Choosing my 1st Racket......Help. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
country flag Geronemo3

Geronemo3 is on a distinguished road
Default Choosing my 1st Racket......Help.

Hi,
I've started playing tennis like 2 weeks ago with my neighbour who's only as good as i am
I have to buy my 1st tennis racket which i am excited about but obviously need help from the experts.
I've done some reading regarding the weight, head size, length, flexibility, material of different racket and do understand the basics but i do not have experience.

My budget is $60 for my 1st racket, hopefully that should last me 2years.
I am looking to buy graphite racket, weight around 10oz, head size 105-110sq.in. lenght i guess 27inch.
I am playing for leisure and to keep fit, but i am competitive and want to improve as much as possible. I am athletic and a fast learner, am 5'6" tall, 29yrs. old and 135lbs. My grip is between 4-5/8 and 4-6/8.

Following are the rackets i have shortlisted but any advice in any direction is appreciated.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/famil...=TRUE&view=all

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head...AD-TIS5CZ.html

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1282915&cp=3053442.4018782.401 7350&f=PRTagBestUses/TSA/Casual+athlete&fr=StorePrice/TSA/00005000/00010000&lmdn=How+I+Use+It&fbc=1&fbx=0&s=A-StorePrice-TSA&fbn=PRTagBestUses|Casual+athlete&parentPage=fa mily

Also what type of balls should i be buying for practice, something that not very expensive and would last sometime. I usually play 3 days a week, 45 mins-1 hr. a day.

Thanks for the help guys
Geronemo3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing my 1st Racket......Help.

Use the head TI from tennis warehouse its the best bang for your buck
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
country flag Geronemo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
Use the head TI from tennis warehouse its the best bang for your buck
Thanks lot for the help. I will go with Head then.

Also can you tell me what type of tennis balls should i get.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #4

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

My fav. are Penn championship, then the Dunlop Grand Pix, and then Wilson. If you plan on using them over and over you may want to purchase pressurless practice balls instead seeing as how they dont lose their bounce as quickly.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
country flag Geronemo3

Quote:
My fav. are Penn championship, then the Dunlop Grand Pix, and then Wilson. If you plan on using them over and over you may want to purchase pressurless practice balls instead seeing as how they dont lose their bounce as quickly.
Thanks again, i didnt know about pressureless balls and googled it after you told, so i will go with pressureless.

Also one last thing i wanted to ask, i came across this the TI S6 which is $65
http://www.midwestsports.com/head-ti...uet/p/1101031/

So my question is should i pay extra $10 for Ti S6 over S5??

sorry i keep asking you stuff but do you think that Head liquid metal Radical would be a good choice for $5 extra bucks???
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head...AD-LMRADO.html

thanks.

Last edited by Geronemo3 : 05-14-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #6

I bought my younger brother the liquidmetal Radical MP a while ago and I have hit with and it seems to be a very good frame. The great thing about the Radical Oversize is that you can use it weather you are just starting all the way through intermediate level. Personally I would go with the Radical. Tennis warehouse is also my choice for an online racket dealer, and I buy all my dunlop rackets from them. The prices are amazing and shipping is always timely.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
country flag Geronemo3

Quote:
I bought my younger brother the liquidmetal Radical MP a while ago and I have hit with and it seems to be a very good frame. The great thing about the Radical Oversize is that you can use it weather you are just starting all the way through intermediate level. Personally I would go with the Radical. Tennis warehouse is also my choice for an online racket dealer, and I buy all my dunlop rackets from them. The prices are amazing and shipping is always timely.
I went with your advice and ordered Radical Oversize from tennis warehouse.
The shipping was really fast, i ordered Tuesday evening and got it on Thursday, i qualified for 2 days shipping.
The racket feels really good, looks really good and light, gonna go check it out on the court tomorrow.

Hopefully i will be using it for a few years

Thanks for the advice and all the help.

P.S. i have one question, It has a "logo dampener" with the racket in a separate envelope, is that something like a shock absorbent, does it make a difference using it??

thanks again.