Groove Dude cheering thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-06-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Groove Dude cheering thread

Sup, guys, MTF vet here

I'm 19 and a halfish years old and I'm trying to become a big time tennis player. I just finished my freshman year at UCF in Orlando. This summer, I plan on practicing, training, and going all out 24/7, cause, basically, its all I really got.

I am 5'10, 170, and a speedster around the court. My game is based upon primarily spin and moving my opponents around the court until an opening presents itself and I can proceed to the net. I play right handed. My forehand is my big weapon, its freaking ridiculous. My 2 hand backhand is very solid and I have a killer slice.

My serve is what still needs some work, and I constantly am getting into trouble with it. I swear if I can get everything to work together consistently, I really think I've got a shot. I am rock solid mentally, but physically I still need to get my shit together. Everything in my game is now predicated on just how fit I am. I still have some work to do in the gym, but I've got everything else going for me in terms of tennistic intelligence.

Of course there are snags. The past two years or so have been tough for me, but through it all, tennis has always been there for me. Also the fact that I can barely afford to pay rent and eat food and am doing whatever I can to acquire such funds every month and the mental strain that puts on someone as young as me. It is because of what I had to deal with that I truly feel I have an advantage over anyone I might come up against. I have no fear.

There is a tournament 161 days from now that I plan on winning and propelling myself into the discussion of the next American tennis superstar.

See you at the top
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
country flag 10K Futures Qualifier
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groove Dude cheering thread

Awesome Groove! Have you played any Futures yet? So are you on the team UCF?
10K Futures Qualifier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't played any futures yet and I'm not on the UCF team.

However, I plan on practicing, trying out, and making the team for the fall/spring season.

There is also a pre-qualie tournament back home in Delray Beach in November where if I win, I get a wildcard into the qualies of the Delray ATP event.

Then I plan on playing about 6 or so futures in early 2010 all over the south of the USA as well as in Delray should I win that pre-tournament.

At the end of that period, I'll make a decision to try to fly out to California for the summer futures and/or the futures up north or to stay back in Florida and try to make some money to save up for my next shot at the big time.

We'll see what happens.

Quote:
Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
I haven't played any futures yet and I'm not on the UCF team.

However, I plan on practicing, trying out, and making the team for the fall/spring season.

There is also a pre-qualie tournament back home in Delray Beach in November where if I win, I get a wildcard into the qualies of the Delray ATP event.

Then I plan on playing about 6 or so futures in early 2010 all over the south of the USA as well as in Delray should I win that pre-tournament.

At the end of that period, I'll make a decision to try to fly out to California for the summer futures and/or the futures up north or to stay back in Florida and try to make some money to save up for my next shot at the big time.

We'll see what happens.
Great plan. If you come to Houston lets hit. I would play some money, then go to futures. But overall VAMOS!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
country flag Laba

Laba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond repute

All the best, man. Knock 'em dead.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

All the support in the world from me dude.

I am in a similiar fix as far as trying to get on my college team, but not futures and such. It's great that you have so much self-belief because that is probably what holds me back, because deep down I probably do not believe that I could win in future events.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
Future ATP Star

Well, I mean. I've played against futures players and I've watched them. My knowledge of the game, tactics, and overall how the game needs to be played exceeds anyone I've come across.

I've tried to discuss the inner workings of the game with futures players (such as the intricacies of baseline positioning and just how much you can do from any given area of the court) and they just give me that blank stare.

Thanks much for all the support, though

Quote:

Last edited by Johnny Groove : 06-11-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #8

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've tried to discuss the inner workings of the game with futures players (such as the intricacies of baseline positioning and just how much you can do from any given area of the court) and they just give me that blank stare.
Ball-bashers? That's a good advantage to have, tactics.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

to your confidence. Good luck, mate.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
Future ATP Star

The countdown until the tourney is down to 150 days and I've been making constant progress.

Today I played a future qualie player, a guy I normally hit with. He was better than me a few weeks ago, then we played a tight 3 setter than ended in a 3rd set tiebreak, and he's beaten me just once since. I've won 6 sets to his 2.

Today I won 6-3, 6-3, but not before destroying one of my precious rackets practicing serves prior to him even getting there. I'm actually kinda pissed now that it happened, cause it was a pretty good racquet for getting the feel of serves while my main rackets were getting strung.

R.I.P.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 AM   #11
country flag zjk

zjk is on a distinguished road

I'm goin to go with you have a powerful serve? I've only seen that done after my doubles partner hit his racquet on the ground when he got pissed....
zjk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #12
Athletic DNA

Quote:
That is a Junior racquet
Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #13

Does the future qualie player have an ATP ranking?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
Future ATP Star

H was ranked in the 1500's or so last year, but he hasn't played since then.

And that junior racquet like I said is just a practice one.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Athletic DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
H was ranked in the 1500's or so last year, but he hasn't played since then.

And that junior racquet like I said is just a practice one.
I know money is tight, but always play with the same racquets, string, etc.