Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tommy Haas on Murray: "He brings on trainer then moves like a cat"

13K views 151 replies 74 participants last post by  Fireballer 
#1 ·
"It's difficult when you play against someone who is walking on the court like he is not well or is injured," Haas said. "I find no one does this better than Andy Murray, from time to time. Sometimes he looks like he can barely move, then comes the trainer and then he moves like a cat. I believe everyone knows this now. People talk about it in the locker room.

"Maybe he would like to take some pressure off himself. He tells himself, maybe I have a niggle or a problem, I am not feeling too well, but I'm going to try it anyway. But he is such a talented player that he really doesn't need [to do] this."

:worship:

#2 ·
This thread took too long to appear. Obviously Hasi's ranking is too gimpy to warrant a same day GM thread :sad:

#4 ·
Someone get Clydey in here.

#20 ·
I'll fill in:

Murray calls the trainer the least on Tour except for Federer. So I don't know what Haas is going on about, he's certainly not using facts and logic to back his ramblings.

#9 ·
clearly his trainer does a very good job, GOAT trainer perhaps?

#11 ·
IMO Hass and his gluten should STFU.

#16 ·
Someone still bitter about losing to an injured Murray at IW in 07 I see :zzz:

Andy very rarely calls the trainer, so that's actually a load of crap.

Does he spend a lot of time on court clutching at something, pulling faces, or touching his knee, his back, whatever? Yes he does. Is he injured or faking it? Nobody can know except him and what you choose to believe probably depends on whether you like him or not in the first place. If you like him you give him the benefit of the doubt. If you don't you probably cry "gamesmanship".

Either way, it doesn't really matter - the opponent has to get past these things and play the ball, not the guy or his on-court antics, tough as that may be. If you ask Murray I'm sure he'd say Haas is entitled to his opinion but that Haas is wrong. I'm sure Murray doesn't give a fiddler's toss what Haas or anyone else thinks about this.

If you define gamesmanship as "disrupting the natural flow of the match to try to gain advantage" then there are many, many players out there with many different tricks that are gamesmanship, most of which are not actually breaking any rules, so you have to deal with them and not hide behind this as an excuse when you then lose to them.

#43 ·
Someone still bitter about losing to an injured Murray at IW in 07 I see :zzz:
100% correct, it all goes back to Indian Wells in 2007... Tommy Haas also said in his post-match interview that he was waiting 5 years to finally bash Murray, since that was his most painful loss in the last 5 years :wavey:

If you define gamesmanship as "disrupting the natural flow of the match to try to gain advantage" then there are many, many players out there with many different tricks that are gamesmanship, most of which are not actually breaking any rules, so you have to deal with them and not hide behind this as an excuse when you then lose to them.
That is playing down bad sportsmanship and nothing else. I hope you saw that match against Gasquet at the French as a fan of this sport, not just through Andy Murray signature glasses. cheers

#19 ·
Good point. Murray never calls the trainer but looks like he has been shot by a sniper half the time. True spartan.

Reactions: Lopez
#24 ·
Oh forget you Haas. I got a divorce from your bandwagon after you lost to that French pretty boy Gasquet. How could you lose double bagel to that mug?

#26 ·
The match against Gasquet this year at Roland Garros was absurd. The trainer wasn't involved but in the second set, he would wince and feel his back but only after he lost a point. Then came the fist pumping after winning points after running around and moving into more vulnerable positions than Stretch Armstrong. Then after he took control of the match, the back was never to be heard of again.

Ridiculous behaviour.

Haas must find it extremely patronising considering the man has been through more injuries than 99% of players that have ever played on the ATP tour and yet he comes back, time and time again, with no drama nor complaint.

#27 ·
This is my favourite thread of all time in the making.

Stop lurking Clydey. I promise we'll still be lovers once the dust settles.

#30 ·
Too lazy to even cut and post Scoob's entire post dear?

Nurse Hasi = best Hasi.

#37 ·
Andy acts like an ass on the court too with swearing and all that

#36 ·
Murray would be a great player if he didn't choose to copy his idol Nadal without the power to do it. Instead he became an ugly pusher, not many respect for him, not to mention his attitude on the court.

Federer was right about him.
what did Fed say about him?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.