Serena fined, put on probation for US Open debacle - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Serena fined, put on probation for US Open debacle

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...a.html?_r=1&hp
Quote:
November 30, 2009

Serena Williams Fined, on Probation for Tirade

By REUTERS
Filed at 9:55 a.m. ET
LONDON (Reuters) - World number one Serena Williams has been fined $175,000 and put on probation for two years for her foul-mouthed tirade at the U.S. Open, the Grand Slam Committee said on Monday.
The committee said a further major offence at a grand slam in the next two years would see her suspended from the U.S. Open in 2010, 2011 or 2012. The fine will be reduced to $82,500 if she commits no further major offence through 2011.
"On 9 November 2009, the Grand Slam Committee administrator determined Serena Williams had committed the grand slam major offence of aggravated behavior for her misconduct at the 2009 U.S. Open," the committee said in a statement.
The committee, who are responsible for organizing the four grand slam events, met on Saturday at the World Tour Finals in London to discuss administrator Bill Babcock's recommended punishment.
Williams's outburst was prompted by an incident in her semi-final against eventual champion Kim Clijsters at Flushing Meadow in September.
Trailing 4-6 5-6 15-30, Williams launched into a second serve but the line judge called her for a foot-fault, meaning the American had served a double-fault to go match point down.
Astounded by the verdict, Williams launched into an expletive-laced rant at the official. She waved her racket in the lineswoman's direction and then shook a ball in her clenched fist as she threatened to "shove it down" her throat.
SECOND VIOLATION
Having already received a warning earlier in the match for smashing a racket, Williams was handed an automatic point penalty for a second violation which abruptly ended the match, giving Belgian Clijsters a 6-4 7-5 victory.
Organizers fined her $10,500, the biggest given to a female player since records began in 1990, at the end of the tournament for her unsportsmanlike behavior.
Williams's $175,000 fine includes the $10,500 penalty she has already received.
The 11-times grand slam champion issued a statement on the day of the incident apologizing for her behavior, saying she had "handled the situation poorly" although she declined to apologize directly to the line judge.
WTA Tour chief Stacey Allaster said at the time that the American's conduct had been "inappropriate and unprofessional" while men's number one Roger Federer said it left a "sour taste for everyone."
Such was the fall-out that an automatic ban, possibly even from January's Australian Open, a grand slam she won this year, had been an option.
The only precedent for a player being banned from a grand slam event was when American Jeff Tarango walked off during a match at Wimbledon in 1995 before launching into a verbal attack when he accused umpire Bruno Rebeuh of being corrupt.
Tarango was banned from Wimbledon in 1996.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serena fined, put on probation for US Open debacle

No one cares? ...

ITF acting on $-motivations to keep the big names in. Had this been a #50 ranked player, it would have been a ban! But I love the Swilliams, so I am glad she's been probationed only.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
country flag Byrd

Byrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares it's WTA, doesn't even deserve to be in NT, farcical tennis at it's best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhaych View Post
Nadal is more conservative than Margaret Thatcher.
^^QFT

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."-Pat Rafter silencing the Nadull fanboys
Byrd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculous that they didn't suspend her. I don't see how it's was any less bad than Klein's racist escapade, for which he received six months.
oranges is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

they should have banned her imo
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

the fine is pathetic, liking the suspended ban though.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
country flag MJ angel

MJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond reputeMJ angel has a reputation beyond repute

The fine is fair and even too big for the ridiculous incident ...get over it..!
MJ angel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ angel View Post
I so knew you would post here. And post this.
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
country flag AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond reputeAlteredEgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ angel View Post
That fine is ridiculious. Good thing Serena made over $6.7 million in prize money alone last year, And that doesn't include cash from appearance fees or endorsement contracts. I'd like to know how the ITF is going to use that fine money. Hope it isn't being used to fatten their own pockets. It should go to some sort of charity
AlteredEgo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
country flag bhathiya9999

bhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Serena suspended 3 years from us opens

Serena Williams has been fined and given a suspended three-year ban from the US Open for her tirade at a line judge at Flushing Meadows.
bhathiya9999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serena suspended 3 years from us opens

3 years probation right?

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

She's only banned if she misbehaves again. Follow quote from here.

Quote:
Babcock confirmed that Serena acted outrageously and violated the 'major offense' rule for aggravated behavior. For that, she was fined 82,500 dollars, and was also given a 3-year suspended ban from Grand Slam events. The 3-year suspended ban means that Serena will have to be on her best behavior till 2011 to avoid incurring the ban. Additionally, her fine will be double to $175,000 if she breaches the 'major offense' rule in any Grand Slam event till 2011.
I'm glad she got a reasonably sized fine now (I know it is still nothing for how much she earns).
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
country flag MurrayFan1

MurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond repute

Pathetic. They should have just cut her out of next year's USO, not fined her and kept it as that.

It's pointless fining her, as she coud piss money away if she wanted to.

READING FC

MurrayFan1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Read properly mate.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

www.wtaworld.com