How important is the continental grip for serve + volley for a weekend player - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
country flag Huey84

Huey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond reputeHuey84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How important is the continental grip for serve + volley for a weekend player

Hi gais,

I'm 24 and have been playing tennis for about 2 years. Recently I have been getting some coaching and while it has helped improve my forehand and backhand it has destroyed my serve and volley. My coach has me using the continental grip for serves and volleys, which I have never used before and it's making tennis much harder for me. If I see a ball drop short I panic trying to switch to this new grip and usually end up hitting the ball into the net, or somewhere completely unintended.

Normally I hit my forehands and volleys with a semi-western grip and serve with a semi-western or eastern grip. I can usually whack the 1st serve pretty hard and have decent consistency with this. It's absolutely useless as soon as I try to hit it with a continental grip.

I don't plan on reaching a very high level of tennis so should I just flag the continental grip altogether and have fun or grind it out until it feels more natural. I get the feeling that I will probably never be able to exploit the full benefits of the continental grip making little difference to my game even after I get used to it...
Huey84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How important is the continental grip for serve + volley for a weekend player

The Continental grip, or something close to it, is the preferred grip for most for both the serve and the volley. I would imagine that using a semi-west on either or both would be a bit awkward as well as possibly causing injury.

I would suggest you try to use the continental like your coach is saying, but if the semi-west is what you are comfortable with and you aren't hurting yourself with it, just go with what you feel comfortable using.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote