Best songs to never reach number one on US or UK charts - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best songs to never reach number one on US or UK charts

I thought this would be an awesome idea for a thread.

Considering all the rubbish that makes number one on the charts today, this thread is to preserve the name of some great all time classics that never reached the number one spot on the two most prestegious charts in music, the US HOT 100 Billboard chart, and the UK singles chart.

My picks;

Dancing in the dark by Bruce Springsteen

Held the number 2 spot on the Billboard, how on earth did Springsteen never get a number 1? (exlcudes Manfred Manns cover of Blinded by the light).

Baba O Reilly by The Who

This epic from 1971 Whos Next is just an all time classic. Very deserving.

Heal The World by Michael Jackson

Held the number two spot for 5 weeks in the UK only being kept off number one by Whitney Houstons "I will always love you", which held number one for an epic nine weeks. Would surely have been a number one at any time. Didn't chart that well in the US as they went with Black or White for the number one single.

Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb

Pink Floyd did get their Number 1 from The Wall in "Another Brick in the wall", but it's a shame Pink Floyds singature song, this epic, never hit number one.

Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin

Theres nothing I need to say. If Queens "Bohemian Rhapsody" was number one for nine weeks in the UK, this song deserved to be Number one for just as long.

Radio Ga Ga by Queen

This massive single reached number two in the UK, revived the band for their epic Live Aid 85 set. For this alone it deserves to be there.

Thriller by Michael Jackson

The title track from the best selling album of all time from the greatest artist of all time never actually hit number one, that acolade went to Billie Jean and Beat it.

Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas

This song didn't even make the top 10 of either chart. Disgraceful.

Have you ever seen the rain by CCR

Only reached number 8 in the US.

Will You Be There by Michael Jackson

My favourite MJ song, and the favourate of many people I know. Granted, MJ had enough number ones, but this song is awesome.

Candle in the wind (1973) by Elton John

Reached 11 in the UK, and didn't chart in the US as they went with Bennie and the Jets instead which went to number 1. Given Eltons popularity in the US at that time, this would have gone to number one I think.

Can you feel the love tonight by Elton John

Believe it or not, this song never hit number one on either chart. I never liked it that much, but it was certainly popular enough.

Rebell Yell by Billy Idol

Despite it's play turnover, this song was an absolute flop on the charts.

Anything from Dark Side Of The Moon

One of the very best selling albums of all time should have had at least more than one top 20 single, I vote for Brain Damage.

We are the champions by Queen

Contrary to popular belief, this never hit number 1.

Walk of Life by Dire Straits

Dire Straits are one of the most under rated bands of all time IMO. This song reached number two in the UK. I liked So Far Away just as much, but it didn't fare quite so well on the charts.

Two Princes by Spin Doctors

I LOVED this song. Number three in the UK charts.

Dont Dream It's Over by Crowded House

Reached number two in the US, and the closest a Kiwi has ever come to topping either chart (exlcuding the lead singer of Manfred Manns Earth Band with the cover of the Springsteen song).

Layla by Derek and The Dominos

Re release after re release only got it to number four in the UK.

Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton

Was a number two on the Billboard.

My Way by Various Artists (Sinatra & Elvis especially)

Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads

Boys Are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy

Boys Of Summer - Don Henly

Thankfully DJ Sammy only hit number two with his cover to keep this epic on this list.

Feel free to add more of your own. Wikipedia is your friend, so check if your favourite song just missed out

en.wikipedia.org

I added a poll for the best of my choices.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance

Last edited by 2003 : 02-16-2010 at 10:26 AM.
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best songs to never reach number one on US or UK charts

Reaching number one is not a sign of quality. Au contraire, I'd say.

The list of good songs never to reach number one, or even hit the charts is endless.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Some of these were never released as singles.

Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post

Dancing in the dark by Bruce Springsteen

Held the number 2 spot on the Billboard, how on earth did Springsteen never get a number 1? (exlcudes Manfred Manns cover of Blinded by the light).
It is quite puzzling, especially considering that record (Born in the USA) is tied with other two as the only ones to put seven singles in the Top 10.

But like PR said, being number one is no sign of quality at all and the list is endless. A better idea would be to cite songs that never got to be really known despite being great.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet Jane by The Velvet Underground. One of the finest singles ever made & it barely even charted.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post
Reaching number one is not a sign of quality. Au contraire, I'd say
Stop talking out your ass.

Here is a list of number one hits from the Billboard charts in key years;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_of_1983_(U.S.)

Toto - Africa
Men At Work - Down Under
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (7 weeks!)
Beat it
Every Breath You Take - The Police (8 weeks!)
Islands in The Stream - Kenny Rogers & Dolly Farton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_of_1984_(U.S.)

Jump - Van Halen (5 weeks!)
Against All Odds - Phillip Collins
Time After Time - Cindi Lauper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_of_1992_(U.S.)

Black Or White - Michael Jackson (8 Weeks!)
Dont let sun go down on my ass - Elton John & George Michael
I will always love you - Titney Houston (14 weeks!)

The above are all some of the greatest songs ever written IMO.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Lambada by Kaoma.

Quote:
Liverpool FC need to return to the good old days when the players were born and bred locally. Dalglish, Keegan, McDermott, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Grobelaar, Toshack, Molby ........ or were they just the Chelsea of the 70's buying the best talent available in the market?
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

When Doves Cry and Raspberry Beret by Prince.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace

Last edited by VolandriFan : 02-20-2010 at 02:34 AM.
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
Stop talking out your ass.

Here is a list of number one hits from the Billboard charts in key years;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_of_1983_(U.S.)

Toto - Africa
Men At Work - Down Under
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (7 weeks!)
Beat it
Every Breath You Take - The Police (8 weeks!)
Islands in The Stream - Kenny Rogers & Dolly Farton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_of_1984_(U.S.)

Jump - Van Halen (5 weeks!)
Against All Odds - Phillip Collins
Time After Time - Cindi Lauper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_of_1992_(U.S.)

Black Or White - Michael Jackson (8 Weeks!)
Dont let sun go down on my ass - Elton John & George Michael
I will always love you - Titney Houston (14 weeks!)

The above are all some of the greatest songs ever written IMO.

I'll take the bait and give you all the Billboard Hot 100 number 1 hits in a random year. Well, not so random, I've picked 2003:

Eminem - Lose yourself
B2K ft. P Diddy - Bump bump bump
Jennifer Lopez ft LL Cool J - All I have
50 Cent - In da club
Sean Paul - Get busy
50 Cent ft. Nate Dogg - 21 questions
Clay Aiken - This is the night
Beyonce ft Jay-Z - Crazy in love
Nelly, P Diddy and Murphy Lee - Shake ya tailfeather
Beyonce ft Sean Paul - Baby boy
Ludacris - ft Shawnna - Stand up
Outkast - Hey ya

From this list I'll say Crazy in Love is a good pop hit. I've fond memories of Outkast too, but I wouldn't say Hey Ya was a particularly good song.

Now, let's list some songs from 2003 that didn't reach number 1, or weren't even charted:

White Stripes - Seven nation army
Placebo - The bitter end
Radiohead - There there
Radiohead - 2+2=5
Coldplay - Clocks
Coldplay - God put a smile upon your face
Muse - Time is running out
Muse - Stockholm Syndrome
Jet - Are you gonna be my girl
Goldfrapp - Train
Foo Fighters - Low
Audio Bullys - The things
3 Doors down - When I'm gone
Kashmir - Surfing the warm industry
Interpol - Say hello to angels
The Rasmus - In the shadows
Bruce Srpingsteen - Waiting on a sunny day

Since you're saying I'm the one talking out of my ass, you probably won't agree with me, but I'd rather put Radiohead, Muse or the Foo Fighters on then Sean Paul, Clay Aiken or P Diddy...

After 10 minutes of wikipedia in order to come up with this post, I can't help but conclude that 2003 was a prett shitty year. For music as well.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

Madonna's Frozen, I'll Remember, Express Yourself and Cherish. All no. 2 in the Hot 100

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post

After 10 minutes of wikipedia in order to come up with this post, I can't help but conclude that 2003 was a prett shitty year. For music as well.
disagreed, 2003 was the first year I started to download like crazy and I've listened a lot from that year
here are 20 very good albums from that year

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (although it's their 2nd weakest album)
The Rapture - Echoes
Manitoba (Caribeau) - Up in Flames
M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner
Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Four Tet - Rounds
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place
The Stokes - Room On Fire
TV on the Radio - Young Liars EP
Menomena - I Am The Fun Blame Monster
British Sea Power - The Decline Of...
Yeah Yeah Yeah - Fever to tell
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People
Metric - Old World Undergroud, Where are You Now?
Massive Attack - 100th Window
Blur - Think Tank
Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash

now, I'm not saying it's the best year of the decade (that would probably be 2000 or 2008) but it's not been such a bad year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote