Wimbledon 2009 Report Monday-Friday - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
country flag guille&tati4life

guille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wimbledon 2009 Report Monday-Friday

Can only do Monday and Tuesday so far, will do the next three days tomorrow.
Even though I prefer the ATP in general to the WTA I seemed to watch considerably more WTA tennis this week so for those people with no interest in that, I apologise, cos if you read this report, you'll see a fair amount of it.

Monday:
Before I got in I was alreay in stitches thanks to my fellow fans. During queing there are questions about Wimbledon written up which have the answers on the reverse. One such question was who were the last five female Wimbledon winners. Many confidently asserted Henin which was wrong though perhaps understandable. My favourite moment had to be when one man delighted thought that he'd worked one out and exclaimed Navratilova.... nice .
On Monday, I knew exactly where I was going first, a match between two players I like, Stephanie Foretz and Gisela Dulko. As was an unfortunate curse for me all week I was right beside the coaches and family of the player who I wasn't cheering for, Foretz. Now, contrary to many Wimbledon fans, I like to make a fair amount of noise so it wasn't long before Foretz's entourage were giving me some looks for Vamosing Gisela. The first set was never in doubt and Gisela won it 6-3. The second though was very competitive and Foretz had every chance to cause an upset but despite some pretty good play, Gisela managed to hold her off and get a late break to win the second 7-5.
I didn't know where to go next, I briefly watched the end of the second set of Monaco v Almagro (leaving thinking that Monaco had it won now...) as I waited for Gicquel to finish Mannarino so that I could go and watch Cibulkova. By the time I arrived at the court Domi v Coin had already begun because Gicquel had gone through in super quick time. Cibulkova had never won a grass court match coming into Wimbledon and so I wasn't sure if she could take Coin out. I was sitting with a bunch of Slovaks in this match so shouts of Podme were not a problem. It was pretty clear Domi needed help as she was struggling quite considerably at first. Coin's booming serve was really tough to return all match long and tbh Domi was a little lucky to take the first set 6-4. By the second set though Coin was playing with increased confidence and Domi's lack of grass court know how was seriously showing. Coin won it 6-3. With that, the Slovaks around me all left muttering something about going to see Rybarikova . In came a bunch of Coin supporters, suddenly there were about 20 of them all around me. They were kept silent for a long time in the 3rd set as Domi started playing really good tennis and got herself well up in the set. However, choking as she occassionally does, Domi couldn't take her chances and some MP's went past her. Coin was hitting aces almost 1 in every 3 serves at one stage and her support were loving the comeback that it looked like she might make. In the end though, she went for one too many big serves and threw in a few doubles. Domi missed about 5 MP's but finally put one away. She was jumping up and down in delight when I saw her round the other side of the court. She was talking to her fans, but though a conversation with her might've been fun I figured I'd go and see Tipsarevic.
By the time I got to Tipsarevic v Hernych it looked very good for the Serb, he was a couple of sets up and they were deep into the third. From what I saw though Hernych played some really good stuff, he was probably playing better than Janko heading into the tie-break and raced to a good lead in it. Then though, out of nowhere his form deserted him and he lost 6 of the last 7 points or so much to his annoyance. Should've been taken to 4 but Janko got through pretty safely.
I realised that I was going to have a very much WTA centred day on Monday cos almost all of my favourite women happened to be playing. I still wanted to see three of them and fortunately for me I got to.
Timea Bacsinszky was playing the qualifier Vesna Manasieva. Timea's been one of my favourites for a long time and when I got there I was surprised to see that she'd eased her way through the first set 6-1. Despite it maybe seeming like a bit of a mug's match, the standard wasn't bad and Manasieva looked a very decent player throughout. She took the 2nd set 6-4 and in the third it really could have gone either way as both women had chances to break their opponents at crucial times. Timea's swinging forehand is a much better shot cross court than down the line and when she tried it down the line I could barely watch as for a time it seemed the most likely was that a point would be lost. Her backhand though was very solid and somehow or other it was her who managed to break through and beat Manasieva. Timea gave me a big smile ( ) for my support and began signing autographs. For her part, Manasieva looked good, she is already 20 but perhaps she is a late bloomer and can develop into a top 100 player at least. I had my first experience of the ignorance of the people as all around seemed to assume that as Timea was Swiss she must be the one with dark curly hair uhm... riiiiight.
I then went to see the Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova versus Jill Craybas. For once I managed to sit with the right group of fans. Unfortunately though Pironkova could do little. She went through short spurts of playing good tennis but then she could become pretty poor again. Craybas on the contrary was consistancy personified and as she's done to other players before seemed to bore her opponent into submission.Tsvetana was dumped out of the tournament by the same women as at Roland Garros, 6-4 7-5.
I knew that the last match of the day I wanted to see was Vera Dushevina's. Not only am I a big fan of hers but I really don't like Alize Cornet who happened to be her opponent. I arrived at the court after three games and sat behind Cornet fans Adee-gee and Troickitard. Pretty much the whole stadium seemed to be Cornet fans and other than me, her coach and her mum Vera got no support. To be honest for her performance she deserved little applause. In the first set I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone play so badly, she was terrible. If she ever tried to put some power into her shots they went out. The only mystery was how Cornet took the set only 6-3. That mystery was soon slolved in the 2nd set as Cornet took her powers of crappiness to new levels. She got down on herself late in the first set and after that seemed incapable of making the most basic shots. She also seemed to have an injury although the trainer was never called and I'm not convinced that there was anything much wrong. Vera was still bad enough to ensure that more than half of the games in the second set went to deuce but there was no way of competing with Cornet's shots and Dushevina took the set 6-0. To be fair to the two, their level did go up a little in the third set but most points were being won as the result of errors and Vera was slowly improving. Bizarrely at 3-2 down in the 3rd Cornet demanded that the players stop for a lack of light. Don't believe what they tell you on tv though cos it had nothing to do with the cameras that it didn't seem dark, at this stage it simply wasn't very dark. Anyway, the umpire said they would play one more game ( ) and then stop. Vera took it and led overnight 4-2.

Tuesday:
For those of you who don't know me my favourite ATP player is Nico Lapentti. Tuesday was one of those days where I really wished he wasn't. I was all set for Lapentti v Devilder to be a long one. He is the marathon man and all that but I couldn't be prepared for the pain which he gave me. For a start, it was a burning hot day and I had a seat right in the sun with no protection. I had made numerous plans for what I would watch next... right, like Nico would let me plan my day. The first set, was pretty much how the match should have gone, long rallies ending with Lapentti proving to be the better player. Ok, I'll put that differently, Devilder proving to be the worse player. In the first set his play was as idiotic as his revolting haircut and I almost almost started thinking that this match wouldn't be such a marathon. Lapentti dispelled that hope almost immediately with a truly clownish start to set number two. He went 4-0 down. Clearly just to ensure that no sets would be won too quickly, he broke back to get pretty close to the infuriating Frenchman but not close enough. He couldn't get all the way back and lost the set 6-4. Admittedly, the line judges, net cord and ballkids were all against him (he nearly ran into a ballgirl and rather than getting on with the point checked up on her ). The next set I was expecting Nico to win judging by the way that the previous one had ended but in actual facrt devilder played well which was something I'd never seen before he played some very clever shots indeed. 6-3 Devilder. As my Vamos Nico's got louder the level of intelligence at SW19 seemed to get lower as, after a conversation with a woman (I'm Scottish and sound reasonably Scottish) about Nico's nationality she asked me if I was from Ecuador. I couldn't help but laugh in her face. The match was a little better now and although devilder's form dropped slightly Nico really had to raise his game and took the 4th set 6-4. Devilder served first in the 5th which was annoying cos by the time it got to the business end Nico was under a lot of pressure. Not helped by an over-ruling umpire whose eyes were evidently abominable, Lapentti had to serve to stay in it at 4-5. He managed that but couldn't do it a second time and much to the delight of the fans (who seemed to love this Devilder) it was the inferior Nico who won through in about 4 hours.
By that time almost everything I'd wanted to see was over. There was only Pennetta and Ivanovic left in the OOP who particularly interested me and so for the time being I went to see Troicki v Dabul. First note, Dabul = tiny. Don't know how he compares in that regard to Rochus, but he is very small. Anyway, I went to that match and tiny or not, he wasn't bad at all. He could've maybe done ok against a clay court player like Vassallo or something but Troicki himself played pretty well. I'd seen Troicki before and haven't been particularly impressed, well this day he was quite impressive, good serve for sure. The scoreline of 6-4 6-4 6-3 was maybe a little harsh on Dabul (who blatantly allowed Troicki to break him in the last game to avoid the triple bagel) but it was a showing from Troicki which makes me question just why he was so terrible against Murray on Saturday.
After that, I went to the Pennetta match. By the time I arrived Llagostera Vives was about to take the first set and I was a little worried. I didn't see enough of the first set to have any sort of explanation as to why that happened but in the second and third it just looked stupid. Flavia was very good and Nuria had nothing to offer against an evidently superior player. It was done and dusted in no time as Flavia took it 3-6 6-1 6-0.
After that, a little wandering was done. I hadn't noticed the Makarova v Zahlavova Strycova match on the OOP and so had no idea where to go. In the end we went to Ram v Petzschner. I kinda liked Phil before this tounament, but certainly no-one has gone up as much in my estimation. I came to the court in my Werder Bremen strip (I happened to be wearing it, it wasn't a plan) and sitting just a little away from crazed guys in German football strips I seemed like a big Petzsch fan. I joined toward the end of the third set and it was Ram who was leading in the tie-break. I was informed that Ram (who I feel I've known since I was born) was in his early twenties, I have since checked and he is 25 but seriously, he looks more like 40. Anyway, Ram, like Hernych the day before looked good going into the tb but once he was there just lost it a little. As for Petzchner, he turned on the style a little. His slice backhand which is talked of often in this forum really is a thing of beauty. Good serve, nice groundstrokes, decent vollies, I mean, I know he was playing Ram, but he's not a bad player I think. The 4th set was just easy stuff as he played better and Ram worse. After victory he took careful aim and hit a ball to one of his German fans. I was gonna see him interact a lot more with fans in a few days .
The last match of the day for me was Barbara Zahlavova Strycova versus Ekaterina Makarova. BZS has been one of my favourite players for a long time as she is just so damn cute in matches. I've seen her so often look round for her husband and get upset over small things and I always just wanna hug her and be there for her . Well, this time I was there pity I didn't help. Makarova got real lucky in the first set and took it 7-5. BZS was getting a little upset with herself and with the whole situation of playing well but losing but she managed to calm down. Mainly due to me I feel sure she took the second set playing some great tennis 6-2. I was shocked that they started the final set as it was really dark but no-one was complaining. Barbara started it well too and she was in front and playing damn well. Then Makarova said it was a bit dark. For some reason the umpire didn't care and told her to get on with it. BZS hadn't complained and as such the fans started cheering her more. This didn't help. There was no big dip in form, no real reason, but Makarova somehow started winning more games than my girl. By the end, control had just been wrestled away from BZS and Makarova won. Zhlavova Strycova knew she'd played well and looked for a second like she might cry but she sucked it up and could leave knowing she did better than anyone expected.
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
country flag Caio_Brasil

Caio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wimbledon 2009 Report Monday-Friday

Thanks, good read
Caio_Brasil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
country flag Taz Warrior

Taz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille&tati4life View Post
Monday:
Before I got in I was alreay in stitches thanks to my fellow fans. During queing there are questions about Wimbledon written up which have the answers on the reverse. One such question was who were the last five female Wimbledon winners. Many confidently asserted Henin which was wrong though perhaps understandable. My favourite moment had to be when one man delighted thought that he'd worked one out and exclaimed Navratilova.... nice .
Someone behind me was convinced that Mary Pierce was one of the answers

Great report btw
Taz Warrior is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Last edited by JMG : 06-29-2009 at 07:39 PM.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Great read, thanks a lot!
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #6

guille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'll get back on it.

On Wednesday, I had to leave pretty early from Wimbledon so I didn't see so much tennis.
First match I was at was Cibulkova again. She was playing Urszula Radwanska and judging by what I'd seen on Monday, I was expecting a loss for Domi. However, she played a really good match, in all the rallies you expected Cibulkova to win and for the most part she did. Radwanska on the other hand was pretty awful, she didn't have much to offer and her drop shot, which she turned to a lot was far from helpful. Domi won it easily enough, 6-2 6-4 despite an injury time out to work on her back.
Then, I went to see Dushevina again as she played Elena Vesnina. If Vera had few fans in the Cornet match, she had even less this time. Basically, I think most people were too hot to even bother cheering. Anyway, Dushevina was pretty much as bad as she was against Cornet, nothing was working for her. She looked at me quite a lot for support I think and looked in my direction to (well, maybe I'm reading too much into it) confirm a line call. Anyway, Vesnina was no better than solid but that was easily good enough cos Vera was bad. I left that court thinking to myself, well, there's no point waiting around to see Minar destroyed in straights from Kohli .
I had planned on watching Tsonga v Bolelli but then SuperBol pulled out and I had to change. I went to see the end of Cirstea v Mirza. Both women had a hell of a good support, especially Mirza, but at least when I was at the court the support didn't really help her. Mirza was poor. Cirstea was pretty good. For a time Mirza looked quite dangerous in the 2nd set but she just went to pieces and Cirstea powered through easy.
By this time I knew I had to leave soon and I hadn't seen a single men's match. All the courts where there was singles going on were totally packed (even Kohli v Minar) and since they didn't interest me I wasn't going to force my way in. I did however decide to see some men playing and went to the doubles match between Tursunov/Kunitsyn and Kas/Troicki. I'd been told that Troicki could be a bit of a hot head but I'd never seen that and thought that it was all a bit exaggerated. I've changed my mind. The match itself was simply men's doubles, a few entertaining points but hardly edge of your seat stuff. Tursunov and Kunitsyn were seemingly not taking things too seriously, joking around and at times not making intelligent shots at all. Kas and Troicki though were taking it deadly seriously. Now, the umpire did make a number of weird decisions, over-ruling on very tough calls and even not playing lets when the players all thought there should be some. Troicki soon had enough and began to have a go at the umpire "Why are you even here?", before long, everyone was at it. Troicki wanted support from his opponents and Tursunov and Kunitsyn began to ridicule the umpires ridiculous decisions. Kas for his part, though he was the calmest of the group also got in a few shots at the worthless umpire while at the same time acting as a calming influence for his partner. In the end Kas/Troicki won it 6-4 7-6 6-3. It was men's doubles, but at least it was kinda entertaining.
The next day was probably my most ATP centred day but, you'll have to wait for that report (in fact, somehow or other I watched a hell of a lot of tennis on Thursday)
Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Ram is seriously 25? I am still in denial.

Good write-up It reminds me of some things I think I slept through (like Dushevina-Vesnina which I do not seem to remember at all )

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troickitard View Post
Ram is seriously 25? I am still in denial.

Good write-up It reminds me of some things I think I slept through (like Dushevina-Vesnina which I do not seem to remember at all )
According to his wiki page it must be wrong though.

I'm not meant as a pillow you know Vera must have been gutted I wasn't giving her my all

Friday I spoke to Barbie and Petzsch they're so cool
Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille&tati4life View Post
According to his wiki page it must be wrong though.

I'm not meant as a pillow you know Vera must have been gutted I wasn't giving her my all

Friday I spoke to Barbie and Petzsch they're so cool
It's definitely wrong. After all, Wikipedia is not a reliable source

*ignores pillow comment, as that was one of my most lovely naps*

I anxiously await Friday's write up then

Last edited by Jessebel : 07-02-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #10

On Thursday the first match I went to was Malek v Stosur. The whole court was full of Aussies and Malek is one of my favourite players so again I was shouting against the crowd. Before the match even started the Aussies started randomly chanting "Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah" quicker and quicker. Whatever, they were really up for it. Stosur though was not. She played a pretty ghastly first set and even though Malek didn't play very well, she won it 6-4. The second set was similarly woeful by Stosur (and many of her fans left the court to watch Hewitt) but Malek missed all sorts of chances to put the match away and in all honesty didn't play at all well herself. Very few points throughout the whole match were won from her hitting winners. Stosur took the set 7-6 and then finally started to play decent tennis in the third and won it 6-4. She broke to go 5-4 up with a fluky net cord and didn't apologise. So I boo'd her. The Aussies were unimpressed but hey, screw them and screw Stosur.
The next match I saw was Simon v Alves. I really wanted to see Gilles so was willing to wait in a long queue in crazily hot conditions for him. Well, the basics from this match are that Alves likes to grunt very loud whenever he hits the ball. He put up a decent fight but I joined it when it was already one set all. From then on, although Alves did break Gilles more than once, Simon was for the main in control. In fact, I'd say it was a pretty steady performance from Simon especially given the fact that he'd been pretty rubbish in recent weeks. Decent match to watch, unpredictable and the right winner. Things were looking up . 5-7 6-3 6-4 6-4 with some real good points.
I then went to see Medina Garrigues versus Garbin. Garbin outdid Alves in terms of strange noises but that was pretty much all she brought to the match. I like Medina Garrigues but she's not exactly a flashy player. It was a solid match, not anything special. I was just happy that Anabel won, 7-6 6-3.
Next I somehow landed at another Petzschner match. Him and Zverev were starting their 5th set by the time I arrived so I didn't see much of it. What I did see was Zverev totally tanking the match. Phil played good stuff in the 5th but tbh didn't need to as Zverev didn't recover from losing the tie-break in the 4th. However, I really did appreciate Petzschner's shots, I was starting to have someone new to cheer in the ATP. For Zverev, never expect him to fight. 4-6 7-6 3-6 7-6 6-0.
I waited on that court as I could not refuse to see a little bit of Sexy Steps. Starace v Stepanek was next on. I wanted to see Pennetta so I only watched the first set of this one but what I saw was pretty interesting. Starace was great, like really really impressive in the first 4 or 5 games but after that just stopped. Stepanek was as entertaining as ever, some nice shots, cool rallies. I also came back to see the very end of the match in the off chance that Stepanek did the worm. No such luck, he did run around a lot from side to side with a clenched fist but he saved the worm till his next 5 set triumph. 6-4 4-6 6-2 4-6 6-3 to Steps.
I went to see Flavia Pennetta v Vania King next. I was before the tournament convinced that King is simply terrible. This match didn't change my mind. Unfortunately, me and adee-gee decided to discuss how bad she was before being informed that the people behind us were her fans or entourage or something. Ah well, they probably already knew. Flavia was pretty good, but it was an easy draw. By this time I was incredibly sunburnt and as such am sad to say that i was seen on tv...
I saw that Cuevas v Levine was now in a 4th set. On my way to the Pennetta match I had watched a little of this match and had heard two men, one who looked somewhat like Levine though was in his 40s (maybe his dad but i don't know), discuss that Cuevas wasn't showing up in this match and that it was a bit of a cruise. I quite like Cuevas and so was delighted to see that he had some fight left in him after playing qualies and winning a 5 setter in round one. After losing the first two sets easily, he had taken the third set and was playing very well in the 4th. There were some excellent shots in this match, very high quality stuff. In the end, Levine just had too much for Cuevas. With some exceptional tennis he won, 6-2 6-1 4-6 4-6 6-3.
After that I watched some doubles on Henman Hill but there was not much to say about that. The courts were crazily crowded at Oudin v Shvedova and Troicki v Gimeno (though an Ajde was shouted over to Troicki ) and there was no hope of getting in.

Friday:

Friday was my last day and was the first day that I was on my own. Still, in some ways it was the most enjoyable.
I was pissed with the scheduling as I wanted to see both Cibulkova and Dulko and both were schedulde for second on their respective courts. I would have rathered see Almagro v Soderling than Sugiyama v Hantuchova but decided that since the WTA match would be over first, I could watch that, then Cibulkova and then still see most of the Dulko match. I was very wrong.
Sugiyama v Hantuchova was an ok match, nothing much to say about it, I like both women but don't care enough about either to get excited by it. Hantuchova won it pretty easily, 6-4 6-3. At this stage, my plan seemed to be working to perfection, but then came Cibulkova v Vesnina.
This was definitley the longest women's match I've ever been at. I don't now exactly how long it was, but it felt damn long. It was however, a very good match. Vesnina was much improved (annoyingly) from her last match and was rallying really well with Domi. Either woman could have won the first set, but in the end Vesnina took it 7-5 soley due to her good play. The second set was of a similar standard and toward the end of it, Cibulkova was playing like she was on clay or something, great shots coming from her everywhere and there was nothing that Vesnina could do. After that set, Vesnina took an injury time out. Yeah, she was probably injured but I've decided to dub her Fakesnina just cos she'd been playing well before the timeout and if anything played even better afterwards. Cibulkova's level didn't drop much and it became all about the big points. I'm usually pretty pessamistic where my players are involved but i really thought that Cibulkova would pull this out. It wasn't to be though and that was simply because Vesnina played great. 7-5 4-6 6-4
After finding out that Dulko had already lost, I just stayed on that court and watched another really strong performance, this time Schiavone as she put out Marion Bartoli. One of the more intelligent fans I'd heard over the weeks was explaining that Bartoli was French and very interesting to watch to her friend. In the first set, Bartoli was interesting to watch, it was fun to see her hit thin air between points as well as play pretty well during them. Schiavone though was playing like grass was her favourite surface, barely put a foot wrong all match and won 7-6 6-0 as Bartoli maybe tired a little in the second. Awesome showing from the elderly Italian.
I knew that Zahlavova Strycova was going to play mixed doubles soon and so went to see that. Unfortunately, when I got to the court they weren't there and I didn't know if they'd already played or were just about to. Anyway, I went back towards where the OOP was to see but as I walked up the hill, out of the locker rooms came Barbie and her partner... PETZSCHNER! So, I doubled back and walked right behind them, banging into their security guard until just before the court. I went to take a seat as they went the long way into the court and so when they came out, ten seconds later I was on my feet applauding. I don't think at that stage any of the fans knew who they were so, I was the only one cheering or anything. So, soon Lipsky and Makarova also came out and the match got started. To begin with, I was the atmosphere, it's mixed doubles, no-one cares, but I was starting to like Petzschner and already liked Barbie, so I cared. They actually both played very well too. Halfway through the first set though, a group of Australians came to the court and decided that between every single point they would shout "Come on Barbora". She was so embarassed . After a while, Petzschner demanded that they give him some cheers and so they did. I don't know if the fans helped or not, but they were both really enjoying themselves and Petzschner was playing quite amazing. The umpire over-ruled one of Barbie's winners and Phil had a long faked "you cannot be serious" discussion. The cheers for that team were non stop and apparently the Aussies suddenly at 6-4 5-3 started to feel sorry for the opposition and suddenly all shouted "Come on Scotty" at Lipsky which made everyone on court laugh. Petzschner and Barbie joked with the crowd all match and everyone was delighted when they won. Indeed, the Aussies called over Barbie and asked her to sign their chests. She did it, still a little embarassed. Petzschner followed her over hoping they wanted his signature too . In the end, he lifted a young boy out of the crowd (can only have been at most 10) and said that they should have a match. Petzschner gave him Barbie's racket and announced to everyone watching to "Give it up fo Asif" . The Aussies then all shouted "Go on Asif". Anyway, the two had some rallies (the little boy was very good for his age, considering the pressure) and then, rather than let Asif win the "game" they'd been playing, Petzschner slammed down a shot and celebrated . The guy really was a riot and kept playing to the crowd as Barbie watched on her seat. So, as they left the court I went over to Barbie and got her autograph (only one I could be bothered getting all week) though I'm too shy to get her to sign my body . I said well done etc and she was very nice but was busy with other people. Petzschner though was waiting further ahead. i think he thought I'd want his autograph, but I just went up and shook his hand and congratulated him for his Wimbledon so far. He was very nice and thanked me for my support etc.
Love them

That was my Wimbledon
Old 07-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #11
#freeviktor

They probably showed you on TV because you were probably as red as a tomato by Thursday

Quote:
The courts were crazily crowded at Oudin v Shvedova and Troicki v Gimeno (though an Ajde was shouted over to Troicki ) and there was no hope of getting in.
Thank you

Barbie and Petzsch

You saw so much on Friday That Domi match I followed most of it on the scoreboard before I had to go to work and I thought she'd win it

I'm jealous that you saw Simon/Alves also. I love Thiago and Gilles Though it's probably good I wasn't there on Thursday so I didn't have to sit through 5 sets of Viktor/Gimeno-Traver

Last edited by Jessebel : 07-04-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Merci! And welcome to the Petzsche fanclub, you definitely have good taste in players.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
country flag juv26

juv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond reputejuv26 has a reputation beyond repute

well done , thanks boss
juv26 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
country flag Aleka
DO THE LOCHTE

Aleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond reputeAleka has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww, the Barbie/Petzschner match sounds awesome. I wish I would have caught a mixed doubles match *sigh* Oh well, next time :P Thanks for the update on how you spend your Wimbledon
Old 07-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleka View Post
Awwww, the Barbie/Petzschner match sounds awesome. I wish I would have caught a mixed doubles match *sigh* Oh well, next time :P Thanks for the update on how you spend your Wimbledon
It was a lot of fun, still not the best ever

Hopefully you won't need an update next time