Beginner - Intermediate racket - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
country flag fede09

fede09 is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner - Intermediate racket

I started playing tennis about a year ago and I play about twice a month but I want to join a club and therefore upgrade from my $20 Walmart racket . I limited it down to three rackets based on a pretty good amount of reading I did. I want a racket which will be good for a beginner and then great for an intermediate player.

I limited it down to the:

Volkl DNX 4 ($125) Head Size: 105
Length: 27.60 "
Strung Weight: 10.4 oz.
Balance: 1 pts Head Light

GAMMA — C-4 ($120) Head Size: 100
Length: 27.25 inches
Weight: Strung — 10.6 oz
Balance: 13.5

Wilson K Factor KCourt Head Size:100 sq. in. / 645 sq. cm.
($100) Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 9.9oz / 281g
Balance: 1pts Head Light

I can't really make up my mind on these rackets so if any of you guys can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Also if it needs more info on the racket specs I'll post it up. Thanks
fede09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner - Intermediate racket

for a beginner the slightly larger headsize and extended length of the volkl will make it a little bit easier to use. the other rackets have smaller headsizes, requiring slightly more accurate timing. the most advanced of the three is the gamma because its the smallest headsize and heaviest. from a personal point the only racket of them i have had experience with is the wilson, which is a decent all round frame and plays ok. having played with other volkls is can be pretty sure the dnx is comfortable and provides good feel
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
country flag fede09

The Volkl does fit the profile very well. The head-size is mid-plus, the weight is above 10 oz strung, and it has a good reach which I might need since I am not too tall (about 5-8 in height). While I have heard well about Wilson rackets, the weight is a little light in this one. Leaving only the Volkl and the Gamma. The Gamma does come in a nice black and yellow color though as well as in a cover which the Volkl DNX4 doesn't come with. But the Gamma is a little more advanced which might be hard for me to transition to. At least I cut it down to two

Thanks for the help jazar.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
country flag fede09

I am going with the DNX 4. I found a site that sells it for $120 with the cover, strings it, and ships it for free. Great deal. I'll post up on how the racket delivers though any advice with the tension? The racket recommends 46-60 but no idea on the actual number I should go with.

Last edited by fede09 : 10-21-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

generally if its coming pre-strung it will be in the middle of the tension range, which gives you a balance between power and control
Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
country flag fede09

Well its not pre-strung, I have to pick the string and the tension. Gonna do some research on the best strings probably a lower durability Volkl string should do.

Last edited by fede09 : 10-21-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
country flag jazar

i wouldnt go with a volkl string. they have a limited range and what they do have isnt very good. it would be better to go for a string from a bigger brand like babolat, pacific, wilson, tecnifibre
Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
country flag fede09

I was recommended the Babolat Tour Hurricane 17. I looked into it but its made of polyester which isn't recommended for beginner-intermediates. I am looking for a spin and power oriented string of 17g for an approx. 53-56 tension made of either natural gut or nylon. If anyone has any suggestions on any good strings in one of these categories I would greatly appreciated.

Last edited by fede09 : 10-22-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
country flag jazar

if you want natural gut the go either babolat vas or pacific tough gut. otherwise check out babolat xcel and addiction, wilson nxt and sensation, pacific spacepower and pmx, tecnifibre x1 biphase and nrg
Old 10-24-2009, 04:28 AM   #10
country flag fede09

Thanks for the help jazar. Picked out my racket and I have some recommended strings to work with now. I wanted to make the best out of my investment specially for varsity tennis and then hopefully club tennis.