Live match threads in GM - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #46
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live match threads in GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogotheorist View Post
I tried starting a live match thread in a tournament forum once; got about three nibbles. No fun; gave that up. Then did a search when a big Murray match was on, to see where the action was - turned out to be on a chat thread inside the Rafa subforum of the Spanish Armada forum (though I have a feeling Rafa wasn't the other player).

So at present you can brave the chill in the tournament subforum, or hunt through chat threads for actual discussion; but it's almost an underground thing. Of course it's inhibiting match discussion that would happen, and would be a major part of the site's activity, if facilitated. The argument of sparing the servers is pretty bizarre; is it actual MTF policy to discourage posting?.
My thoughts exactly. A forum should be looking to encourage discussion.
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #47
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
No one uses those threads. So obviously having them on GM would make them more popular.
Create your own forum man.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #48
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Create your own forum man.
So is that how you respond to people who are looking to improve the forum? Why do you even have a feedback and suggestions forum if that's the attitude you're going to take when someone has constructive criticism?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #49
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
So is that how you respond to people who are looking to improve the forum? Why do you even have a feedback and suggestions forum if that's the attitude you're going to take when someone has constructive criticism?
You mean making things easier for yourself, that is what it comes down to. You think I haven't listened to your points at all, I have done that. I mean you think certain matches deserve special treatment and I don't think any of them do.

There are functions already set up for the usage of the issue you are raising, but because of inherent laziness of posters this should be changed. It's not going to improve the forum at all.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #50
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
You mean making things easier for yourself, that is what it comes down to. You think I haven't listened to your points at all, I have done that. I mean you think certain matches deserve special treatment and I don't think any of them do.

There are functions already set up for the usage of the issue you are raising, but because of inherent laziness of posters this should be changed. It's not going to improve the forum at all.
I keep telling you over and over that I don't think certain matches deserve special treatment. And I'll keep saying it until you stop using this fabricated piece of nonsense to discredit what I'm saying. I don't care what match anyone wants to create a WWW thread for. It could be challengers, futures, juniors, etc. One is no more deserving than the other. If that is what certain people are interested in, they should be free to discuss it in a WWW thread. In other words, all matches deserve the same treatment. It is simply down to what the posters on GM want. They can create a WWW thread for ANY match that interests them, just as they do now. The only difference is that they can discuss the match in the thread as it takes place.

So you clearly have not read my points. I keep telling you the same thing and you keep building up strawmen. No match deserves special treatment. I honestly cannot be any clearer. The fact is that you don't like someone giving out constructive criticism. You think I'm telling you how to do your job. Well, I'm not. I'm giving you suggestions and I'm certainly not the only one who's in favour of live match discussion on GM. That is the point of this forum. We give suggestions and you mull them over. You don't tell someone to basically piss off for giving suggestions.

All you want to do is cut down on traffic. That's just a bullshit reason, as far as I'm concerned. Talk about backwards logic. A website wants its main forum to be less popular? I honestly can't get my head around it.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #51
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Clydey, don't give me this fabricated nonsense, you know exactly what it's going to happen. Basically GM will be more of a spamfest for Nadal, Federer, Murray and Djokovic matches.

Building up strawmen, far from it, not my fault people are lazy and don't use the facilities that are already in place. Or are you going to tell me that there aren't places to talk about the matches already in place.

When you created your account did you agree to the terms and conditions of the site or not ?

Considering there are more pressing issues with site, like doing a major upgrade so it's able to handle traffic during busy times and actually give the paying members some value for money, this particular issue is a non-issue.

You need to argue like a junkie needs smack, so I am being generous.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #52
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

The tournament live scoring forums used to have more posts in it, it's a shame that it hardly gets used now. These days the order of play doesn't even get posted much of the time, so I have to hunt down the annoying PDFs on the ATP website instead.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #53
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Clydey, don't give me this fabricated nonsense, you know exactly what it's going to happen. Basically GM will be more of a spamfest for Nadal, Federer, Murray and Djokovic matches.

Building up strawmen, far from it, not my fault people are lazy and don't use the facilities that are already in place. Or are you going to tell me that there aren't places to talk about the matches already in place.

When you created your account did you agree to the terms and conditions of the site or not ?

Considering there are more pressing issues with site, like doing a major upgrade so it's able to handle traffic during busy times and actually give the paying members some value for money, this particular issue is a non-issue.

You need to argue like a junkie needs smack, so I am being generous.
Yes, I agreed to the terms and conditions. Should we just scrap and feedback and suggestions forum, then? I mean, we all agreed to the terms and conditions. Therefore, there's no need to have this forum. Constructive criticism is out of the question. And yes, I do know exactly what's going to happen. People are going to be able to chat about ANY match that interests them while it's being played in a lively atmosphere. They won't be discussing a match with one man and his dog. If someone wants to discuss a Federer match, fine. If someone wants to discuss Rochus vs. Cipolla, that's fine too.

And yes, there are places to discuss matches. They are deliberately tucked away so as to cut down on traffic. Like I said before, every objection you have raised is still applicable to the tournament forums. Not a single one of your concerns is addressed by having live match discussions in the tournament forums. The potential for every problem still exists. If everyone suddenly migrated to the tournament forum, what would you do? You would have the same problems you would have had on GM. The only reason you want them in the tournament forum is because you know that's unlikely to happen and you know that no one is going to bother going there. They'll just go to Tennis Warehouse or some other forum to discuss matches.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #54
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
The tournament live scoring forums used to have more posts in it, it's a shame that it hardly gets used now. These days the order of play doesn't even get posted much of the time, so I have to hunt down the annoying PDFs on the ATP website instead.
Exactly my point. Back in the day members would start "OOP & scores" threads voluntarily, because it was sure to get a lot of posts during the day. Nowadays not even the tournament forum moderators bother to do it. Hence my suggestion to go back to the old system and move the discussion in the gamblers lounge back to the tournament forums. The sensitive people that complained about foul language from gamblers showed in the end that they do not really deserve to be heard. The board made a change for them and they didn't care.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #55
country flag LinkMage

LinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with shotgun. Get rid of the Livescoring in the GL and get it back to the tournaments forums with the daily "OOP & Scores" threads.

I would gladly start those threads.

Lahm

Kroos :fuck you:
LinkMage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #56
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Scoobs, what's the final word on this? Are you guys giving it a trial run in GM for Wimbledon?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #57
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

It's looking like yes to a trial over Wimbledon but I'm waiting for a few more people to have their say before it gets the final go-ahead.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #58
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
Exactly my point. Back in the day members would start "OOP & scores" threads voluntarily, because it was sure to get a lot of posts during the day. Nowadays not even the tournament forum moderators bother to do it. Hence my suggestion to go back to the old system and move the discussion in the gamblers lounge back to the tournament forums. The sensitive people that complained about foul language from gamblers showed in the end that they do not really deserve to be heard. The board made a change for them and they didn't care.
Now the board will be catering to the other lazy bums.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #59
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
It's looking like yes to a trial over Wimbledon but I'm waiting for a few more people to have their say before it gets the final go-ahead.
Good stuff.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #60
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

The trial begins today.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1