Which of these things do you think limit freedoms the most? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of the following do you consider to be the most limiting in terms of freedom?

Indoctrination 3 25.00%
Government 3 25.00%
Societal Norms 3 25.00%
Education 1 8.33%
Coorporations 1 8.33%
Hierarchies 0 0%
Laws 0 0%
Other (please state) 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which of these things do you think limit freedoms the most?

Define freedom.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #17
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

centralised low-performing education system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
It's even more important to note that the meaning of freedom is completely relative to the user.
freedom of thought, that is it.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Define freedom.
Not being restricted nor punished nor forced into doing (or not doing) something you disagree with.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #19
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

governmental religion

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
governmental religion
Aye, it is a very important issue.

Governance, and religious views ought to be seperate for the simple matter that many people simply do not believe in certain aspects, or all of religion.

Either way, it seems to me most governments ought to be in control of the people, and thus enact a true democracy, not a system in which you vote for a person to represent you.

It may well be that you agree with 60-70% of what the person you are voting for says, but regardless the remaining 30-40% or more is still a big gap in opinion.

These systems are falsely called Democracies, when in fact, by definition they are a Republic.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #21
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Not being restricted nor punished nor forced into doing (or not doing) something you disagree with.
coping with more demanding situations, freedom is the readiness to recognise ability and re-consider taken-for-granted ideas.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #22
country flag Pfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
coping with more demanding situations, freedom is the readiness to recognise ability and re-consider taken-for-granted ideas.
Sure, that's a valid definition.

Still, Jose does bring up an interesting point, but ultimately one that is really no too important, because I think we all know, in essence what "freedom" is.

Same goes with other words like "goodness", "evil","slavery" and so on.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #23
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Either way, it seems to me most governments ought to be in control of the people, and thus enact a true democracy, not a system in which you vote for a person to represent you.
Under the current economic structure in the world, where we are all under the influence of scarcity, this is an impossibility. A possible future where abundance is prevalent we might again settle down into small communities run by direct democracy. This however would give us more problems as well, as there would be no ultimate constitution, unless you fall under some kind of federal system - but then again the democracy will not be direct.
Garson007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote