Do The Mods Think They're Gods? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #61
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do The Mods Think They're Gods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post

It wasn't really an important thread topic to start with.

And counting to 1,000,000 in increments of one is?

Maybe you meant the thread was of no importance to you. And that may have been what PP was thinking.

Namely: a terrorist attack within the US is not the kind of thing we little, fun-loving MTFers should be concerned about. Better to think of the bigger issues, like Leyton Hewitt's dick size.

Last edited by buddyholly : 11-16-2009 at 09:13 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #62
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Namely: a terrorist attack within the US is not the kind of thing we little, fun-loving MTFers should be concerned about. Better to think of the bigger issues, like Leyton Hewitt's dick size.
Well, to be fair this is a tennis forum, and most people come here to talk tennis, unlike you.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #63
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
dude it's totally bogus that your thread got deleted but why do you think the ft. hood shooting is more appropriate for this forum than lleyton hewitt's dick? i'm guessing there are a bazillion websites/message boards/etc. out there where people are engaged in vigorous discussion of the ft. hood attack but this just doesn't happen to be one of them (in part precisely because it is one of few relatively few places where lleyton hewitt's dick size has any relevance). I wouldn't really expect to find a discussion of Ft. Hood on a cooking/fly-fishing/model railroad/derek jeter website either.

Also after wasting an embarrassing amount of my valuable time reading impassioned and terrifying evaluations of tennis player's girlfriends, I don't understand why you're so determined and eager to discuss anything of an even remotely serious or important nature with anyone on MTF.

And just cuz it's not a hot topic on MTF doesn't mean nobody here cares about it. There are lots of places, in The Real World and on the internets, where people discuss things that concern them, and this is the place to be if you are really concerned that Rafael Nadal's hideously ugly shorts are having a negative effect on his tennis.
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #64
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think that was the point, initially. Your complaint and starting point of the the thread was that MTFers take more of an interest in the suicide of a German goalkeeper than in a US army psychiatrist shooting 13 people.

I'd just like to say that it's common as well as simply human to be more interested in the fate of a single person. Even more so, if this person "has a face". If s/he is known to people, if they can in some way relate to him or her. In this case, it was a goalkeeper. Outside of the football-crazy part of the world, it may difficult to understand just how important this sport is to people. And just how singular and disturbing an event the suicide of a successful, generally liked and respected player was. Someone who had a face, who was known to a lot of people. And therefore his suicide was a big shock for a lot of people.

You were far more shocked by the shooting. And you obviously had a problem with not more people sharing your shock and your view of that terrible incident. I may not share your interpretation of it. But I think the reason that thread turned ugly so very quickly is that people don't like to be told what they should care about and what not. Those are personal feelings, anyway. My criticism is not that you were much more affected by the shooting. But if you had for example started your thread, asking how other people saw that incident, instead of accusing MTF as a whole of having lopsided standards, then maybe it wouldn't have ended the way it did.
Joolz is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #65
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
then maybe it wouldn't have ended the way it did.
I have no idea how it ended. Peta Pan is not saying. But I don't think it ended because it is not permitted to talk about Fort Hood. It ended because other posters violated the rules. They were not punished. Peta Pan chose to punish me.

PS. The Enke suicide just happened to be another thread going at the same time. It was an example of the kind of human tragedy that people like to talk about. But before my thread was deleted I got the impression that people thought it was very much OK to discuss German tragedies, but a tragedy in the US should not warrant a thread.

I very much understand the importance of football. I'm Irish and I'm dying out here. If I had gone into that Enke thread and posted offensive comments about Germans, footballers and people who kill themselves, do you really think Peta Pan would have deleted the thread? Or would she have banned me, the offender?

Last edited by buddyholly : 11-17-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #66
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoo Foo View Post
I wouldn't really expect to find a discussion of Ft. Hood on a cooking/fly-fishing/model railroad/derek jeter website either.
I wouldn't put a discussion of Fort Hood in the tennis section, but surely the non-tennis section of MTF was designed for tennis fans to discuss issues other than tennis. Which is exactly what I did.
You seem to be arguing that the non-tennis section should be removed and tennis fans interested in any other topic should go elsewhere.
So why do you even look at the threads there?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #67
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You seem to be arguing that the non-tennis section should be removed and tennis fans interested in any other topic should go elsewhere.
i am most emphatically not arguing that anything should be removed, but since your ft. hood thread was removed (kinda unfairly, in my opinion, but i stopped checking on it after a while so i don't know what the hell was going on in there), i'm suggesting that instead of waging a futile campaign to have it reinstated here maybe you go elsewhere to discuss it. but if you are really determined to discuss ft. hood with demented tennis fans, ok, i don't know why you would want to do that, but go for it

Quote:
So why do you even look at the threads there?
maybe we read this forum differently, i check to see where recent posts are and then read whatever looks interesting at the top of the list. i don't pay attention to what forum it's in but try to make sure i'm not in a player's forum if i'm about to say something nasty about him and that i'm not in GM if i want to say something about a match in progress. OK by you?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #68
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

OK, but you did suggest that you would not expect to find a Fort Hood thread on a tennis forum.

And I was not at all asking for the thread to be reinstated. I was dumbfounded by Peta Pan's logic, whereby making offensive posts in a thread is good reason to delete a thread. She made no mention of punishment for the offending posters. I don't know if that ever happened before.
So I suppose I was asking what prompted her to pick this thread for deletion and not those threads with an equal or greater content of offending posts. Seems to me she left the door open by setting a precedent whereby an offending post in a thread is enough to delete the entire thread.

So all in all I think she is damaging MTF. When she states that she applies the rules of general messages to non-tennis, she leaves me dumbfounded, given that she thinks that posts of a political nature are akin to time bombs and should be avoided, so as not to offend. How could she be a moderator of a non-tennis forum with views like this? Of course, the same rule says that bad language is not allowed and she chooses to ignore this part.

You suggest I walk away. That may happen, but first I would rather raise my voice in defense of the forum and try not have it destroyed by the kind of selective politically correct thinking that would silence just about everyone.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #69
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
maybe we read this forum differently, i check to see where recent posts are and then read whatever looks interesting at the top of the list. i don't pay attention to what forum it's in
Do you really mean this? You could make a post in ''Best Song of All Time'' thread and not know if you were in ''tennis'' or ''non-tennis''?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #70
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
Well, to be fair this is a tennis forum, and most people come here to talk tennis, unlike you.
Almost impossible to answer this kind of blinkered thinking. A non-tennis forum is no place to discuss things that are not related to tennis???????

I like tennis scores, entry lists and contests, all of which I can obtain here, but prefer to discuss non-tennis topical issues rather than discuss whether Federer should retire or whether Tsonga has a better backhand than Soderling. Is that permitted?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #71
country flag Snoo Foo

it's not that I wouldn't "know" but i wouldn't be aware of it, i don't usually check to see whether I'm in "Chat Threads" or "Off Topic" or "Non-Tennis." Sometimes I accidentally make random posts in player forums. I notice thread titles, not what forum they're in. I don't pay much attention to the forum or subforum. I don't even really understand how other people navigate the site by forum.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #72
country flag Snoo Foo

Quote:
OK, but you did suggest that you would not expect to find a Fort Hood thread on a tennis forum.
in general, as a matter of common sense, i wouldn't expect to find a ft. hood thread on a tennis forum. I would not be surprised to find a ft. hood thread on this tennis forum cuz there are threads about all kinds of crazy shit on this tennis forum.

Quote:
I don't know if that ever happened before.
yes it has. long ago Clydey started a thread about a graphic Japanese video game in which the object was to collect points by ****** women. Within a few posts the course of discussion had veered into Japanese- and Asian-bashing, e.g., Japanese people are sick, Asian culture is verkokt, etc. Presumably Clydey had not intended to start a Japanese- or Asian-bashing thread but this is what he got. The mods deleted it cuz, as I understood it, the inevitable outrage it was going to cause and the amount of monitoring and reporting it would require would substantially outweigh its contribution to a forum dedicated to men's tennis.

Quote:
You suggest I walk away. That may happen, but first I would rather raise my voice in defense of the forum and try not have it destroyed by the kind of selective politically correct thinking that would silence just about everyone.
do you sincerely believe that not allowing a thread about fort hood will destroy this forum? your desire to talk about the ft hood shooting with MTFers puzzles me; your regard for the collective intellect and maturity of MTF is much higher than mine. If the powers that be summarily forbid all political discussion on MTF it would in no way "silence" me or diminish my enjoyment of MTF, and i suspect i'm not unique in that regard.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #73
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
do you sincerely believe that not allowing a thread about fort hood will destroy this forum? your desire to talk about the ft hood shooting with MTFers puzzles me; your regard for the collective intellect and maturity of MTF is much higher than mine.
No, but if the censorship criteria of Peta Pan are equally applied to all threads, then indeed the forum would be destroyed.

I am not at all interested in those websites with all the rabid nuts on them. At this one everyone also has an interest in tennis and it is much the same small group all the time in non-tennis, so it is like talking to people you know. And there are quite a few posters whose comments I enjoy. I can not even imagine ever questioning a person's right to say whatever they want. But it surprises me how many people here say ''we don't want your opinion here. We don't think like you. We want only opinions that we agree with''. Where is the fun in that? I guess what keeps me coming back is that these people would invariably describe themselves as liberal. I find that amusing. They probably don't know that they are the opposite of liberal.

And you still keep repeating that it is strange to you that people want to discuss non-tennis subjects in a non-tennis forum. I guess I would find it strange if they did anything else.

Last edited by buddyholly : 11-17-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #74
country flag Snoo Foo

Quote:
I am not at all interested in those websites with all the rabid nuts on them.
what websites are you talking about? if you think MTF is an example of a website which does not have rabid nuts all over it, you and i have drastically different definitions of "rabid nut." From what i can tell most MTFers are uninformed or uninterested in the fort hood incident, as i tried to point out in your original thread.

Quote:
Where is the fun in that? I guess what keeps me coming back is that these people would invariably describe themselves as liberal. I find that amusing.
So you don't really want any kind of meaningful discussion of the ft. hood shootings, you just want to argue about it with people who are significantly less informed than you, people who don't really know or understand the intricacies of the issue and prolly don't really have that much interest in it. Instead of seeking out people who might have some knowledge and insight on the matter, you stay on MTF and use dramatic statements (e.g., political correctness is destroying MTF) to engage the clueless and then laugh at their ignorance. Whatever floats your boat, dude

Quote:
And you still keep repeating that it is strange to you that people want to discuss non-tennis subjects in a non-tennis forum. I guess I would find it strange if they did anything else.
I have assumed for a long time now that "Mens Tennis Forums" is a tennis forum (and it's not just the name, but the extensive discussions of tennis and tennis players that gave me this impression). You are now telling me that it is a "non-tennis forum." I confess this is the first time i've heard this and i am flummoxed. If it is not a tennis forum, then I guess that explains your determination, but it contains a bizarrely enormous amount of tennis discussion for a non-tennis forum.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 AM   #75
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

This is what happens when you get spoiled bratty kids..they think they deserve or are entitled to all this shit. Just give it a rest buddy, you should talk about ft hood with your friends if you have any..
Closed Thread