Advice on type of strings - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
country flag Galdust

Galdust is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on type of strings

Hi! I could need some advice on what kind of strings that can fit what I want in terms of characteristics. I'm demoing the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour atm, and so far I'm really happy with the racket. The strings that it came with from the store are however pretty poor. Since the racket got a 18x20 string pattern, I was thinking of getting some strings that could give me more spin and power. If they also can be a bit durable it would be a big bonus Any popular strings you can recommend me? Thanks
Galdust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on type of strings

dunlop rackets not only come with quite a horrible playing string, but also a stupidly high tension range. i would recommend, firstly, dropping the tension by a couple of pounds. if spin and durability are two characteristics you are looking for a polyester would fit the bill. polys are stiff and gve you more control; you can basically swing faster without fear of the the ball going long. this faster swing will in turn generate more spin. however, some people may not like the harshness of poly, particularly in an 18x20 racket, so you could try a hybrid of poly on the mains and a syn gut or multi on the crosses. this combo will still give the durability and spin, but also more comfort.

some popular polys are babolat pro hurricane and pro hurricane tour, luxilon alu power, topspin cyberflash, signum pro poly plasma and pacific poly force. for multis there is babolat xcel, or babolat addiction for a little more durability
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
country flag Galdust

Galdust is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot, Jazar. I will try both options and see what I like the most.
Galdust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
country flag LPShanet

LPShanet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdust View Post
Hi! I could need some advice on what kind of strings that can fit what I want in terms of characteristics. I'm demoing the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour atm, and so far I'm really happy with the racket. The strings that it came with from the store are however pretty poor. Since the racket got a 18x20 string pattern, I was thinking of getting some strings that could give me more spin and power. If they also can be a bit durable it would be a big bonus Any popular strings you can recommend me? Thanks
Personally, I think you should go in the opposite direction from poly/co-poly, since you mention power, and poly is one of the LEAST powerful strings out there. Spin is a function of racquet head speed, so you can always increase that yourself...texture and such just alter your perception of spin, not the spin itself. That said, I'd recommend a high quality multi (or even gut if you can afford it). While poly lasts a long time before it breaks, it goes dead fairly quickly, so it's useful playing life is actually fairly short. Meanwhile, as long as you're not a major string breaker, many multis will last you almost as long, and gut holds tension better than anything out there until it breaks. A little more info about your level and playing style would help, but most of the main string companies out there make good high end multis. Some examples are Wilson NXT Tour, Tecnifibre NRG and TGV, Gamma Live Wire XP, Babolat Xcel Power, Prince Premier LT, and many more.

While polys certainly have their place and are great strings, they tend to be over-recommended these days, just because so many pros use them. So if you're a 4.5+ big hitter with fast swingspeed and very healthy joints, by all means give them a shot. But if you don't fit that description, I think you'll be happier with any of the others listed above (or similar). Good luck!
LPShanet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
country flag mojoo999

mojoo999 is on a distinguished road

I personally favor synthetic gut.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking @ polys then you should give iso-speed pulse a try. Its more arm friendly than luxilon and is less than 10$. I have my Aerogel 100 strung with it and i'm happy
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote