Mens Tennis Forums banner

PERO QUE SI PERO QUE NO! US HC are not wicked anymore! Mi BAs querida me voy!!!

51K views 874 replies 68 participants last post by  luxsword 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, well, we are done with Us hard courts! Marat lost to Robredo in the 2nd round. 6/4 6/7 4/6 and :eek: 0/6
Couldn't watch the match, only the last point, so don't know what happened, but sure it will be lots of reports and discussion in the thread.
Now, since I don't know if he will play any tourn. before BAs, I guess it is time for Moscow then BAs! :awww: So close, so far away....

#425 ·
Re: US HC are wicked! Bye bye L.A. and Washington DC!! See u in NYC!!

Flexibility restricted? :awww:
I hope it's nothing serious! Ahhh how unfortunate. :(

Edit: added quotes.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Marat Safin's U.S. Open preparations suffered a setback when the former world number one was forced to retire from his first round match at the ATP event in Washington with a neck injury on Tuesday.

The Russian sixth seed lost the first set against Italian Fabio Fognini 7-5 and then decided to withdraw from the match.

"I just blocked it and I pulled a muscle," Safin told reporters, adding that he suffered the injury during the second point of the match.

"It was getting worse and worse. I should have stopped earlier. I thought it might get a bit better, but it didn't."

Safin said he would now rest and then go to New York to prepare for the U.S. Open, which begins on Aug 25.

"I need at least four to five days to be able to turn it. I should be OK (for the U.S. Open)," he said. "I can't do much about it. It's a pity but I have to deal with it."

#428 ·

:dance: I do a mean neck massage :aplot:

#429 ·

stupid neck injuries. :rolleyes: hopefully he'll recover in time for the USO (and some decent practice if possible!)

#430 ·

I missed Marat's practice yesterday, but caught him as he was leaving. Couldn't get close enough for autographs, but he was signing and taking photos for a few minutes before going inside. I saw his match, :sad: not sure when he hurt himself but it must've been early on since he was grabbing at his neck almost from the start. He seemed to get a bit frustrated near the end of that first set, threw his racket, took another long injury time out where I had a terrific view (wait until I get the photos up), then it was over. I volunteered to give the neck massage as soon as I saw him grabbing his neck, lol.

#434 ·

I missed Marat's practice yesterday, but caught him as he was leaving. Couldn't get close enough for autographs, but he was signing and taking photos for a few minutes before going inside. I saw his match, :sad: not sure when he hurt himself but it must've been early on since he was grabbing at his neck almost from the start. He seemed to get a bit frustrated near the end of that first set, threw his racket, took another long injury time out where I had a terrific view (wait until I get the photos up), then it was over. I volunteered to give the neck massage as soon as I saw him grabbing his neck, lol.
Neck massage would be nice :angel:.

Marat :sad:

#433 · (Edited)

Yeah it was really too bad about Marat. He seemed to get pissy with the ball girl during his second game, (not directed at her, per se, just she was the one holding the towel) and I was like, "What's wrong?" Then during the changeover the trainer came out and he was getting massages after that during each change over. Nothing he could do about it. Looked more like it was affecting his service motion more than anything else. But that is a pretty important part of his game.

After he lost the 1st set, he made the retirement sign. Hung out for a while watched the end of Grosjean/Schwank, was too far away from Marat as he left, plus the crowd was a little bit pushy. (gotta love the kids) There were a lot of people there wishing him well. There were also the jerks behind me who apparently didn't think Marat was hurt and booed him while he was leaving the court. One quick stare from me silenced them right away.

#435 ·

Yeah it was really too bad about Marat. He seemed to get pissy with the ball girl during his second service game (not directed at her, per se just she was the one holding the towel. ) and I was like, "What's wrong?" Then during the changeover the trainer came out and he was getting massages after that during each change over. Nothing he could do about it. Looked more like it was affected his service than anything else. But that is a pretty important part of his game. After he lost the 2nd set, he made the retirement sign. Hung out for a while watched the end of Grosjean/Swank, was too far away from Marat as he left, plus the crowd was a little bit pushy. (gotta love the kids) There were a lot of people there wishing him well. There were also the jerks behind me who apparently didn't think Marat was hurt and booed him while he was leaving the court. One quick stare from me silenced them right away.
Thanks so much for your report!:wavey:
I can´t believe that there are people who were booing for him! What should that? Why should Marat say that he has hurts, if he doesn´t really have hurts? Thats unlogical!:confused::confused:
And it is unfair!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I hope that Marat feels better now and that he can start at the US Open!!:worship::worship:

#438 ·

Hi everyone! I'm new here ^_^

I was gutted to see that Marat retired. I was hoping he'd go all the way cos he's defiantely made a significant improvement in his game!

Ps Cant wait to see all the pics! (Ive been droolin over the pictures thread hmmmm HMMMMMM)!!

#442 ·

Ho God another injury :sad:

#444 ·

Hopefully just a false alarm, injury wise :sad:
He sounds pretty confident that he'll be OK for the Open, so, seems to be just a pulled muscle or something. Said he couldn't turn his neck and needed it to heal. I am more concerned about what this injury does to his (I imagine, diminishing) confidence. He has often talked about how playing more matches is needed to raise his confidence, and, having to bow out before a grand slam can't be good for his mind set... :shrug: :scared:

#448 ·

No, I didn't see him at the hotel yet. It was definitely his voice, talking in Russian. I didn't make it to the door of my room in time to see him.

#449 ·

Dammit, I think he just left with some rackets. Too fast, I just saw his back through the peephole in the door. Cannot confirm 100% it is him, there was someone who looked like him from behind and another guy with a green Prince racket bag with him. Couldn't hear what they were talking about.

#457 ·

Dammit, I think he just left with some rackets. Too fast, I just saw his back through the peephole in the door. Cannot confirm 100% it is him, there was someone who looked like him from behind and another guy with a green Prince racket bag with him. Couldn't hear what they were talking about.
I wouldn't go around peeping through peepholes at hotels in Vermont ... have you not watched the Sopranos? Vermont is where the mob goes to bury their ex-associates ;)

#461 ·

I wouldn't go around peeping through peepholes at hotels in Vermont ... have you not watched the Sopranos? Vermont is where the mob goes to bury their ex-associates ;)
Never been to Vermont or plan on going, but thanks for the advice. :wavey:

I'm at home now, hotel stay is over. :sad:
I would assume Marat is somewhere with cleaner air than Washington, DC right about now.

#451 ·

Where is Vermont?
vermont is a gorgeous state in New England, wich is an area north of New York. I come from that region. There are mountains and lakes, I'm sure he will enjoy his time there very much.:angel:.. it will be very peaceful for him. Here's a picture of New England

Here's hoping he gets well and comes out on FIRE for the US Open!!!

#455 ·

Well, his website just says he's in Vermont - not sure exactly where - it's a pretty big state, and there are a ton of places for him to choose from, as there are many lakes and rivers (as you can see on this site - http://www.vtliving.com/fishing/index.shtml)... if he wants to stay close to an airport so he can get back to NYC easily, I would guess he's near Burlington, but that's purely speculation! By plane, from there, he can be back in NYC in about 45 mins to an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.