French Open stays at Roland Garros - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #16
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roland Garros to lose French GS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster View Post
I never knew you were such a fan of the breakdancing genre Linda,
I'm full of surprises

Quote:
but I can see definite opportunities for a sequel tagline to advertise the new venue. "They took away his court and his stadium.... but they couldn't take his clay." With a suitably Spartan image of Nadal accompanying this brilliant slogan for maximum effect.
It said in the article it would take a few years for any change. Rafa's playing days will be long past.
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #17
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

If they moved it out of Paris or the greater Paris area, that would cause more outrage. In Melbourne, they had to move from Kooyong to the venue they have now.

Sjengster, Nadal would need Stepanek to teach him the moves though.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #18
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Versailles would certainly be a grandiloquent setting, and perfectly in tune with tennis' established image, of course.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #19
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
I'm full of surprises

It said in the article it would take a few years for any change. Rafa's playing days will be long past.
I see you preserved my initial suggestion of "clay", which I realised does lack a certain something when written in huge letters on a poster.

A full-length poster of Tomic perhaps, with the slogan "RG II: this one's worth staying up late for, Bernard!"? No, I am clutching at straws now.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #20
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

elessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Versailles would certainly be a grandiloquent setting, and perfectly in tune with tennis' established image, of course.
Versailles would still be a step down grandiloquentwise to Porte d'Auteuil
elessar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #21
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see you preserved my initial suggestion of "clay", which I realised does lack a certain something when written in huge letters on a poster.

A full-length poster of Tomic perhaps, with the slogan "RG II: this one's worth staying up late for, Bernard!"? No, I am clutching at straws now.
More likely a provocative Dimitrov blue steeling down the lens with the tagline "RG II: Watch Grigor Lose His Shirt in The Dirt."
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #22
country flag Sjengster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elessar View Post
Versailles would still be a step down grandiloquentwise to Porte d'Auteuil
Did I mean grandiloquent? I think I just meant grandiose, but my natural grandiloquence made me add some extra syllables. God, I'm on rare form tonight. If Federer somehow played late into his thirties he surely couldn't have any complaints there though, he could have fun visiting the palace while sporting his most regal blazer and matching manbag.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #23
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
1. Haven't won it enough
2. Played on clay

Wonder what else was on the list?

Anyway, if Rogi doesn't like it, RG's days are numbered.
Without defending him, your man was jointly responsible with him for the death of the other big Paris event.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #24
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

elessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond repute

I think the earliest it could happen would be 2016, I dare not hope Roger would still be playing

Just imagine how many king of clay jokes commies could do
Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #25
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elessar View Post
I think the earliest it could happen would be 2016, I dare not hope Roger would still be playing
You would just love that tenderly wouldn't you?

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #26
country flag Sjengster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Without defending him, your man was jointly responsible with him for the death of the other big Paris event.
Now there's something I hope will never happen again in the future, that top players will effectively be able to hold a tournament to ransom, but I'd say there's an excellent chance of it happening again when there are a couple of big box office stars in the next generation. Ironic really, Federer and Nadal did a lot to help preserve Monte Carlo's premier status, so what they gave to a French MS with one hand, they took with another.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #27
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

That ridiculousness still going on about Bercy
What exactly did they take from Bercy? They play whenever they're not injured or tanking exhausted and all they did was give their opinion of the court when asked about it by the TDs Seems unfair how everything gets blamed unto Roger

Now, Rafa I could see where you're coming from: he certainly got what he wanted with that pathetically slow, high bouncing court.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #28
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

No, Federer deserves as much as the blame as Nadal in that Bercy fiasco.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 AM   #29
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
Fuck the environmentalists. Expanding where it currently is would be less damaging than constructing a new complex.
How do you know? If there is a hullabaloo surrounding it from that aspect and a proposed solution is to move it, I would assume it is likely that moving is in some way desirable from that perspective.

As far as the proposed move goes in general, it would be a shame historically I suppose but at the same time change is necessary in sport and traditionalists will get over it with time.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #30
country flag tensyo

tensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=l_mac;9740676]1. Haven't won it enough
2. Played on clay

Wonder what else was on the list?

/QUOTE]

1. Did not win in 2005
2. Did not win in 2006
3. Did not win in 2007
4. Got hammered in 2008
5. 2009 Finally won! Let you off this year
6. 2010 - will see. If I don't win, move RG!
7. Unfair! Nadal allowed to participate
8. Unfair! Lefthanders allowed to participate
9. Unfair! Topspin is allowed
10. Nadal should only be allowed to participate with broken knees
11. Scheduling me in a late afternoon match when my eyesight is so poor in evening light
12, (maybe this year ) Unfair! Drawing Nadal in QF or SF
tensyo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote