Mens Tennis Forums banner

'08 Olympics: [4] Swiss Team wins GOLD Medal, def. Swedish Team 6-3, 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-3

14K views 206 replies 141 participants last post by  Sunset of Age 
#1 · (Edited)
I can't believe that I watched a men's doubles match in its entirety. :eek:

Federer was really enjoying himself with Wawrinka. He got the "other" gold. :)

Congrats to them on their deserved victory :yeah:

#165 ·
congrats to both teams :yeah:

#166 ·
I'm very happy for both of them. Federer's probably missed his chance in the singles, so it's fantastic he's got one in the doubles:) Congrats to Wawrinka too. I'm glad to see them take the title.

#168 ·
As a Rafa fan, I was thrilled to see Roger win the gold (and Stan too). Roger deserved to taste the glory of Olympic success for he has brought to the game...and I know now that regardless of what happens this year, he will view the year as a success. The man played like the best doubles player outside of Johnny Mac I've ever seen...and Stan...congrats to you for playing Robin to the Swiss Knight.

Now Roger: no excuse next year: GO FOR THE DAVIS CUP!!!!!!!!!!

#175 ·
Well any win for federer is welcomed these days so well done kid.

#176 ·
Funny how some Swiss (fans) now rate doubles so high :lol: And when other teams do it well, it is "they can't play", "they are a sideshow of the ATP", "they all suck", "doubles sucks" and such things :lol:

Too bad Swedish team could not win :eek:

#181 ·
shut up Jogy you muppet

we all know Singles >>>>> doubles in tennis

but

Olympic Gold is Olympic Gold :D

suck on it Fed haters

#182 ·
Olympic Gold is Olympic Gold :D

suck on it Fed haters
you only cheating on yourself if you think that because that is not the Gold medal he wanted most

olympic gold is olympic gold? it's the same medal, but not for the reputation

#193 ·
This GOLD medal in doubles is the best thing for him RIGHT NOW even better than the gold in singles in the long run.( AT THIS PRESENT TIME IN HIS CAREER)
Reasons his game is clearly lacking at this time and the singles gold might only put a plaster on the wound & not a cure. He clearly has a lot of work ahead of him . If he won he would think he is only slumping & not give his all to improve ,which is what is required right now.
However winning the gold in doubles gave him some-confidence ,took home a gold medal thus "taking a monkey of his back" ,gave him some match time on the HARD stuff .Having a partner to cry on or in this case laugh with,he said later stan was a friend he could confide in,thus taking some pressure of him.
But the TWO biggest benefits of this victory is that it has given him the confidence to MIX-UP his game with more volleys & greater anticipation, shorter reaction time. Before 2003/4 he played a lot of doubles and it CLEARLY helped his game.
Secondly the MENTAL aspect of it ,he was clearly down and out after Blake of all people defeated him,his confidence at an all time low BUT he didn't give up there were matches still to be played another oppotunity to medal for himself & for his country,he took full advantage of it in one of his worst period in the game. ALso visibly praising stan for the victories.
Clearly federer is a great champion ,he didn't give up after he was destroyed by nadal in RG 08 & he didn't give up when he was humiliated by BLAKE. TO me this proves he is mentally strong.
IN short fed still has unfinished business & I for -one will not count him out.EVER.

Reactions: Gnomey
#195 ·
Too bad this won't be enough for a golden career slam in singles.

#196 ·
No, but when Roger is 30 and he decides to play doubles for two years, he can get it there. :)

And maybe the LTA will put real grass back in Wimbledon by 2012.

#204 ·
Enjoyed watching this match, and was rooting for the Swiss all the way. Hate to see a champion fall from grace, so at least Federer can take some gold quite literally away from this season even if he fails at U.S. Open.

Wawrinka played well, but Federer is clearly the much better doubles player once he's focused. The Swedes didn't play great but I feel the Swiss pair could have raised their game if need be so the result wasn't in doubt.

Gotta love the celebrations too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.