2009 Off-Season Exhibitions: San Juan/Copa Argentina - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2009 Off-Season Exhibitions: San Juan/Copa Argentina

Perhaps it's a bit late to start a new thread, but I find it odd seeing so many match-related posts in the News and Articles section.

David plays Gaudio at 9pm Argentina time in the final, after defeating Massu in his first match.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Off-Season Exhibitions: San Juan/Copa Argentina

About David's match/performance against Massu:

That was really fun to watch. I think I had forgotten just how much I liked watching David play, and I didn't expect this one to be the one to remind me. He hit so many winners in this match.

What was impressive was how quickly he started off the blocks, so self-assured in his shotmaking, playing so aggressively and his timing was excellent as well, one of the main things that usually goes off after a long layoff. His returns were great right from the beginning, and so was his forehand. The trademark angles and accuracy on his groundstrokes were also there, and his serving was good. It looked like he knew exactly what he was doing and he was so focused as well. As the match went on, his backhand got better and better.

I particularly liked that cheeky backhand slice dropshot that he hit, and you know when he's throwing in a couple of serve-and-volleys here and there that he's feeling really creative. It was great to see him enjoying himself so much. I hope that continues over the course of the season.

His movement was a little cautious and he often went for broke on the run, but he pulled off amazing shots so many times, and was hitting with so much pace on the dead run. I think often it didn't look like he'd get there in time, then he would pull off a big shot, which I guess shows decent enough footwork.

It's hard to know what this match means because I think it's a different challenge playing consecutive matches over the course of the tournament, but in terms of shotmaking and groundstrokes, that part of his game was very good, and it was good to see him confident about his game already at such an early stage.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
country flag novanora

novanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Krystlel for the report, it looks quite positive, and good to know he still keeps what he is really good at with certain confidence in his match. Appreciate the stream recording in the video thread as well, will download later and watch that match.
novanora is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

The match with Moya is now on:

Go to

http://fenixtvc.com.ar/

Enter then click on "(Tenis) Video" on the left."

or Justin.tv has it if that doesn't work:

http://www.justin.tv/tenisarg
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

VAMOS, David!!!!!

Nalby defeated Moya in his first match at the Copa Argentia: 6-2, 6-4

Quick Observations:

-Nalby was tested by Moya much more than he was tested last week by Gaudio or Massu. Moya looked pretty sharp, and had some real heat on his ground strokes, especially in the 2nd set. This match was a good test, because both players played some really good tennis. The final score is a little misleading, as Nalby was down a break in the second set and broke Moya at 30-40 twice, once to get back on serve at 2-3 and then again at 5-4 on Moya's serve to win the match. So the second set was tight.

-It seemed like his first service percentage was an issue in the second set. The final match stats show 59%, but they showed the same percentage after the first set, so that needs to be confirmed.

-Nalby looked a little tired in this match because he had to work hard on most points. Moya came to play. However, he didn't look tentative in his movement. He seemed more focused and less cautious.

-He played really agressively. People noted that his forehand seems to have improved. I noticed that Moya lost quite a few points on agressive returns when he had to hit a second serve. Nalby took the final points of the match off second serve return winners.

Great performance against a player that looked pretty sharp too! There we're several rallies in the second set that brought the crowd to their feet. On one, Nalby saved a smash by Moya and ended up nailing a two-handed backhand up the line. On the other rally, he had to come in to the net and hit a beautiful angled volley passing shot that Moya actually retrieved and then went back to the baseline to win a fantastic rally that displayed his volley touch, and sharp baseline groundies. There was some really nice tennis played in this match.

The final stats:

Last edited by Nolby : 12-19-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
country flag krystlel

Yeah, seems like pretty much a common consensus that David's forehand has been very good lately. He's been very aggressive with it anyway, more so than usual and pulling it off. I thought Moya was decent, but not great, a little bit error-prone. I mean, it wasn't like the match against Massu where it looked like Massu had nowhere near enough pace or accuracy on his groundstrokes to even trouble David.

There were some fun rallies in the second set, though it felt like they were prolonging the points longer than necessary for entertainment purposes. I really liked that backhand down-the-line winner, and the reaction from David afterwards.

I thought his movement was better this time, or at least his shot selection on the run was not as reckless as it was against Massu. He seemed very smooth/effortless even if not extremely quick. This time around, he didn't look rusty at all, at least not to me. A couple of matches in, and David has already found his range - but the next test will be his competitive rustiness, how he plays under pressure.

It's been a while since I've resorted to watching blurry live streams, and it was disappointing that the quality wasn't any better. For me, it's a bit hard to appreciate winners and good shots when I have to wait for a call (or non-call) to see whether a shot went in or not. Considering that David likes to hit close to the lines and doesn't usually miss by large distances, this makes it even more annoying (if that's the appropriate word).
Old 12-19-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
Yeah, seems like pretty much a common consensus that David's forehand has been very good lately. He's been very aggressive with it anyway, more so than usual and pulling it off. I thought Moya was decent, but not great, a little bit error-prone. I mean, it wasn't like the match against Massu where it looked like Massu had nowhere near enough pace or accuracy on his groundstrokes to even trouble David.

There were some fun rallies in the second set, though it felt like they were prolonging the points longer than necessary for entertainment purposes. I really liked that backhand down-the-line winner, and the reaction from David afterwards.

I thought his movement was better this time, or at least his shot selection on the run was not as reckless as it was against Massu. He seemed very smooth/effortless even if not extremely quick. This time around, he didn't look rusty at all, at least not to me. A couple of matches in, and David has already found his range - but the next test will be his competitive rustiness, how he plays under pressure.

It's been a while since I've resorted to watching blurry live streams, and it was disappointing that the quality wasn't any better. For me, it's a bit hard to appreciate winners and good shots when I have to wait for a call (or non-call) to see whether a shot went in or not. Considering that David likes to hit close to the lines and doesn't usually miss by large distances, this makes it even more annoying (if that's the appropriate word).
Yea, I forgot to point out that the screen shot for the final stats that I used was NOT a paint shop mess up on my part. That is actually the quality of the stream that we were getting. I'm used to having 20-40 vision (not bad enough for glasses, but not sharp either), so the match played out like a Monet painting which is my typical spectator reality. Although, I have good vision up close, so that was one of blurriest streams I've ever seen. We were spoiled with the clarity of the one we got last Saturday from San Juan.

Thanks again for that great video, Krystlel! I'm glad TYC Sports did the first match back instead of Desportes.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #8
country flag krystlel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodal View Post
Yea, I forgot to point out that the screen shot for the final stats that I used was NOT a paint shop mess up on my part. That is actually the quality of the stream that we were getting. I'm used to having 20-40 vision (not bad enough for glasses, but not sharp either), so the match played out like a Monet painting which is my typical spectator reality. Although, I have good vision up close, so that was one of blurriest streams I've ever seen. We were spoiled with the clarity of the one we got last Saturday from San Juan.

Thanks again for that great video, Krystlel! I'm glad TYC Sports did the first match back instead of Desportes.
I think it was the stream rather than the channel. It was strange that the quality was different considering it was the same person (or group) doing it.

My vision is worse and I'm not wearing glasses at the moment (waiting for them to arrive). Still I'd like to think that I can still see things that don't involve text well enough...
Old 12-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
I think it was the stream rather than the channel. It was strange that the quality was different considering it was the same person (or group) doing it.

My vision is worse and I'm not wearing glasses at the moment (waiting for them to arrive). Still I'd like to think that I can still see things that don't involve text well enough...
I have a pair of glasses, but I typically only use them for night driving. I've gotten used to seeing the world as slightly blurry as a kid and my vision has stayed about the same, although I am not far-sighted.

The same group was doing it? Very strange, but I watched a little of the Desportes news after the match, and I think the stream still looked blurry. I checked the stream on both the Justin tv site and http://fenixtvc.com.ar/ to see if I could get a sharper image, but they both were identical. Tamar put up a video clip of one of the points on YouTube:

Also, someone anonymously uploaded the match for downloading:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DTPV9V8E

I guess we all know Joolz's site has more goodies.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

All matches at the Copa Argentina have been cancelled for the day, due to bad weather.

Revised schedule for tomorrow, i.e. Sunday:

David vs Gaudio
12pm local

fb. Monaco vs Baghdatis

8pm local - Final
Joolz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good thing to hang out at Vamos David (click link above) to get live streams. We got lucky with another cool visitor giving us the live stream to the Nalby-Gaudio match:

http://horaciotv.ucoz.com/index/0-5

Gaudio just won the first set 6-3. There were 6 breaks of serve in the first set. From the little I've been able to see, David's return of serve wasn't too sharp and Gaudio had repeated problems on his ball toss. It may be a little windy, but I guess the real problem is intense heat.

Last edited by Nolby : 12-20-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Wow! I guess everyone was expecting someone else to post this news. Surprised there is no discussion on it.

David won the Copa Argentina yesterday, defeating an in-form Marcos Baghdatis 6-4, 6-4. This victory was to me the most impressive of the matches he has won since coming back from hip surgery and the seven month recovery, as Baggy has recently healed from his own injuries and was riding a hot streak. Prior to this match, Marcos had won back to back titles at the end of October at the Tashkent Challenger, and then he won his third ATP World Tour title at the Stockholm Open, and that launched his ranking from #87 back to #41.

Baggy had fallen as lows as #151 following a knee injury that kept him out of competition through Wimbledon. Prior to that success at the end of the season, he had won two ATP Challenger Tour titles at Vancouver and St. Remy, and then looked extremely sharp pushing No. 2 Rafael Nadal to three close sets in Beijing.

I was following his run at Stockholm, because Robin Soderling was playing his fourth straight tournament in as many weeks hoping to make the Elite Eight and a place in the London WTFs. Robin made the semis and was due to play Marcos, but that was the match where he pulled out and stopped playing tennis for several weeks (missing the Valencia ATP500) due to tennis elbow. However, to my recollection, Marcos never dropped a set in winning the Stockholm title. He looked impressive, and in my eyes is back in the mix.

At the Copa Argentina, Marcos routed World No 11 Fernando Gonazalez 6-2, 6-2 and then defeated Juan Monaco 7-6, 7-5 on Sunday afternoon. This basically meant that Marcos had not lost a set, let alone a match since mid October. I fully expected him to dominate David, maybe giving David his first bad loss since his return. David had already incurred his first loss since his return earlier in the day to Gaston Gaudio, 3-6, 7-5, 4-6, and this did not leave me feeling very optimistic although he had won his three previous matches against Massu, Gaudio (in San Juan) and Moya. But the Gaudio/Nalby match was played in extremely hot and humid conditions, causing a bottle of Santa Julia ( ) to explode during the match. The night conditions were obviously more favorable to his game.

Ok, I've written the build up as to why I didn't think he would win this match and how big this win really is. David deafeated Baghdatis 6-4, 6-4 and looked extremely sharp. Check out Vamos David for news on the actual match itself along with more pictures and a great video summation.

This has been simply unreal how well he has played so far since he has returned. Unbelievable that he was on crutches just several months ago.

Last edited by Nolby : 12-21-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

David Nalbandian, King of Buenos Aires
Published by Sebas on 12/21/2009 Monday December 21, 2009
Deportes

''The 'King David'' yet again
David Nalbandian prevailed once again in a 6-4, 6-4 win over Marcos Bagdatis in the finals of the Copa Argentina. In this exhibition tournament, the Cordovan returned to tennis after eight months of inactivity. Earlier, he had lost to Gaudio in the final Group 1, but got into the finals based on a 3-2 advantage in number of sets won in the round robin event.

Nalbandian offered glimpses of his best tennis in a spirited contest that displayed both ups and downs.

The Córdoban had fallen prior to Gaston Gaudio 6-3, 5-7 and 6-4, but also qualified because he only needed to win one set in order to become a finalist.

In turn, Baghdatis beat Juan Monaco 7-6 7-5 on Sunday and defeated Fernando Gonzalez 6-2, 6-2 on Thursday.

Both meetings for the semifinals on Saturday had been suspended due to rains in Buenos Aires and its surroundings, so that today these players had to play two matches apiece.

In this final Nalbandian started playing with determination and focus, but then the match began to get more difficult as he started hitting some unforced errors.

"At one point I would play a good game, at another point less so, but I'm finding that is why this tournament has been so helpful," admitted the native Argentine tennis player.

After taking a 3-1 lead, Baghdatis fought back to even the match at 3-3 in the first set and gained much confidence, while Nalbandian started to make some errors.

But this time, David put those uncertainties aside and the same thing began to happen to the Cypriot's serve when he had the lead and that is when he suffered the second break in that set. As a result of unforced errors, the match got close, and at times lagging, despite the good intentions of the players, who also cited fatigue, the result of having to deal with a semifinal and a final on the same day.

Despite the mistakes, there were some remarkable quality shots, as the battle against Baghdatis picked up with the first set at 5-4, after the Argentine had returned to be two points from taking the first set. But Nalbandian stiffened his resolve when the last game got tight and won the first set by 6-4.

Already in the second set, the symptoms of fatigue were evident in the native Cypriot in the first game and at that moment he seemed about to become easy prey to Nalbandian, but Baghdatis fought to recover and so the final was won on emotion.

With Nalbandian up a break and serving at 5-4, the tension rose until a bad Baghdatis return of serve gave David a Match point, but the Argentine had to keep fighting and appealing to his best weapons until he could take the match by a double 6-4.

Nalbandian, currently #64 in the world, had to fight to defeat a rival who is ranked 42, and finally reached the goal of being the champion.

On his return to the court, three-time champion David Nalbandian was dedicated to the Peugeot Argentina Tennis Cup also cash delivery-as usual-a car brand of the lion. David is a known lover of cars and this year took the latest release of the mark in the country, the Peugeot 308 CC.

Just like lasy year, almost as a ritual, he pushed friends to the convertible for the photo but when taking the microphone, the Cordoban thanked the crowd and then gave a complaint to Peugeot: "Let's see if this year I I give because I always give a 206.
Thus, Nalbandian will sponsor a public charity to deliver the beautiful and exclusive local car whose price is $179,000 .

Report Jorge Parodi
Old 12-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
country flag tennisace

tennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Nalby, you're the best and you'll defeat Fed and Nadal in 2010. ..
tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote