Giuliani: momentum to propel Kagan to the Supreme Court of the United States - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #61
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NBC: Obama to name Kagan for high court - would be third woman; second Jewish wo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima donna View Post
I'm apt to extend a longer rope to those who are clearly gifted. Ms. Kagan is an innate thinker who possesses the tools, both intellectual and interpersonal, with which to influence her colleagues. A bit of tautology: some experience is preferable to none at all. In other words, I don't mind her inexperience. Other than a few Republicans who must appease their parochial constituents, few others will mind it. Still, dignified Republicans will find it difficult to oppose someone who embodies moderation. Kagan is, in many ways, reflective of the future of the United States: tolerant of social liberty and economic prosperity.
I know you're not a very intelligent person, which is why you lack the wisdom to see, through your ethnic bias and inexorable snobbery, Kagan for what she really is.
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #62
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NBC: Obama to name Kagan for high court - would be third woman; second Jewish wo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloimeh View Post
Please look at this speech:

I see nothing intelligent, enlightened, fresh, or eloquent in this speech. It's redundant, trite, smug, and I really think she has a major speech impediment.

So let's see:

"PROS":

1.) Gay
2.) Woman
3.) For PD, Jewish
4.) Academic pedigree
5.) Political connections

CONS:

1.) No judicial experience
2.) No strong litigation experience
3.) Sparse scholarly output
4.) Poor and unimaginative public speaker
5.) Hideous/mannish

Hmm, I'm sure there's absolutely no one better qualified for the position of Associate Justice than Elena Kagan...
The President of the United States of America and the United States Senate find nothing wrong with Ms. Kagan's speech pattern, nor have they detected any intellectual deficiencies, as demonstrated by previous confirmation hearings. You are entitled to your own views, but you're terribly outnumbered and, frankly, powerless. My support for Kagan has little to do with "Jewish nationalism". Instead, it has to do with rewarding the brightest of our society. The fact that such individuals are often Jewish is merely coincidental.

Ms. Kagan is a brilliant woman who, oddly enough, also happens to be Jewish. How delightful!
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #63
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.c...-the-court/?hp
Old 05-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #64
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The President of the United States of America and the United States Senate find nothing wrong with Ms. Kagan's speech pattern, nor have they detected any intellectual deficiencies, as demonstrated by previous confirmation hearings. You are entitled to your own views, but you're terribly outnumbered and, frankly, powerless. My support for Kagan has little to do with "Jewish nationalism". Instead, it has to do with rewarding the brightest of our society. The fact that such individuals are often Jewish is merely coincidental.

Ms. Kagan is a brilliant woman who, oddly enough, also happens to be Jewish. How delightful!
I do not take into account the opinions of the president of the US and the US senate in forming my opinions. People training in science are taught to be skeptical of knowledge merely handed down to them from authority without evidence. Again, the fact that I am powerless and in the minority, has no bearing on my opinion or its validity either. What evidence can you present of her being a "brilliant woman"?

What are her seminal publications? What landmark cases did she argue? Heck, a guy like Lawrence Tribe or a woman like Kathleen Sullivan (who is also lesbian, mind you), would be infinitely preferrable. At least Sullivan actually wrote an important textbook on constitutional law. Again, what "amazing" thing has Kagan accomplished?
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #65
country flag prima donna
Banned!

One's credentials are self-explanatory. Few, if any, mediocre people have graduated from Harvard, Princeton, and Oxford. I'm of the belief that one must be exceptionally gifted in order to become dean of Harvard Law School and attract the attention of two presidents, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. In my book, Ms. Kagan doesn't need to demonstrate her intellectual fortitude. To the extent that scholarship is germane to the situation at hand, it would serve as a mere luxury by providing deeper insight into her views. I make no apologies for my desire to live in a civilized country in which important decisions are rendered by the brightest. Snobbery, elitism, call it what you may.

As for your skepticism and critical views, well, the impact of such positions is microscopic. That's all. You're free to degrade a person on the basis of her appearance but, ultimately, Kagan will be judged by mature adults.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #66
country flag Bibberz
RAJ KAREGA KHALSA

Bibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloimeh View Post
I see nothing intelligent, enlightened, fresh, or eloquent in this speech. It's redundant, trite, smug, and I really think she has a major speech impediment.
How well do you know the other justices? Some are redundant, trite, and smug when they speak, and all are redundant, trite, and smug when they write opinions.

Quote:
"PROS":

1.) Gay
Has this been confirmed? Is she Ellen Degeneres gay or just David Souter gay?

Quote:
Hmm, I'm sure there's absolutely no one better qualified for the position of Associate Justice than Elena Kagan...
Look, there are surely lots of people who have more substantive legal experience and whose bodies of work are more accessible. That's not really the point. Kagan's slim paper trail makes her virtually unassailable. Obama does not want a protracted or ugly confirmation process ahead of the midterm elections--which is just what he would get if he nominated someone you considered "qualified."

Supposedly Kagan is really adept at brokering deals. This isn't the sort of thing that is easy to objectively measure, so I'm a bit skeptical here. However, if this is one of her strengths, she could indeed make a very, very effective justice.

By the way, Kagan's lack of litigation experience does not concern me in the slightest. Anyone who says Kagan is ill-prepared to be a justice for this particular reason either doesn't understand much about the SCOTUS or is vainly looking for a reason to attack her.

I have my reservations, but I can't say Kagan was a bad selection.

Quote:
Old 05-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #67
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

I do think it's come to something when you can view the fact that a nominee has virtually no body of written argument to review as a positive thing...

I mean, yes, it does mean that the opposition have less potential weapons to attack with but surely you don't want the fact that somebody has written extensively and perhaps sometimes controversially on many subjects before the law to be a potential bar to their nomination on the grounds that it will lead to a huge fight? It seems like a dubious benefit to me.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #68
country flag prima donna
Banned!

Jeff Sessions, the Republican from Alabama, is griping over Kagan's "inexperience". How astonishing!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #69
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Wow what a shock, I saw the thread title and I guessed prima donna would be a regular poster. He didn't let me down
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #70
country flag prima donna
Banned!

Default Re: Giuliani: momentum to propel Kagan to the Supreme Court of the United States

Sane Republicans are gradually joining the chorus of those singing the praises of Elena Kagan:

Giuliani: Kagan ‘Very Well-Qualified’

Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani on Monday said President Obama’s choice for the U.S. Supreme Court, Elena Kagan, was not a nominee against whom he would “fight the last mile” to block Senate confirmation.
“She seems like a very well-qualified person and somebody that – certainly not somebody that I’d appoint, but I don’t think she’d be sombody that I would, you know, fight the last mile to try to stop her,” Giuliani told POLITICO at a fundraiser for New York GOP gubernatorial hopeful Rick Lazio.
“I don’t think that she’s that kind of extremist that you would do that,” he added.
Giuliani, a GOP presidential candidate in 2008, spoke hours after Obama introduced Kagan, a New Yorker and former Harvard Law School dean, as his choice.
“I think the biggest issue she’s going to have is the military one..about the ROTC,” he said, referring to her wanting to ban military recruitment when she was Harvard because of the military’s ban on gays serving openly. “I don’t think she’s going to have too many legal issues to deal with, in part because she’s not been a judge” or practicing privately in cases.
“She’s got something the left is worried about, and something the right is worried about – the left is worried about her support for executive power and the right is worried about her on almost every other issue,” Giuliani said, chuckling.
He said while he hasn’t personally studied her record, “I’ve always been a big believer that the president gets to select and then the Senate rejects if the person is really unqualified.
“Because we elect a president, and we expect that he’s going to appoint somebody that fits his basic political philsophy, and she does not seem to me to be an extremist,” he said. “If he’d picked somebody that would be an extremist, then I think that would be much more of a battle.”
Asked whether Obama is drawing from the same rarified Ivy League pool for his picks, Giuliani – who was raised in Brooklyn and Long Island and went to Manhattan College and New York University law school – said it wasn’t fair to blame the Democratic president for that, since the other members of the court all have similar backgrounds.
“Sure, it would be better to have a Supreme Court that had a little more diversity with regard to educational background,” he said, but added , “They may all come from Harvard and Yale, but they seem like eight very different people.”
(Source: Politico)