Rafael Nadal named one of the 10 most liked sports figures in USA - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #136
country flag Midnight Ninja

Midnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal named one of the 10 most liked sports figures in USA

Vida: I may very well be wrong here but I think Federer has a much more elitist image compared to the "down-to-earth" image portrayed by Nadal. That could very well be the reason.

Though I know that Federer is much more famous in Asian circles (especially South Asia which includes India etc.)
Midnight Ninja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #137
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Why so much discussion about Federer in this thread?

To be honest, I doubt he'd make the top 1000. He's an arrogant twat who is about as likeable as getting swine flu.

Maybe he'll make the Swiss top 10. Or a list done by Mirka
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #138
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Ninja View Post
Vida: I may very well be wrong here but I think Federer has a much more elitist image compared to the "down-to-earth" image portrayed by Nadal. That could very well be the reason.

Though I know that Federer is much more famous in Asian circles (especially South Asia which includes India etc.)
ok, but thats my point. isnt an elitist image supposed to be more "liked" in the states?

I mean Federer, the way I saw it, just fits the bill of a "desirable groom"... speaks the language almost perfectly, has that eye for PR, cracks jokes people expect to hear. that sort of thing.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #139
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post

To be honest, I doubt he'd make the top 1000. He's an arrogant twat who is about as likeable as getting swine flu.

but thats to US. not an average joe who watches espn and j-off at multiple slams.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #140
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
< that makes sense.

I still dont buy why Fed isnt more popular in the States than Rafa. to my primitive, 3rd word brain, there is nothing that points as an explanation.

I mean, there is what Black Adam said, that Rafa is kinda humble and spartan and all that, but isnt that something that average fan in the States would NOT take over multi-talented, ultimate success story, sweet talking, everybodys best buddy Federer?

ok, Im not sure what kind of a poll is that, but arent all the qualities that Rafa has supposed to be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of exposure Federer has got over the years - if not anything else?

sure, WE know what he is like. its not all lovely lubbly with the old geezer, but surely he's done enough for his surface image to be enough for an average jock in the States to take him as more "liked" than a "simpleton" Nadal?
It's very hard to generalize about a country as big and as diverse as the U.S. Still, I do think that Americans do respond to a smiling and pleasant nature. Nadal has that. I don't think that anyone sees Nadal as a "simpleton."

To be serious, I don't know anything about this poll or who sponsored it or how the questions were phrased that means a lot. There are many who like and dislike each player. From my experience, more people like both Federer and Nadal than dislike either.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #141
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ok, but thats my point. isnt an elitist image supposed to be more "liked" in the states?
No, it's just the opposite.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #142
country flag LaFuria

LaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond repute

Since when is Americans having no taste anything new?
LaFuria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #143
country flag sawan66278

sawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why Rafa is more popular is because, again, Federer is too aristocratic in nature...and narcissism personified. Rafa represents the "working man"...the "9 to 5" hard hat construction worker who roles up his sleeves, and gets the job done. Federer? The country club executive who's more interested in court or tee time than anything else.

Oh...and Bascule...color can't be an issue with her: she's green

Roland Garros 2010: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Quote:
"If going to the ledge so often, both mentally and physically, shaves a couple years off of Rafael Nadal's career, so be it. Because of him, and because of his performances in matches like this, we've gotten to see just how far the sport can push a man"

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/4...f95a57d421.gif
sawan66278 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #144
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
maybe by elitists... but for most people it's a major turn-off.

look at Caddyshack, Pretty in Pink, Animal House, Slumdog Millionaire (not a US movie but won Best Picture here), The Grapes of Fuckin Wrath, Breaking Away, The Notebook , It's a Wonderful Life

rich people = mean, stuckup, weak, immoral, boring
poor/working class people = noble, brave, strong, heroic, fun
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #145
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

UK fave sports figures >>>>> USA fave sports figures

USA fill theirs with US sports. Worldwide sports are all that matters in the UK.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #146
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
UK fave sports figures >>>>> USA fave sports figures

USA fill theirs with US sports. Worldwide sports are all that matters in the UK.
And there are good reasons for that.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #147
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post

Actually he made a cooler list (along with Roddick). Maybe Nadal will make that one next year
http://www.askmen.com/specials/top_49_men/

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #148
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Actually he made a cooler list (along with Roddick). Maybe Nadal will make that one next year
http://www.askmen.com/specials/top_49_men/
The list of most emotional meltdowns??

Old 10-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #149
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFuria View Post
Since when is Americans having no taste anything new?
This is true. We (well not me) did elect Barack Obama.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #150
country flag Bascule

Bascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond reputeBascule has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan66278 View Post
The reason why Rafa is more popular is because, again, Federer is too aristocratic in nature...and narcissism personified. Rafa represents the "working man"...the "9 to 5" hard hat construction worker who roles up his sleeves, and gets the job done. Federer? The country club executive who's more interested in court or tee time than anything else.

Oh...and Bascule...color can't be an issue with her: she's green
Yes, I am green and like the guys with a little arabian look.
Bascule is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote