AQ's Cheering Thread: Going to Sectionals - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute
Default AQ's Cheering Thread: Going to Sectionals

Ok...if you guys can have one, so can I.

After many years on the comeback trail (two babies and such ), I've hooked up with a team that's headed to our USTA District Championships next weekend (July 10-12).

Luckily, I've played with many of these ladies before, have my regular doubles partner on the team too. As a team, we kicked some serious butt here locally. Swept our flight with four 5-0 match wins (including one over the other til-then undefeated team in our flight). We lost a total of four individual matches all season long.

So guys (and the few other gals that roam here)...cross your fingers for me/us as we head into the tournament. It'll invariably be hot, hotter than hell actually. Heat management is a significant issue and they usually even have medical staff there. Last time I was there (many moons ago and definitely pre-mommy), the on-court thermometer was way past the 120F mark and several players were carted off to the hospital for IVs.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Angle Queen : 07-23-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Angle Queen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
country flag bleu_cheese

bleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AQ's Cheering Thread

Good luck, though more for the heat I guess than the tennis. Such dedication is admirable.

Gasquet-Gulbis-Cilic-Dolgopolov-Stebe-Glasspool
Haase-Del Potro-Wawrinka-Kavcic-Giraldo-Berankis

My blog, not about tennis, though...
bleu_cheese is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

You should post a video of some match AQ.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Kick some ass AQ!!

StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks gang. We're in the final countdown. Big team practice tomorrow. Will probably set the lineup for some of the matches. I've even thrown my hat in the "singles" ring (even though all I've played in matches is doubles). It's a minimum of four team matches over two days and, sometimes, it's not necessarily who has the best few players...but who has the best, deepest team. I'm even willing to be a sacrificial lamb if that's what it takes. My ranking/rating isn't in any jeopardy so might as well take a chance.

I've also decided to enter the "Fast Serve" contest. It's for charity. But I'm curious. I'm guessing my top "in" speed is somewhere in the 30s MPH. I'll definitely let ya'll know the result of that.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
You should post a video of some match AQ.

That would involve...ah...technology. You've lucky I've even got a digital camera. Remember, this is a household with real landline phones, no VCR or DVR and I use a clothesline to dry my laundry.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck AQ!!! Respect to you!

Brian Baker - James Blake - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Ok...well...it's over. And I do mean over. We got our butts kicked.

I guess I should have known better. I've been to Districts before and should have remembered that the teams from Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads are just better than us. In theory, all the 3.5 players should at least be "competitive" with each other, but let's face it, that just ain't so. And considering that the teams from those areas are independents and can basically be "all-stars" (a collection of the best of the best club players)...we definitely had our work cut out for us.

The fact that we didn't have our top 3 singles players really hurt but bottom line is that we'd probably still have had the same results (just maybe won a few more games or even sets).

That's excuses. We just lost.

Oh well.

After personally playing 4 high-stakes matches in 36 hours, I realize my fitness could still use some improvement. Still, I had enough left in the tank for the final match to even cover my partner...who didn't. We lost that one too but it was a lot closer than I think than our opponents would have liked.

I did get drafted to play singles (twice!) which I haven't done that in league-play in over three years. I lost 6-2, 6-2 (to a player who will be moved up to 4.0) but won my other match 5-7, 6-1, 10-7 (3rd set tiebreak). Even though she was a 3.0 player, she'd won a decent number of singles matches at the 3.5 level so I'm proud of myself for prevailing. The match was at midday when the temps were 85F+. It was some tired tennis at the end but I held on. Not bad for a 40+year old mommy of two.

There was the predictable drama; one team (also from here in the Richmond area) challenged a particular player's rating. Seems the player in question was a college player but conveniently omitted that information during her self-rating process. But she's been "in the computer" for a few years (strategically playing up until she wins) and the official protest fell flat.

We had a great time. We know what we need to work on. We're excited to keep our team together for next year. We want to go back!

Thanks for everyone's kind words.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Recent update:

At our Club ladies doubles tournament, my partner and I were the Winners! of the Losers!

Lost a really close one in the opening round, fell to the losers bracket...and closed it out, winning four straight. Two matches were kinda ugly, but we prevailed. Even won back some of our entry fees with a gift certificate to a local restaurant. Gotta like that!

Hope everyone here is psyched for another good year of playing!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

I hit 3 aces in a (sanctioned) match yesterday!

I'm lucky if I can hit 3 aces a season.

Team is undefeated so far...hope we can keep it up.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #11
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle Queen View Post
Ok...if you guys can have one, so can I.

After many years on the comeback trail (two babies and such ), I've hooked up with a team that's headed to our USTA District Championships next weekend (July 10-12).

Luckily, I've played with many of these ladies before, have my regular doubles partner on the team too. As a team, we kicked some serious butt here locally. Swept our flight with four 5-0 match wins (including one over the other til-then undefeated team in our flight). We lost a total of four individual matches all season long.

So guys (and the few other gals that roam here)...cross your fingers for me/us as we head into the tournament. It'll invariably be hot, hotter than hell actually. Heat management is a significant issue and they usually even have medical staff there. Last time I was there (many moons ago and definitely pre-mommy), the on-court thermometer was way past the 120F mark and several players were carted off to the hospital for IVs.

I'll keep you posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle Queen View Post
We want to go back!
OK, I know it's really cheezy to quote yourself (esp in your own "cheering" thread )...but dammit, WE'RE GOING BACK!

We won our flight again this year and will play for our state/district championship next weekend. Gonna lose again, for the same reasons cited last year. But we'll have one helluva time. Weather's gonna be rough: East Coast US is in an ugly heat wave. We officially hit 104F yesterday. UGH.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Default Re: AQ's Cheering Thread: Going to Sectionals

OMG. We did it. We actually did it.

Ok. Well almost. Although we didn't win the State/District Championship, we finished second (by a hair) and received our district's wildcard into USTA's Mid-Atlantic Sectional Championships in August. Win that, and we go to Nationals.

Still can't believe it.

Six matches over 3 days in 100F+ heat. Worn out -- mentally and physically -- but riding a high.

Has anyone here ever competed at that level? What should I/we expect?

And, I've screwed my rating. Oh well. Nice price to pay for success.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
country flag straitup

straitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond repute

No but good luck! Glad to hear that you're having a blast, that's the main thing.
straitup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
country flag DualMedia

DualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond repute

congrats!
DualMedia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote