Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 33 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 57 19.52%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 40 13.70%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 73 25.00%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 122 41.78%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #481
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I love it. You've spent 5 minutes on wikipedia and you think you know what the fuck you're talking about.
again going after my knowledge on the matter, you can answer my posts as they are, show me how wrong I was if I were.

Quote:
I'm just going to leave that paragraph of baseless nonsense and ask you to answer my question.

Would you still be a Muslim if you were brought up by Evangelical Christians in the USA?
I don't know the answer of that obviously, I could have converted if I knew Islam as I know it now, but chances are I won't know enough I suppose.
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #482
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post

I don't know the answer of that obviously, I could have converted if I knew Islam as I know it now, but chances are I won't know enough I suppose.
The chances of you randomly becoming a Muslim are so ridiculously slim that it's not even worth thinking about. You believe what you believe because of where you were raised and how you were raised. You didn't make a conscious choice. You were born into it.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #483
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I answered that already. We know the universe exists. We do not know that a God exists, nor do we have any evidence to even suggest that one exists. You can make an argument for the universe having always existed in some form because we know it exists. It is entirely irrational to argue that a supreme being, whom we have no evidence for, has always existed.

You first have to prove that God exists before you can even start making a case for him having always existed. One step at a time. First prove he/she/it actually exists and then we can discuss whether your God is infinite. I don't have to prove the universe exists.
yes the universe exists but there is no evidence of it being eternal as you propose, therefore it's illogical, one or two steps what does it matter? it's illogical in the end, so much for being fully logical and the only God worthy of worship is your own mind and reason.

Quote:
And only an idiot would think that the concept of infinity is irrational. Here's an idea. Start counting and stop when you get to the end.
in theory and abstract words we can talk about infinity, but there is no proof if anything being infinite in practice or in our experienced world, and even if something WAS infinite there is no way you would be able to tell, you would just say it's too huge/big/many, you can't measure infinity.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #484
country flag habibko

Quote:
The chances of you randomly becoming a Muslim are so ridiculously slim that it's not even worth thinking about. You believe what you believe because of where you were raised and how you were raised. You didn't make a conscious choice. You were born into it.
randomly becoming a Muslim? so many people in the world convert to Islam every year, and knowing me I'd have known alot about it which increases my chances, but this is all hypothetical.

what about you, were you born an atheist?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #485
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
randomly becoming a Muslim? so many people in the world convert to Islam every year, and knowing me I'd have known alot about it which increases my chances, but this is all hypothetical.

what about you, were you born an atheist?
Yes, I was born an atheist. So were you. However, I was raised Catholic.

Compared to the number of believers who were raised in a particular religion, the percentage of converts is tiny. The overwhelming majority of people of faith are born into it. And most converts didn't have a strong religious upbringing. For example, you're not going to see many kids raised by Evangeligical Christians becoming Muslims later in life.

You're delusional if you think it was a conscious choice for you to become a Muslim. Tell yourself whatever you need to, but don't expect anyone with an ounce of sense to buy that bullshit story. It's not a coincidence that people take on the religion of their parents.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 AM   #486
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
yes the universe exists but there is no evidence of it being eternal as you propose, therefore it's illogical, one or two steps what does it matter? it's illogical in the end, so much for being fully logical and the only God worthy of worship is your own mind and reason.
I didn't say that there was any evidence for it other than my own reasoning, which is purely theoretical. It's not something I'd stake my life on, nor is it a fact. There's a difference between what you believe and what I believe. That's why I'm rational and you are not. I don't pretend that my theory (common usage of the word) is a fact. I don't dedicate my life to praising what amounts to a best guess. I concede that there is every chance that I'm wrong and I will reconsider if new evidence comes to light. You won't. And that's the difference. Evidence means nothing to you. You only care about what supports your beliefs.

Quote:
in theory and abstract words we can talk about infinity, but there is no proof if anything being infinite in practice or in our experienced world, and even if something WAS infinite there is no way you would be able to tell, you would just say it's too huge/big/many, you can't measure infinity.
Numbers aren't practical enough for you?

Like I said, think about infinity for a while. You're not much for deep thought, as far as I can tell. Maybe you'll wise up in a few years. Right now, it's impossible to reason with you.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #487
country flag habibko

Quote:
Yes, I was born an atheist. So were you. However, I was raised Catholic.

Compared to the number of believers who were raised in a particular religion, the percentage of converts is tiny. The overwhelming majority of people of faith are born into it. And most converts didn't have a strong religious upbringing. For example, you're not going to see many kids raised by Evangeligical Christians becoming Muslims later in life.

You're delusional if you think it was a conscious choice for you to become a Muslim. Tell yourself whatever you need to, but don't expect anyone with an ounce of sense to buy that bullshit story. It's not a coincidence that people take on the religion of their parents.
well this is not a religions' thread, it's about the existence of God, and in the end atheism doesn't make any more sense than any other brand of religion, so it's not like you have hit the nail on the head with your conversion you know.

my belief is that as long as you believe in one true God, you are a Muslim, I don't think it matters much to God wheather you fast Ramadan or Yom Kippur, or if you feed the poor because you want to please Allah, YHWH or The Father, but this is irrelevant to this thread.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #488
country flag habibko

Quote:
I didn't say that there was any evidence for it other than my own reasoning, which is purely theoretical. It's not something I'd stake my life on, nor is it a fact. There's a difference between what you believe and what I believe. That's why I'm rational and you are not. I don't pretend that my theory (common usage of the word) is a fact. I don't dedicate my life to praising what amounts to a best guess. I concede that there is every chance that I'm wrong and I will reconsider if new evidence comes to light. You won't. And that's the difference. Evidence means nothing to you. You only care about what supports your beliefs.
so many assumptions about me again, gotta love it.

Quote:
Numbers aren't practical enough for you?

Like I said, think about infinity for a while. You're not much for deep thought, as far as I can tell. Maybe you'll wise up in a few years. Right now, it's impossible to reason with you.
no sorry, my head can't grasp this, I stutter when counting, or maybe I'm just not smart enough to count.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #489
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
well this is not a religions' thread, it's about the existence of God, and in the end atheism doesn't make any more sense than any other brand of religion, so it's not like you have hit the nail on the head with your conversion you know.

my belief is that as long as you believe in one true God, you are a Muslim, I don't think it matters much to God wheather you fast Ramadan or Yom Kippur, or if you feed the poor because you want to please Allah, YHWH or The Father, but this is irrelevant to this thread.
Yeah, me not believing in a God is just as irrational as believing in an all-powerful being in the sky who listens to prayers, can hear everyone's thoughts, do anything, etc, etc. Oh, I forgot the complete lack of evidence for this being's existence.

Talk about delusional. There's a reason why the people considered the world's top intellectuals are atheists. They value evidence and reason.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #490
country flag habibko

Quote:
Yeah, me not believing in a God is just as irrational as believing in an all-powerful being in the sky who listens to prayers, can hear everyone's thoughts, do anything, etc, etc. Oh, I forgot the complete lack of evidence for this being's existence.

Talk about delusional. There's a reason why the people considered the world's top intellectuals are atheists. They value evidence and reason.
yeah, intelligence definitely contradicts theism doesn't it? and intellectuals can never be religious either, if you say so, people like Avicenna and Kierkegaard never existed huh?

heck the most intelligent man we knew, Albert Einstein, couldn't bring himself to be an atheist, says alot doesn't it?

http://www.closertotruth.com/video-p...kinghorne-/619
Old 10-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #491
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
yeah, intellegence definitely contradicts theism doesn't it? and intellectuals can never be religious either, if you say so, people like Avicenna and Kierkegaard never existed huh?

heck the most intellegent man we knew, Albert Einstein, couldn't bring himself to be an atheist, says alot doesn't it?

http://www.closertotruth.com/video-p...kinghorne-/619
Einstein didn't believe in God. Be prepared to look like an idiot if you insist that he did. You have been warned.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #492
country flag habibko

Quote:
Einstein didn't believe in God. Be prepared to look like an idiot if you insist that he did. You have been warned.
Einstein wasn't an Atheist. Be prepared to look like an idiot if you insist that he was. You have been warned.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #493
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Albert Einstein was not an athiest, but he didn't believe in a God either.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,454,018 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 460-146...
TITLES: 28 and counting...

Last edited by Sapeod : 10-22-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #494
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Einstein wasn't an Atheist. Be prepared to look like an idiot if you insist that he was. You have been warned.
He didn't like the term. He was closer to an atheist than a theist. He didn't believe in any sort of supreme being. He is most often described as a deist. I can provide a mountain of quotes in which he rubbishes theism.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #495
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Albert Einstein was not an athiest, but he didn't believe in a God either.
I don't think Einstein knew what he was. He said stated that he wasn't an atheist, yet also stated that he doesn't believe in God. He revered nature and nature seemed to be his God.