Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 34 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 57 19.52%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 40 13.70%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 73 25.00%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 122 41.78%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #496
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
He didn't like the term. He was closer to an atheist than a theist. He didn't believe in any sort of supreme being. He is most often described as a deist. I can provide a mountain of quotes in which he rubbishes theism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
"I'm not an atheist. I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws."
if you want to argue that the top intellectuals are atheists is a credit to atheism, then you should accept that the top intellectual we know of wasn't an atheist therefore taking credit off it.

and as I said, there are many outstanding intellectuals who lived/are living and are also theists or at least not atheists like Einstein, so it doesn't prove anything.
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #497
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think Einstein knew what he was. He said stated that he wasn't an atheist, yet also stated that he doesn't believe in God. He revered nature and nature seemed to be his God.
Yeah, I agree with you on that.

Here are some quotes from him.

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

"I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

EDIT: Habib has put two of those up already.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,083,768 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 457-145...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #498
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
if you want to argue that the top intellectuals are atheists is a credit to atheism, then you should accept that the top intellectual we know of wasn't an atheist therefore taking credit off it.

and as I said, there are many outstanding intellectuals who lived/are living and are also theists, so it doesn't prove anything.
I didn't say that it proved anything, nor did I intend it to. The point is that atheists believe in evidence and reason. Smarter people value reason above blind faith, generally speaking.

And Einstein was not an atheist, but he was certainly not a theist. He was a deist in a time before evolution was widely accepted and before we knew more about the laws of nature. He had nothing but contempt for the notion of a personal God and referred to people like you as "naive" for clinging to childish superstitions.

He was a man of reason. Don't ever pretend that he believed in God. He made it clear that he didn't. As we've come to know more about the world, the number of top intellectuals who are theists has dwindled. People like Isaac Newton were theists in a time before atheism was intellectually viable. That applies to Einstein, too. Atheism was about as popular as communism before evolution was accepted.

By the way, that third quote is disputed. Nice try, though.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #499
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them.
Quote:
It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.
There you go, Habib. You're a sad liar, mate. Rather than admit that he was neither a theist nor an atheist, you tried to pretend he was a theist.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 AM   #500
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Yeah, I agree with you on that.

Here are some quotes from him.

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

"I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

EDIT: Habib has put two of those up already.
That 4th quote is disputed. Habib wants people to think that Einstein believed in a personal God.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #501
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't say that it proved anything, nor did I intend it to. The point is that atheists believe in evidence and reason. Smarter people value reason above blind faith, generally speaking.

And Einstein was not an atheist, but he was certainly not a theist. He was a deist in a time before evolution was widely accepted and before we knew more about the laws of nature. He had nothing but contempt for the notion of a personal God and referred to people like you as "naive" for clinging to childish superstitions.

He was a man of reason. Don't ever pretend that he believed in God. He made it clear that he didn't. As we've come to know more about the world, the number of top intellectuals who are theists has dwindled. People like Isaac Newton were theists in a time before atheism was intellectually viable. That applies to Einstein, too. Atheism was about as popular as communism before evolution was accepted.

By the way, that third quote is disputed. Nice try, though.
well those who value reason don't always end up being atheists now do they? and there is no clearer example than Einstein himself, the reason is atheism doesn't explain anything really, it brings more questions than solve them.

Einstein might not have believed in a personal God, but he believed in an intelligent design behind this universe, he didn't specify what shape or form this God took (and rightly so, because there is no way we can tell), but he firmly believed that this universe with all its complexity didn't come out of nothing or was just there all the time, that's what true objective intellegent reason will bring you to.

afterwards there are leaps of faith that you can take like Kierkegaard or Habib...

Quote:
There you go, Habib. You're a sad liar, mate. Rather than admit that he was neither a theist nor an atheist, you tried to pretend he was a theist.
Quote:
That 4th quote is disputed. Habib wants people to think that Einstein believed in a personal God.
WTF?! where did I pretend he is theist? I was clearly stating that he was not an atheist all the time, where did I say he was a theist, and you call me a liar now? wow.

and how disputed?

Last edited by habibko : 10-22-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #502
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
well those who value reason don't always end up being atheists now do they? and there is no clearer example than Einstein himself, the reason is atheism doesn't explain anything really, it brings more questions than solve them.

Einstein might not have believed in a personal God, but he believed in an intelligent design behind this universe, he didn't specify what shape or form this God took (and rightly so, because there is no way we can tell), but he firmly believed that this universe with all its complexity didn't come out of nothing or was just there all the time, that's what true objective intellegent reason will bring you to.

afterwards there are leaps of faith that you can take like Kierkegaard or Habib...

WTF?! where did I pretend he is theist? I was clearly stating that he was not an atheist all the time, where did I say he was an theist, and you call me a liar now? wow.

and how disputed?
Atheism isn't intended to explain anything. It's not a philosophy. Get that through your head.

You're impossible to reason with. Sometimes you get mad at people and want to hit them. I'm mad at you, but I don't want to hit you. I want to educate you. I want to sit you down and make you read a book. I want you to stop skimming through wikipedia for your information. I want you to actually know what you're talking about, rather than doing a google search, coming back 5 minutes later and then pretending.

It's pointless debating you. You were indoctrinated and raised from birth to be religious. It's all you know. Nothing will ever sway you. A book of fairytales is all the evidence you need. The most annoying part about this is that I won't be able to say "I told you so" once you realise that there is no God (and I state that with as much certainty as I'm willing to state anything), nor 72 virgins. Maybe there will be a couple of prostitutes instead. I'd settle for that.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #503
country flag habibko

Quote:
Atheism isn't intended to explain anything. It's not a philosophy. Get that through your head.

You're impossible to reason with. Sometimes you get mad at people and want to hit them. I'm mad at you, but I don't want to hit you. I want to educate you. I want to sit you down and make you read a book. I want you to stop skimming through wikipedia for your information. I want you to actually know what you're talking about, rather than doing a google search, coming back 5 minutes later and then pretending.

It's pointless debating you. You were indoctrinated and raised from birth to be religious. It's all you know. Nothing will ever sway you. A book of fairytales is all the evidence you need. The most annoying part about this is that I won't be able to say "I told you so" once you realise that there is no God (and I state that with as much certainty as I'm willing to state anything), nor 72 virgins. Maybe there will be a couple of prostitutes instead. I'd settle for that.
no need to take this personally, it's a discussion in good spirit (from my side at least), I'm not mad at you and I don't think you should be mad either, I also think I'm well educated thank you for your concern, but I don't need you to educate me.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #504
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
no need to take this personally, it's a discussion in good spirit (from my side at least), I'm not mad at you and I don't think you should be mad either, I also think I'm well educated thank you for your concern, but I don't need you to educate me.
It's not personal, Habib. It's just frustrating. I'm pretty much a veteran when it comes to these religious discussions and I hear the same arguments over and over. When you're not discussing religion, you're a sound guy. When you start talking about religion, though, I just want beat you over the head with a science textbook.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #505
country flag habibko

Quote:
It's not personal, Habib. It's just frustrating. I'm pretty much a veteran when it comes to these religious discussions and I hear the same arguments over and over. When you're not discussing religion, you're a sound guy. When you start talking about religion, though, I just want beat you over the head with a science textbook.

oh well, it's not like I'm thrilled with the fact you are atheist either, I like you better when we at the same RPG games
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #506
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena71 View Post
By the way check out Max Tegmark ,he's the cutest physicist ,too bad he's a bit nuts,he believes in that 'many worlds theory' by Hugh Everett
If you're referring to the multiverse theory, there's nothing "nuts" about it.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #507
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Clydey, why do you even bother arguing with a guy that has the IQ of a pelican?

Last edited by GlennMirnyi : 10-22-2009 at 03:19 PM.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #508
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Longest argument in the history of MTF??

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,083,768 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 457-145...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #509
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Atheism is the belief that there is no God.
Exactly. Pure belief based on no scientific evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Yeah, definitely.

Very rational. Now explain us scientifically why there must be a God. Good luck.
Why would I explain that, Im not a believer

Now you try to scientifically explain why there musn't be a God, or ask Clydey to. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #510
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Agnosticism is clearly the most "natural" position. Any other thing is based on pure belief.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote