Groove Dude cheering thread - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groove Dude cheering thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by < $padea > View Post
I know money is tight, but always play with the same racquets, string, etc.
I know. Trust me, I'd love to, but my money is tighter than you could ever imagine.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 AM   #17
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

4 hours on the court today

My forehand is really clicking. I played this guy who was pretty hit or miss, but when he hit, he was really striking it well. A Youzhny style game except much less consistent. I won 6-4, but I was really impressed with how solidly I played.

I recently got my rackets strung up at 55, when I usually have them around 60, so I'm still getting used to the extra power.

My backhand either sails long or lands deep, something I'm desperately trying to work on. My forehand is the basis of my game. Heavy spinners cross-court until the opponent gives me a short ball, of which I usually strike to the nearest corner deep and close the net. My net play though, leaves much to be desired My serve is ok, very kicky, 50-60% first serves and about 3 df's per set. It gets the point started, though, and once the rally is going on, I firmly believe I have the upper hand.

I weighed 178 about 3 months ago, and at 5'9'', thats a bit of weight to be luggin around. Due to a combination of being broke as fuck and playing for ridiculous hours in 95 degree Florida summer heat, I've lost 20+ pounds since March and I now weigh 154

I'm now faster around the court and my footwork is infinitely better. I can outlast the other guy in rallies if I need to, and I've always been mentally strong as a rock.

I still want to work more on my serve, to the point where it can be a fearsome weapon. My backhand still needs lots of work for that to also become a weapon, and solidifying my forehand is another area I'm working on. I'm getting better at recognizing spins from my opponent mid-shot and moving accordingly, so I'm striking the ball pretty cleanly. I need to do some abdominal workouts to strengthen my mid-section, as well as continue my work in the gym to get to my ideal playing weight of 165, similar to David Ferrer.

145 days until the tournament

Quote:
Old 06-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #18
country flag chowdahead25

chowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond repute

Go get em Groove Dude. Awesome stuff.

Singles (131) -- Record - Qualifying: 20-14 Main Draw: 24-20 -- W: Gimcheon CH F: Astana-2 CH SF: Itajai CH, San Marino CH QF: Sarasota CH, Samarkand CH, Winston-Salem

Doubles (132) -- Record - Qualifying: 20-7 Main Draw: 27-24 -- W: Gimcheon CH F: Marseille, Arad CH SF: Itajai CH, Tianjin CH, Marburg CH, Vancouver CH, San Marino CH

Check out my new tennis "career" here!!! - http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=502881
chowdahead25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #19
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
jmf07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #20
Future ATP Star

Thanks guys

After an off day on Wednesday, another day on the courts today, and I'm really tuning up my forehand. I can handle just about any shot my opponent throws at me on that side, and can usually dictate play pretty handily with it.

My biggest improvement today was my backhand It's really coming along nicely, and I'm making much cleaner contact with it. Still nowhere near as good as my forehand, but its becoming more stable. A few too many shots to that wing and it goes south, though, or I'll bust out one of my killer slices.

Forehand is about 90% of the time exactly where I want it to be, my backhand is more along the lines of 60%.

Tomorrow is all about serving. My serve is all kick, but I need to learn the flat one as well as the slice out wide on the deuce and up the T on the Ad.

All hard work, baby, 141 days left from Friday

Quote:
Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #21
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!

Is Pics the player your game style resembles out of the ATP? Not a bad player to model it on.

What surfaces do you play on? Any good on clay/grass?
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 AM   #22
Future ATP Star

Well, kind of, but not really. I'm only 5 foot 9, so I figure I should try to get my physique to be something along the lines of Pics. I've adopted the ridiculous topspin angled forehand cross court from Nadal, albeit from the right handed side, and I've studied Djokovic mostly when trying to formulate my 2 handed backhand.

I try to spot-serve to draw a short ball and come in off of and hit a flatter forehand, but my net game is so average that I rarely volley unless its a basic gimme. The fighting spirit, mental strength, speed, and footwork of both Nadal and Ferrer I have also adopted. However, I am much more aggressive with my game than either of those guys.

Clay is my favorite surface I play mostly on hard, though, but when I get to play on clay, I really relish it, something not common with young American players. I haven't had the pleasure of playing on grass yet.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2009, 01:38 AM   #23
Future ATP Star

Another update here.

I'm in alabama now for the next month and a half to make some money working since Orlando has ZERO job opportunities. I'm fine-tuning my serve for it to become a fearsome weapon. I am concentrating on perfect ball tosses, extending my knee bend and back arch, and pushing off and exploding into the ball. Once I am able to do that consistently, I will focus on direction. Serve serve serve is my focus until late August when I head back to school.

This fall, when I get back to UCF, I plan on bulking up more in the gym and getting into much better shape. Mid-November is the pre-qualie event, followed by 6 futures events in Spring 2010. Depending on how well I do there (as well as my financial situation), I'll have some really tough decisions to make around next May. Stay in college if I can afford it? Go pro if the option is viable? Go into the military if all my financial means are dead-ends?

I have no idea, but shit is mad serious. I really want tennis to be my way out. I want to help out my parents, my friends that have been in jail and/or rehab. I want my star to rise fast. I want as many people as possible to know my story and draw inspiration from it, knowing that they too can succeed no matter how far the odds.

I want to look back on this very post in 12 months and be extremely proud of myself and what I've accomplished.

Vamos.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #24
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible that you could get good enough to get at east a partial scholarship to play teis for UCF? O is that out of the question?

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #25
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
Is it possible that you could get good enough to get at east a partial scholarship to play teis for UCF? O is that out of the question?
Not sure, dude. I never really contemplated it. I've been told that most if not all college scholarships are given to kids coming directly out of high school.

Always on the lookout for the younger talents, I guess.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #26
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

That's true. Its uncommon but not unheard of. There are so few scholarships for mens tennis (4.5). (women get 8).

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #27
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
That's true. Its uncommon but not unheard of. There are so few scholarships for mens tennis (4.5). (women get 8).

Won't matter, anyway. I want to hit with the team, though. Whether the coach can hook me up with a scholarship won't matter for this year at least. Of course I'd love to have it, but driving down the life road with bumps, tight turns, dips, and construction is nothing new to me.

Quote:
Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #28
Future ATP Star

I know that this thread doesn't get much play as of yet, but for the sake of the Historiographer (seeing as this thread will one day be the biggest on MTF), I'll make an update

I've left the backwoods of Alabama and have arrived back in the tropical Orlando, where 100 degree days and fierce thunderstorm nights are the norm.

School starts back up in 20 days, at which time I will be able to use the gym

I have developed my strokes, my mental game, and my equipment this summer. Now, the only thing left to do is get into ridiculously awesome shape and playing tournaments.

I've got 3 in back to back to back weeks in September, followed by one in October, the big one in November, and one last one in December.

The first one in September and the one in December are both prize money (5.5) events where I can net 300-400 dollars for the tournament win

Quote:
Old 08-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #29
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Go Groove Dude!!

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #30
country flag Laba

Laba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond repute

Any updates, man?