Financial clusterfuck in Europe - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Financial clusterfuck in Europe

okay, so according to the press the greeks are about to apply for imf/eu-money in the next few hours. i guess most of you have been following the story, for those who didn't, here's the short version:

the greek government has been spending pretty recklessly over the course of the last, say, decades. it was okay for them to do so because getting more and more credit used to be fairly cheap. the recession was hard on the people, it was harder on governments though, especially the ones with huge spending. due to the fact that the greek economy more and more relied on tourism (hit the most) and lacks any sort of major industries as of now, the credit default swaps went up since 2009. that means they will have to pay higher interest rates for the bonds they sell.

people were pretty sure greece wouldn't be able to cope with its financials unless external experts would take care of the mess. so brussels and washington came up with an umbrella if things were to get worse.

well, they did. as per usual, greek officials had been blatantly lying about the deficit(revised from 12,7% to ~14% in 09) - and the market place is having a field day. german bankers have warned merkel that greece is bound to end up like hypo real estate, a german banking conglomerate that swallowed billions and billions of cash just like a black hole due to its hidden accounts.

if the greeks were to default, it would have quite an impact on western europe as well: banks in france (~70 billion euros) or germany (~45) hold most of the greek debt - which is obviously why sarkozy was pushing a hellas-friendly agenda for some time now and keeps trying to get berlin to pay.

so here we are with greek basically bankrupt. the worst thing is that other countries are likely to follow: portugal's credit default swaps have been rising steadily, spain might be even worse, even france is getting some heat - and last but not least, the "last resort's", germany's, interest rates are higher than ever (still very low, but nonetheless).

do you believe we're gonna get out of this any time soon? will we see a major default in the euro-zone? and what about the u.s. or the uk?

Last edited by Stensland : 12-09-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: crisis has broadened
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit crisis in Greece, others to follow...?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/52272434-4...44feab49a.html

Quote:
Greece seeks activation of EU/IMF aid
Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Over here in North America we don't care about stupid Europeans and their failures.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
country flag Machiavelli

Machiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Over here in North America we don't care about stupid Europeans and their failures.
We are lucky the smart americans and canadians are here to save the world if every european country ends up like Greece....
Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quite normal since you guys had no clue there was an actual world beyond the US boarder. September 11 helped you figure it out for sure
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
country flag Stensland

Quote:
i know this is meant to be ironic (to some extent), but since you bring up "north america" as a whole, check out california or illinois. those states aren't better off than greece, in fact, california seems to be in an even worse shape financially. after all, it's among the top ten states on the planet regarding the probability of a default, sitting among bankruptcy powerhouse argentina, the ukraine or iraq.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares? let Germany pay, you've gained the most from that shit euro no one else needs, and you've bought most of the cheap summer houses too, after nearly obliterating Greece during 2WW.

So now shut up and pay out.

Last night, darling, I lost my underwear
Sak Noel
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

It was never in doubt that someday the richer countries would have to pay for the Euro beggars...
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you USA for the GFC.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
country flag Stensland

http://preview.bloomberg.com/news/20...nce-daily.html

Quote:
Greece Should Be Allowed to Go Bankrupt, Mark Mobius Tells Finance Daily
today credit default swaps are beginning to reach other club med countries: caixa general de depositos (por) is up 12% , banco de sabadell is up 9% and banco pastor (both esp) is up 7%. oh, and fortis (bel) jumps 11% within ~ an hour. conflagration here we come...
Old 04-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
i know this is meant to be ironic (to some extent),
Well, I knew you would know. But it still generates funny replies from people like P. Antonius, who don't even recognise their own satirisation.

Next week I'm off to drive the West Coast from San Diego to Vancouver. I can report on the crisis first hand.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
Quite normal since you guys had no clue there was an actual world beyond the US boarder. September 11 helped you figure it out for sure
I'm Irish. I'm a ''boarder'' in Canada. The US is not involved.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you should take a good look at your own region before talking about any other countrys economic failures.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
Thank you USA for the GFC.
Why do they call it a GFC when Canada didn't take part?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
country flag Stensland

i don't get what GFC is supposed to mean. obviously it must be something ridiculously easy to get, so i feel kind of stupid.