

Anyway, it's so nobody's business how many times a week he talks to his sister... How about some privacy ? :shrug: He probably spends 100 more time with his sister than I do with my brothers, yet I don't feel "unloved" by my bros. Really, if she had another job, nobody would care if he loves his family and how he proves it and all. Journalists and various commentators are so nosy. :(

#610 ·

Word!

Everybody seems to think they should be soooo close and talking to each other aaaaaall the time and spending time together and watch each other's matches but what for..?
I haven't talked to my brother in like half a year. And we're not arguing or anything, we just grew up and have different lives now. :shrug:

#611 · (Edited)

Toronto R2: Dina loses to Rezai 6-3 2-6 4-6. :drink:
Dina lost this match because of her DF's hands down - 17!!! :help: Dina actually won 1 more total point than Rezai (88 to 87). I don't know the error count - not sure I want to know...

Dina also smashed her racquet when she lost.

Funny quote from the press conference:
Q. You had 17 double faults and a couple times you double-faulted twice to give away a game. When you're serving like that, is it because your toss is wrong? Do you ever understand why you just can't get your first serve in?
DINARA SAFINA: You need to write a book then what's going on with my serve. It's disaster. I don't bend my legs, I'm jumping forwards instead of jumping forward, I'm kicking it too much instead of hitting it more because I kick it so much that the ball doesn't fly anywhere and it goes in the middle of the net, I drop my head, I don't hold the left arm. (laughter.)
It's so much, that you just -- I don't know. I know this, and I'm still so stupid that I continue doing it.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=58591

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.