2009 News/Schedule Thread - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #136
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 News/Schedule Thread

To dear old Dad.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bag/index.html

What's your best tennis memory from 2009? --Kate C., New York

JON WERTHEIM: I guess the predictable candidates come to mind. Federer -- a few months removed from sobbing in defeat, his character and toughness questioned -- winning the French Open and then Wimbledon, securing his claims to the GOAT. Kim Clijsters' comeback was a sight for sore eyes. I still contend that Williams-Williams is among the most underrated stories and seeing Serena and Venus in still another major final never gets old for me. Nadal ending a shaky summer and fall by leading Spain to another Davis Cup was a nice coda to the (excessively long) season.

Here's a less obvious one. I'm watching Andy Roddick play John Isner during the middle weekend of the U.S. Open. I turn around and see a vaguely familiar face. Eventually I realize that it's Jerry Roddick. He's sitting in the stands, far from the players' box, where television cameras are unlikely to find him. Some context here: In his previous Grand Slam, Andy Roddick reached the Wimbledon final and, of course, lost heartbreakingly to Federer in the fifth set. As the match progresses, Jerry Roddick is a statue. His facial expression doesn't change. There's no outward emotion. No cheering and scowls over unforced errors or bad line calls. The match goes to a fifth set. Then a tiebreaker. Isner dials in his serves and -- just like that -- Roddick is eliminated from another Grand Slam in a five-setter, a few points making all the difference. You can only imagine what it must be like watching your son lose like this yet again. But, as thousands of fans go nuts, Jerry Roddick grimaces a tiny bit, shakes his head as if to say, win-some, lose-some, and leaves his seat and walks onto the concourse unnoticed, his head buried in a baseball cap but held high. In a sport (culture at large?) that doesn't always do restraint and dignity real well, I was struck by this.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #137
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 2009 News/Schedule Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post

One in particular that has stuck with me was receiving a thank-you note from a young student who was excited for the first day of school because it would be the first time he’d ever entered a classroom wearing new clothes and shoes. It did wonders for his self-esteem.
That one really got me.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #138
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 News/Schedule Thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...ame=espntennis

More answers than questions for Roddick
Thursday, December 10, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry
Posted by Ravi Ubha, ESPN.com

Andy Roddick didn't know what to expect this season. Who could blame him?

In 2008, the Texan succumbed in an ill-tempered third-round encounter at the Australian Open, watching his opponent hit 100 winners. He skipped the French Open thanks to a shoulder injury and fell in an ugly second-round match at Wimbledon, his shoulder and neck still wreaking havoc. His seemingly ideal partnership with Jimmy Connors ended, with Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe filling in as coach at the U.S. Open on an emergency basis.

But Roddick turned things around in 2009.

Teaming up with the much-respected Larry Stefanki, he lost 15 pounds and subsequently surpassed or matched personal bests at the campaign's first three majors. Roddick almost triumphed at Wimbledon, the major he craves, going toe-to-toe with Roger Federer in the finale. Unfortunately for the 27-year-old, he was on the wrong end of a 16-14 score in the fifth set.

Off the court, Roddick broke a few hearts by marrying swimsuit model Brooklyn Decker, beating Federer to the altar.

Roddick chatted with ESPN.com in London, where a knee injury left the long-standing U.S. No. 1 as a spectator at the prestigious World Tour Finals.

ESPN.com: Andy, what pleased you most about 2009?

Roddick: There were a lot of good aspects. I felt like I had a better movement dynamic, and I had better consistency. I don't think I lost to a player outside the top 15 or 20 until Cincinnati, so that was good progress. [Roddick actually lost to Radek Stepanek, then No. 21, in San Jose in February.] Every year you want a chance to win a Slam, and I certainly put myself into that position this year. Hopefully I'll be able to take that one step further.

ESPN.com: How much more pleased are you considering you were thinking of retiring at about this time last year?

Roddick: I don't know if it was so much quitting as wondering if the best was far behind me. It's satisfying. At this point last year there were a lot more questions for me than answers. I think there are fewer questions this year. But that being said, I would like to build on this year, not look back as kind of setting the pace.

ESPN.com: Andre Agassi said in his autobiography his wife and child made it easier to digest losses. No kids yet, but can you relate to that now that you're married?

Roddick: I don't know. I think I've always had a decent perspective on wins and losses on the tennis court. They hurt, but my worst day is a lot of people's good day. I don't think I've ever been shortsighted as far as that goes, but yeah, I'm certainly very happy away from the court, and I don't see how that can do anything but help.

ESPN.com: Leading Roger 6-2 in the second-set tiebreaker at Wimbledon, already up a set, did any part of you think, "I'm finally gonna win this thing"?

Roddick: No, because at two sets up against Roger, there's still a long way to go. I think going into the final you think to yourself, "This could happen." But honestly, I don't look back at it and think of that 'breaker. There was one point that was sloppily played, and that was about it. I put first serves in, I put first returns in, and that's what you want to do in that situation.

ESPN.com: The last three or four games it looked like your hip was really bothering you. [Roddick skipped the Davis Cup semifinals the following week, citing the hip.] How much was it a factor?

Roddick: It was fine. Adrenaline does a lot of crazy things, and I was aware I was probably going to feel it the next day, but throughout the finish of the match, it was fine.

ESPN.com: What's on tap this offseason, once the knee is sorted?

Roddick: I had a really good offseason last year, as far as getting in shape and being productive. I want to do more than that this year. We have a pretty detailed schedule in place with what we call a happy mixture of tennis and strength work and fitness. We'll try to improve upon last year.

ESPN.com: What's your take on 2010?

Roddick: I'm a lot more optimistic than I was last year. I was training last year and hoping, as opposed to this year, where there's less hope and more knowing. That's a good thing. I'm just a lot more confident than I was this time last year.

ESPN.com: What's your Davis Cup status for next year? Are you back for sure, or will you take it as it comes?

Roddick: I think we'll take it as it happens. Right now, my priority is making sure this knee is OK. I want to get through Australia, and obviously [the knee] gives me something else to think about. I've always been loyal to Davis Cup, and I'm hopeful I can make it happen.

ESPN.com: You're not much into hypotheticals, but if Davis Cup was held next week, should Sam Querrey get the nod ahead of James Blake?

Roddick: That's not what I do. Sam is recovering from an arm injury. James didn't have his best year, but I'm sure he's looking to turn it around. There are a lot of questions, and with each person you mentioned [Roddick includes himself], there are a lot of questions, so that's not my job on the team.

ESPN.com: Will we see you on court anytime without the cap?

Roddick: That's not something I've spent three seconds of my life thinking about.

ESPN.com: You're an avid coffee drinker. What's the most you had to drink in a day?

Roddick: I gotta be at about five or six today. I've been fighting the jet lag trying to stay awake all day.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote