Mens Tennis Forums banner

Beijing Olympics SF: Feña Gonzalez def. James Blake 4-6 7-5 11-9! HE FIGHTS FOR GOLD!

22K views 479 replies 138 participants last post by  SheepleBuster 
#1 ·
Gonzo :worship:

Finally. :D Now get the gold

#400 ·
Re: Beijing Olympics SF: Feña Gonzalez def. James Blake 4-6 7-5 11-9! HE FIGHTS FOR G

Though never favourites of tennis purists who lament their going-for-broke, tactically shallow gamestyles, Gonzo and Blake proved yet again that they are premier exponents of showmanship. This was a really entertaining match. Blake unfortunately chose, with a cold fish handshake, to cling onto one controversial point in a match lasting nearly 180 minutes. Yes, focusing on mitigating factors can make a loss easier, but the American only brings charges of hypocrisy against him when spouting sentiments (in his post-match interview) about sporting integrity being a keystone of the Olympics. His implication was that Gonzalez's action (or lack thereof) at 8-9 made him a bad sport, a cheat, and willing to bend the rules to bring the medal back to Chile. I'm not sure how aware Gonzalez was of the racket contact, but let's just say that he did cheat; does that put Blake in the position of patron saint of fair play? I think not. Blake put himself first in the notorious round robin fiasco in 2007, to the detriment of his own reputation as a good sport. Furthermore, his perceived integrity has taken hits over repeated references on court that suggest money is his prime motivaton, including an embarassing harangue of Carlos Ramos after a defeat to Monfils at the French: "Have you ever played tennis, Carlos?...Oh, okay, but do you know what it's like to play for thousands of dollars?"

It would have been better if Blake could have focused on the part he had to play in a great encounter that entertained the majority of us. As he once said, the professionals aren't going out there to have cups of tea with each other, and one needn't lose any sleep over ruthlessly beating Berlocq 6-0 6-0.

#403 ·
Re: Beijing Olympics SF: Feña Gonzalez def. James Blake 4-6 7-5 11-9! HE FIGHTS FOR G

Chile is a beautiful country, and I'm very sad that some of the Chileans on here take this personally from a nationalistic view. This is ONE MAN making one decision, nothing more or less.

Perhaps even sadder is some of the responses on here. I played college tennis at a major SEC school stateside, and apparently a lot of things have changed in the past decade. I was trained to win on your own merits and not by "hooking" an opponent at all costs, but there are many youths that now do the opposite (often more so in America than anywhere to be honest). All of my teammates and most of the opponents we played were gentlemen who would have called this on themselves in a heartbeat. Sure there were your rare arseholes, poor line callers, and gamesmanship abusers, but on the whole it was pretty decent.

I think speaking up on a linecall or speaking up when you know the ball hit your racket are two entirely different issues. For starters, line calls are often give and take throughout a match, and linespeople as well as the chair umpire are constantly looking out for them. A ball hitting your racket and even calling two bounces against yourself are generally perceived (at least in Europe, the USA, and Australia) as honor calls that are to be made by the offending player. Maybe things are different in South American tennis, but I doubt it as there are some class acts there too.

Gonzalez knew the ball hit his racquet, had Blake and the chair umpire looking for him to speak up, and chose not to. That's a personal decision he made and will have to live with. Would it have affected the match? Probably not, but the doubt will cast a heavy shadow for years to come. Even deeper, I think it speaks something more about him as a person, and I'm disappointed to see that.

Most of the pros I'm friends/acquaintances with would have called that on themselves I feel confident, although you never know until put in that situation. If it gives Blake any solace, I think the match was only going to determine the silver medal anyways. Cheers...

#411 ·

Gonzalez knew the ball hit his racquet, had Blake and the chair umpire looking for him to speak up, and chose not to. That's a personal decision he made and will have to live with.
Why is everyone assuming Gonzalez knew the ball touched the racket? I don't know he may have not been aware of that. You have to see it on different perspectives not just the one it suits you. That's for everyone anyway.

The ball didn't showed change of directions and although the slow camera did show the ball touching the racket it was soo fine the racket didn't even moved one bit.

#410 ·

Did Blake actually ask Gonzalez personally to call it ? I don't think so, he was arguing with the umpire and after the match he said that he looked straight into Gonzalez eyes and Gonzalez didn't say " I did it, it was cheating, because I could direct the ball and I directed it to just hit my racquet but I made it in such a way that Bernandez the sleeping beauty wouldn't see it ". What a cheat that was...they'd have probably replayed the point anyway.
Turning point of the match? don't think so, at the time I thought it could have been, that Blake would lose it and throw the match...but he didn't, Gonzalez held, Blake held and on they went.
If you're talking about match defining moments then I'd say that the footfault they called on Safin in Cincinatti, yes that was a defining moment. but that one wasn't. Why? Because there's no guarantee Mr Blake would have broken even if he was awarded the point. It's just sour grapes, that's what it is.
If they want pure transparency they can employ video evidence as they do in other sports.

#412 ·

I'm disappointed in Gonzalez. Not surprised, though. Not because Gonzo is a bad character. I don't believe that. In the moment he did what a lot of athletes would do -- and have -- in this sport and in others.

He'll be paying for it in more ways than he knows.

Blake: :eek: God his whole schtick is so damn phony. If he hadn't pulled that BS in Vegas and, um, gee, I dunno, didn't act like a totally spoiled baby every flaming time he loses, I'd have sympathy.

But nope, right on cue, he delivers a pompous my-shit-don't stink speech, complete with a reference to his late father. He should have put his damn autobiography on the press conference table next to whatever drink -- Sour Grapes Juice? :drink:-- he was pitching.

Interesting day. Some players -- Blake and Nadal -- stayed true to form in terms of character. Others -- Gonzo and Djokovic (who has choked before but who congratulated Nadal and expressed his sadness genuinely) -- added a new layer or two to their popular perception.

#419 ·

link please
I found this one in the afternoon, not great quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BscBgi9L8

I hope it clarifies something, anything really. It did not for me. :lol:

The slow camera I was mentioning was a close up of the shot I saw unfortunately on TV.

#422 · (Edited)

:haha: :haha:

EDIT: I thought it was photoshopped :eek:

#426 ·

Canal 13. :)

I'm out, I hope anyone see the close up. :D
I did see the replay a few times on a 73" HD TV. The ball hit the racket and changed direction. For a professional tennis player saying he was not sure the ball hit his racket, it's a big boatload of ****.

And please don't call me a Blake fan, a Gonzo hater or pro-USAmerican because I am none of these.

I am not here to argue whether Blake and/or Gonzo is/are gentleman players. I am not here to argue whether Blake should put himself on a pedestral and talked down toward another player. I am not here to argue whether what the umpire should or should not do. I am not here to argue whether this point affect the outcome of the match.

I am here just to point out a few facts I know:

1. the ball hit Gonzo's racket and went out (it doesn't matter whether the ball might be out or not without hitting the racket)
2. I saw other top players conceded a point to their opponents even the line judge/umpire gave them the point
3. umpire accept a player concedes a point

#425 ·

Good win, stained by bad sportmanship. Still a great effort from both and that particular point didn't affect the outcome at all.

Anyways I'm not fond of this kind of behaviour, so I hope Nadal beats him comfortably on Sunday.

#430 · (Edited)

From what I've been reading, the press generally is saying James is a sore loser, who is ignoring the real reasons he lost. Fernando said if he had been 100% sure the ball had hit his racquet he would have conceded the point but he was not 100% sure. Who would give up a point if they weren't sure? In the heat and quickness of the moment he made a decision and I do not fault him for that. I believe Feranando to be as sportsman like as any of the best behaved players and I find this whole character asassination sad. I dont' expect to change anyone's opinion, but I will stand by a player I am proud to call a favorite.

Here is the reposrt from the nbc website:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tennis/news/newsid=217846.html#blake+loses+shot+gold+fires+shots

#436 ·

From what I've been reading, the press generally is saying James is a sore loser, who is ignoring the real reasons he lost. Fernando said if he had been 100% sure the ball had hit his racquet he would have conceded the point but he was not 100% sure. Who would give up a point if they weren't sure? In the heat and quickness of the moment he made a decision and I do not fault him for that. I believe Feranando to be as sportsman like as any of the best behaved players and I find this whole character asassination sad. I dont' expect to change anyone's opinion, but I will stand by a player I am proud to call a favorite.

Here is the reposrt from the nbc website:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tennis/news/newsid=217846.html#blake+loses+shot+gold+fires+shots
Don't think so. And if you look at what Blake said, he gave Gonzo credit for the victory, saying that he played the big points better. He's just mad at the reprehensible conduct by Gonzo.

#431 ·

Such unfair behaviour is a shame. I always knowed that Gonzalez was a prick, but it's bad if you must know it exactly that it touched and then don't give the point in fair play.

Gonzo and fans, just admit that this was unfair on the court and that he will do anything just to win. And don't act like you are saints, actually the chilean fans also like to search for errors in umpires or such.

Good that there is TV replay that showed the world that Blake was right.

#432 ·

Gonzo!:D

#433 ·

"It was really one or two points, and who played those one or two points better," Blake said. "Today he did at the end."
don't think he's necessarily being a sore loser by raising the issue. it's obviously playing on his mind and he was asked about it several times. the above quote (ignored by most sources I've read)suggests he's not blaming the incident for his loss.

#439 ·

Always delighted to read a post starting "you chileans". I'm glad that we are SOOO important to you:wavey:

Really, I'm starting to get tired of all the moral dictators around here. Even when everyone acts like everyone.

#440 · (Edited)

too bad i didnt watched it... but sounds like one heck of a match... Congrats Gonzo!!

"shave your head! i can see a white hair" :rolleyes: the controversy is wayy exaggerated.

it wasnt even a decisive moment.. at match pt you can argue, at break pt you can argue... but i think the result would have been the same... everything on its context... but blaming the loss all on that one incident is just stupid.

and if its about your incredible sense of justice.. then i would pity you for scrutinizing every detail and holding grudge against it, depleting any possibility of joy in life... things are not perfect, the judges are not perfect, and its up to you to take it as a whole or whine about its pieces... learn to let things go.

#476 ·

too bad i didnt watched it... but sounds like one heck of a match... Congrats Gonzo!!

"shave your head! i can see a white hair" :rolleyes: the controversy is wayy exaggerated.

it wasnt even a decisive moment.. at match pt you can argue, at break pt you can argue... but i think the result would have been the same... everything on its context... but blaming the loss all on that one incident is just stupid.

and if its about your incredible sense of justice.. then i would pity you for scrutinizing every detail and holding grudge against it, depleting any possibility of joy in life... things are not perfect, the judges are not perfect, and its up to you to take it as a whole or whine about its pieces... learn to let things go.
Yeah like Roger being #1 :angel:

#441 ·

30 pages? that's too much. :tape:

#444 ·

I might have to take Blake off my signature. I thought people were being ridiculous bashing him for the round robin chaos, but his comments today were inexcusable.

A true mature sportsman loses with class. Class is not making up imaginary rules and then whining about your opponent following the crystal clear rules set out by the ATP and the ITF instead of your personal imaginary rules.

edit: after rereading Blake's comments. What he did was not sorta low, it was REALLY low. He lost to a player who played fair and square and tried to taint that player's well earned victory. Behavior like that is something I would have expected from an athlete with no character, like Pam Shriver; it is not something I would expect from James

Reactions: Sparko1030
#450 ·

I might have to take Blake off my signature. I thought people were being ridiculous bashing him for the round robin chaos, but his comments today were inexcusable.

A true mature sportsman loses with class. Class is not making up imaginary rules and then whining about your opponent following the crystal clear rules set out by the ATP and the ITF instead of your personal imaginary rules.

edit: after rereading Blake's comments. What he did was not sorta low, it was REALLY low. He lost to a player who played fair and square and tried to taint that player's well earned victory. Behavior like that is something I would have expected from an athlete with no character, like Pam Shriver; it is not something I would expect from James
You really think that Gonzo played fair and square. He almost certainly knew that the ball hit his racquet and yet said nothing. Then he lied about what happened after the match. Blake rightfully called him out for his reprehensible conduct. And keep in mind that this is a player who was very careful with what he said against Hewitt after his racist comments.

#447 · (Edited)

There are so many instances in tennis when a linesman makes a wrong call against you and your opponent knows it was wrong but doesn't concede the point. Just recently I was watching the Sampras-Federer match at Wimbledon and Federer played a volley that clearly hit the sideline...chalk flew up...Sampras was standing right next to it and the linesman and the umpire called it wide. Fed half heartedly argued with the umpire and lost the point. Does that make Sampras a bad sportsman? Pete Sampras is NOT a bad sportsman. The whole world knows that!!! How does that compare with what happened during this match? In both cases your opponent knew they didn't deserve the point. Um...well Gonzo said he wasn't 100% sure, but I think he was ;).

If I was playing someone in a deciding set and my opponent swore at me on a mistake that I made when I accidentally hit the ball at his head which happens in tennis all the time...then under those circumstances...even I wouldn't concede the point. I would let the umpire decide. Payback is a bitch!

But that is just my opinion. :)

#455 ·

But the fact is: in Volleyball there is video, in tennis there isn't. So the discussion is again USELESS. :wavey:

#456 ·

But the fact is: in Volleyball there is video, in tennis there isn't. So the discussion is again USELESS. :wavey:
Again, I feel as if I am missing something. You called the vball and tennis situations "very similar." I said that they weren't similar because in vball there is video while there isn't video in tennis. Now, it seems as if you are agreeing with my point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.