I need some advice on how to return a shot - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
country flag Sinerra

Sinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need some advice on how to return a shot

Thursday I have a match (in mixed doubles) against our greatest rivals :P They are first in our club ranking and if we beat them we are first. We've played each other before but one shot always troubles me.
So I need your advice on how to handle this shot.

I'm not really good with tennis terms to be honest (at least not in English since we translate a lot of the terms) so I hope you'll understand.

The guy hits with extreme slice. When the ball bounces, it 'jumps' away from you. (like pros hit dropshots) So Im always standing to far away from the ball. That's not really the problem, because I know how it bounces and I can adjust fast.

But when I am the netplayer and I want to smash or volley that shot, I always hit the net. Everyone at our club has trouble with it. Some say you have to hit through the ball hard to volley or smash it. Others say you should barely touch it with your racquet to make it go over the net.

Does anyone know how to volley/smash these shots? Hit the ball as hard as possible? Or slice it back maybe?
A few months ago when we played I found the solutions and the last games I volleyed all his stupid shots away and won the match. But the stupid thing is that now I dont remember how I did that....

Please some advice on this I really want to win, because we can beat them if only he doesnt hit that idiotic shot whenever he's behind. And if we win, we finish as the number one

(I hope you understand... it's hard to explain in English)
Sinerra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need some advice on how to return a shot

It isn't entirely about hitting it hard or not. The FIRST AND FOREMOST thing you have to do to volley a ball that has any spin, whether topspin or slice, is to have a strong wrist. Too flismy and you won't control it. But at the same time, you don't want to sit there like a brick wall because it will spin off your racket. You will want good control yet at the same time following through the ball.

But I honestly don't know how he gets away with using a slice in doubles, because in the division I play, a player slicing back a shot means free meat for any singles or ESPECIALLY in doubles at the net.

Again, main thing is DON'T panick and just follow through and have a good wrist with the volley. If you can setup volleys for flat passing shots which obviously go MUCH faster than any slice, then you should not have any problem getting in position to put the volley away.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Its this simple- if you step forward half a meter to 2/3ds of a meter closer when he starts with the slice, there is an increased chance of the ball going over the net.

For example say you stand 1.5 meters away from net normally, that means that the ball will travel a total of 1.5 meters over the net to you, and 1.5 meters again until it clears the net. If you stand only 1 meter away, then the ball will travel 1m to you and 1m to get over the net. therefore, even if you hit short or miss-hit or take a ball off the frame, the ball will have to travel half a meter less, thus giving you a larger margine of error.

Also, by standing closer his slice with side-spin won't be able to travel as far, because you are shortening the distance the ball will travel and the time it will have to move horizontally.

Hope I was clear enough.............
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
country flag Sinerra

Sinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks HKz and dunlopkickserve!

Thanks very much for your reaction and advice.

You're right HKz, normally when a player slices in doubles I have no problem with that.(not that many try) Only when this guy does it... It's a really weird shot, very hard to do. I've also never seen a pro use this shot. (so not a normal tennis shot ) He has a great angle with this slice shot, so it's hard for the netplayer to hit it back right.

Also, I suck at the net... I only play doubles because it is so much fun at our club. When I play singles I never go to the net, only when the opponent hits a dropshot Our ofcourse when she is in defense then at one point you just have to go

But I dont feel comfortable at the net, so my reactions are slow sometimes. And when I see that guy starts hitting that idiotic slice shot I do panic a little. And then I miss... I then Im pissed at myself because I dont want to miss that stupid shot of that guy.

The match is tomorrow evening. I'll let you know how it went Because Im 100% certain he will use that shot at least 10 times haha
Sinerra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote