The poker thread - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #121
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The poker thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNey On My MiNd View Post
couldnt agree more, thats a perfect HSP lineup full of aggressive gamblers, i might even add Gus into the mix, also i would like them to play a lot more PLO since this is already the most played game online and generates just so much more action

Doyle is annoying, Phil is more interested in the Tv time and Daniel just talks too damn much and really played awful on almost every HSP season losing a ton..
Gus would certainly fit such a lineup, indeed, though he tends to tighten up and gets owned when he faces some good LAG players. I'd rather pick a sick guy such as Minieri instead (if he's not playing scared money).

PLO is certainly more fun due to the bigger action, but not sure it'd really fit a TV show... Variance is also bigger than in NLHE.

Daniel got some set up/tough beats in the first HSP seasons (vs Gus and Lindgren) but got totally pwned by the internet players in the recent seasons...

It's amazing that Doyle has been a winner from all HSP seasons so far, playing his weak passive game... Ok, big papa can read, I'll give him that...
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #122
country flag SwiSha

SwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
Gus would certainly fit such a lineup, indeed, though he tends to tighten up and gets owned when he faces some good LAG players. I'd rather pick a sick guy such as Minieri instead (if he's not playing scared money).

PLO is certainly more fun due to the bigger action, but not sure it'd really fit a TV show... Variance is also bigger than in NLHE.

Daniel got some set up/tough beats in the first HSP seasons (vs Gus and Lindgren) but got totally pwned by the internet players in the recent seasons...

It's amazing that Doyle has been a winner from all HSP seasons so far, playing his weak passive game... Ok, big papa can read, I'll give him that...
Minieri is a sick guy true that, but just like you mentioned you cant play scared money against these guys

they actually played PLO in the televised Aussie Millions Cash game show and HU between Dwan and Antonius, I think it went pretty good

Negranus had a lot of bad beats in the first 2 seasons thats true, but his constant talk and i am so funny attitude didnt help him at all the last 2 seasons where just got owned( his talk and bad play against Benyamines quads in particular)

Brunson is just so damn boring, tight and complains as much as anyone at the table... really annoys me
SwiSha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #123
country flag SwiSha

SwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond reputeSwiSha has a reputation beyond repute

Phil Ivey wins Bracelet number 2 this year!!!!!!!

easily won couple of mills on sidebets yet again

G O A T
Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #124
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNey On My MiNd View Post
Phil Ivey wins Bracelet number 2 this year!!!!!!!

easily won couple of mills on sidebets yet again

G O A T
Well, Ivey is great, no doubt, but if all it took was winning most bracelets to claim who's GOAT, then I guess Hellmuth woud be it

Ivey played and still plays a shitload of WSOP events every year, that surely increases the odds to win some bracelets... Most of the internet young guns don't bother with tournaments, still crush those " WSOP legends" any time they sit at the same nosebleed table...

What's impressive with Ivey is that he manages to be great at both, cash games and tournaments, even though he's not the best at either. And he owns at most games (very useful when you sit at juicy Bobby's room where they play mixed games).
Old 06-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #125
country flag SwiSha

by no means do i define Iveys greatness by winning bracelets, that GOAT statement is beyond the WSOP,actually i dont rate the WSOP too much, Ivey wouldnt even be motivated enough to play the entire WSOP without his sidebet action

I agree about his versatility, he can do it all, kill in cash games and win every tournament of every form out there

the thing that impresses me the most about him, that over a time he gets a read on every player out there, and once that happens there is no stopping him...
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #126
♥ eve ♥

PA getting owned by Durrr lately on their HU4rolls challenge he was up 4M$ in April and now he's short of 500k$... This Durrr is such an animal

Oh, and good for poker that Ivey made the WSOP ME final table, even though he's short stack and has close to no chance to win it, it will be good for the poker image anyway.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #127
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Alright the November Nine play the final table tommorrow. It will come on TV Tuesday so I will remain spoiler free until then.

Here the table with chip counts:
1. Darvin Moon 59,770,000
2. Eric Buchman 36,300,000
3. Steven Begleiter 28,195,000
4. Jeff Shulman 20,510,000
5. Joseph Cada 13,620,000
6. Kevin Schaffel 13,080,000
7. Antoine Saout 10,200,000
8. Phil Ivey 10,100,000
9. James Akenhead 5,760,000

Can superstar Phil Ivey take this? Can Darvin Moon take a hold of the table with the big stack or will he pull a Philip Hilm of 2007 and go from chip leader to 1st out the door? Can established pro Jeff Shulman win it?

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #128

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

I am very disapointed with the winner Joe Cada. ESPN's coverage was good and they showed a lot of good hands. But once Ivey went out in 7th the whole broadcast turned into all in wars. Cada got lucky so many times. He should have went out in 6th after pushing with 3s against Shulman's Jacks. Cada was probably one of the worst players at that table and yet he walks away with the title.

This goes to show why a pro will not win anytime soon unless they change their approach. Both Ivey and Shulman played extremely conservative and they waited too long. Like Cunningham in 2006. The pros know they are the best at the table but they pride themselves too much on that and they do not play aggressively like the others do.

In 2004: Fossilman impressed with his domination of the table
In 2005: Hachem bided his time and went from the bottom to top impressively
In 2006: Gold produced probably the most impressive performance. His chip stack just continued to swell and he never had a misstep at the final table.
In 2007: Yang started 2nd to last on chips and got chips early. Then grabbed the table by the straps and dominated with aggresive play. Plus he completely owned Hilm who went into the table as the chip leader.
In 2008: Eastgate played tight for a long time and waited till the table was down to 5 to start making his move.

In 2009: Cada was not anywhere near the best. He made a lot of bad decisions and got lucky.

Ivey and Shulman were the best at the table, but they played to tightly to win. The player who played the best at this year's table was Sauot. Sauot played very well, making good reads after staring from the bottom. He also bluffed Ivey off of a hand in there. He got a sucker punch from Cada when 3 were left that ultimately was his crippling blow. Darvin Moon also played pretty poorly. Making way too many pre flop pushes. Steve Begleiter deserves and honorable mention as well, he played well too.

But I guess this is qhat TV does. The amount of hands shown was very few compared to the very many played. From what they showed me Cada should not have won.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #129
♥ eve ♥

WSOP tournies are "LOL donkament" jokes anyway...
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #130

why? They are very large tournaments that have a lot of money on the line

Old 11-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #131
♥ eve ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
why? They are very large tournaments that have a lot of money on the line
There's (almost) only journeymen winning those tournies with such huge fields... Luck is way too much a factor, the best poker players make money in ring games and play tournies more for fun.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #132

I hear ya. But still making it to the final table, you had to have some luck but you always had to play some seriously good poker.

"Amateurs don't realize how much skill is involved and pros forget how much luck is involved."

Old 11-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #133
♥ eve ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
I hear ya. But still making it to the final table, you had to have some luck but you always had to play some seriously good poker.
There have been some main event winners that just couldn't play the game... Take a Moneymaker for instance, pretty sure any random fish/sucker would have done just as well as him running that hot the whole tourney...

Quote:
"Amateurs don't realize how much skill is involved and pros forget how much luck is involved."
That is a good (and true) quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
There have been some main event winners that just couldn't play the game... Take a Moneymaker for instance, pretty sure any random fish/sucker would have done just as well as him running that hot the whole tourney...
That's true. Moneymaker,Varkonyi,Gold and Yang are all pretty poor players now.

Hachem,Fossilman and Eastgate have proved themselves as serious players lately.

Like I said the best player dosne't always win. This year's final table the best player was Saout(based on their performance at the table). I also think Demidov(2008 runenr up) and Kravchenko(2007 4th) are seriously good players.

Also everyone needs to perish the Ivey is the geratest of all time talk. He still has some work to do to achieve that title.

Also Layne Flack and John Juanda are severely underrated players.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #135
♥ eve ♥

Saout is actually a journeyman, I think he took on poker only 2 years ago, playing a few hours a week online, just like millions of kids...

As for Ivey, he's definitely amongst the greatest, you can't make that much cash on pure luck... and every fellow pro praise him for a reason...