Need advice on killing short high balls - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
country flag Haelfix

Haelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need advice on killing short high balls

This is a shot thats missing from my arsenal and its killing me. Generically I have really good ground strokes, a good serve and volley game and some speed. I feel I should be a lot better than my results. The problem is the second I play a good retriever type or moonballer, I get him moving all over the court and invariably he ends up giving me a desperation short ball that drops inside the service line. Achilles heel at that point, b/c I no longer have the capability of hurting him and instead often end up either getting a UE or getting passed.

My problem is that unless I get too it before it drops and hit a volley (which I can put away easily), at that point im in trouble. If its low, I can angle it away, but then that shot has no pace and not much spin and the guy will get to it. If its high, I don't have the capability of killing it or I miss badly.

Watching the pros play, they seem to take those shots with a lot of wrist action and generically end the point nearly everytime without breaking a sweat. But I rarely trained these shots in highschool when I actually had teachers and im clearly doing something wrong technically.

I've seen people respond all over the map on this one. Sometimes you are supposed to move through it. Others say stop and then hit. Some say short backswing, no wrist. Others say change grips and torque the wrist.

Advice?
Haelfix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on killing short high balls

The main thing on killing short balls is knowing what you want to do before you even hit it.

Like when you see the ball going to land in the service box, your mind needs to work to what you want to do, and move QUICKLY to get into position and hit an aggressive, flat shot.

Where exactly that flat shot goes matters on where your opponent is and what shot you are most comfortable with, but hitting it deep, in a corner, and closing the net intelligently is the best option.

When I say closing the net intelligently, it means to close the net so that your opponent has to hit a really wicked pass to win the point.

Cover the cross-court pass. Give him the line.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend an AK-47.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

You have to set your feet otherwise you will have 100-200lbs of body throwing you off balance.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
country flag maratsmaiden

maratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

here's a good video from FYB that discusses short balls/approach shots...

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/vide...pproach-shots/

this is basically what my pro teaches me. hope it's what you're looking for - good luck!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Jump off your front foot and land on your front foot. <--- Makes a world of difference.

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

If its high, I don't have the capability of killing it or I miss badly.

The thing is you need to add some topspin and hit the ball from behind so this way you do a winner and your ball wont go out.

A short high ball you need to kill it to win the point, but hit it frrom behind adding top spin, dont hit it like from the baseline where you can do high balls flat.

High balls in baseline= hit flat
High balls in service line= put topspin

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Take it on the rise if you dont like it high. Much more power this way

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have this problem but since I switched to a western grip I deal with those shots no problem. It's the low shots which hurt me now!
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

It can be difficult hitting high balls for certain grips, even if it just sitting there like a flailing duck. If you can't change your grip the only real possible solution is to allow it to drop. Because if the ball is "killable" when up high, I don't see why it isn't "killable" when it drops low enough for you to destroy it. You could always pull a Federer and fake when you are about to hit it by allowing it to drop. If you are in the top echelon of players in your area, chances are they will try to guess which way you are going to hit when you are setting up for a clean winner allowing you to wrong foot them. I mean if Federer can do this to the point where it seems unfair at the professional level, I'd bet you can do it as well
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
country flag marquez
Banned!

marquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze View Post
Like when you see the ball going to land in the service box, your mind needs to work to what you want to do, and move QUICKLY to get into position and hit an aggressive, flat shot.
thats the main thing imo
these shots between net and service line can be tricky to play if you dont get into your position quickly enough
marquez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote