Picked up Aerogel 500 tour @ sports direct for £43 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
country flag take2

take2 is on a distinguished road
Default Picked up Aerogel 500 tour @ sports direct for £43

Hi everyone,

I had joined the forum to pose the regular "which racket?". But by the time my account was activated I'd already got the 500 tour.

Just thought I'd post none the less incase anyone else is looking for this racket. It had been on my list, along with the newer 4d version. Popped into Sports Direct and was suprised to see they had it at the same price as the standard 500, perhaps they hadn't spotted the difference. In any case, seemed like a great price (cheapest I've seen), especially considering this was an instore purchase.

I'm just returning to the game after a 15 year break . Used to play alot when I was younger, but in my later teens other things captured my interest .

Anyway, having borrowed a few rackets intially, I found this to be alot more to my liking from the moment I got it in my hand. Offers great power but still retains good touch and feel. The 100 head size is smaller then the borrowed rackets and seems to be the perfect balance between control and ease of use for me right now. And I've now got my topspin going again

The only issue I've really had is some pain in my elbow after the first day I used it. The racket is definately stiffer then the loaners I've been using, but doesn't feel uncomfortable at all when using it. And the subsequent day I played again and the problem cleared up.

Could just be the initial transition to a stiffer racket. Or simply the fact I've over done it recently, have been playing almost everyday over the last 10 days (after such a long lay off).

Assuming that issue doesn't reappear, I think this was exactly what I needed while I figure out what time and age has done to my game. Versatile enough that I'll definately get my moneys worth by the time I grow out of it.

Anyway thanks for reading. Comments, questions, advice are always appreciated
take2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picked up Aerogel 500 tour @ sports direct for £43

Here is my take on the 500 tour:

It provides a ton of power, and is best used at the baseline. At 11 oz it is lightweight, which normally causes a lack of stability, but dunlop addresses this by using a thick beamwidth. Because of the beamwidth the return of serve is above average with this racket.

It is extreemly well at applying spin (because of the 16x18 pattern) and power (provided by the beam width, 100in headsize, and stiffness) to the serve, in fact it is the part of the racket that stands out the most.

I find that this is best used as a doubles stick, as the large headsize reduces mishits on vollies and light weight helps with manuverabilty.

This is by no means a traditional racket. It is dunlops version of the aeropro drive. Not only is it a good racket, it is cheap.you can find the aerogel version for only $79 at tennis warehouse, and you can find the new 4d version for only $159.

If you play alot of doubles and you can handle the stiffness, this may be the racket for you.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote