Live match threads in GM - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #31
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live match threads in GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
We can keep going round and round in circles. That is pretty much what it comes down to. Murray, Nadal, Federer and Djokovic have the big fan bases therefore if they are in any sort of trouble in their matches or doing something different tactically, then some thread will be started, when it can be discussed in the general area of the Livescores thread and doesn't need a separate thread.

It's commonsense, because there are rules that have to be observed, if clowns want to curse, bitch and jinx players, then do it in the Gamblers Lounge and not on GM, but that will be lost on some people.

Sounds like you want special and specific treatment for some reason. I am sorry 4 matches what for, when there are plenty of others going on at the same time at a Slam, so they should deserve threads as well. They don't deserve special status, it's not that hard to talk about matches in OOP or Livescores thread, once the one you want is over, either watch the next or go do something else.

You want convenience for yourself, but wanting to have a go at the mods at the same time.
You've done a remarkable job of twisting everything I say. You've somehow made it sound like I want special treatment.

Now, I'll explain one more time. Every match is equally worthy of a WWW thread. However, the simple fact is that only a few matches per round will end up getting a thread. It's not that I don't think they should be allowed a thread. It's that the vast majority only show interest in the bigger names and only create threads for a select few matches. That's why I said that we won't get 64 WWW threads. It's not because I don't feel every match deserves one. If someone wants a WWW thread for two qualifiers, that's fine. I have no problem with that. The simple fact is that it won't happen, though.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #32
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
You've done a remarkable job of twisting everything I say. You've somehow made it sound like I want special treatment.

Now, I'll explain one more time. Every match is equally worthy of a WWW thread. However, the simple fact is that only a few matches per round will end up getting a thread. It's not that I don't think they should be allowed a thread. It's that the vast majority only show interest in the bigger names and only create threads for a select few matches. That's why I said that we won't get 64 WWW threads. It's not because I don't feel every match deserves one. If someone wants a WWW thread for two qualifiers, that's fine. I have no problem with that. The simple fact is that it won't happen, though.
It still sounds like you want special treatment for these particular player threads.

The simple fact is that all matches within a respective tournament should be discussed within a Livescores or OOP thread wherever it happens to be located. That includes Fulford-Jones vs Junquiera or Federer vs. Nadal.

No the big 4, del Potro, Verdasco or whoever once the match has started doesn't deserve any special treatment.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #33
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It still sounds like you want special treatment for these particular player threads.

The simple fact is that all matches within a respective tournament should be discussed within a Livescores or OOP thread wherever it happens to be located. That includes Fulford-Jones vs Junquiera or Federer vs. Nadal.

No the big 4, del Potro, Verdasco or whoever once the match has started doesn't deserve any special treatment.
I didn't say that they deserve special treatment. I have no problem with any match being discussed. I don't know how I can put that across any more clearly. No one match is more deserving than any other. I am simply saying that the majority of GM are only interested in a select few matches and that's the reason we won't have 64 WWW threads. It's not that the other matches are any less worthy.

I'm fine with one thread anyway. I just wanted some form of live discussion in GM, since that is where everyone goes.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #34
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't say that they deserve special treatment. I have no problem with any match being discussed. I don't know how I can put that across any more clearly. No one match is more deserving than any other. I am simply saying that the majority of GM are only interested in a select few matches and that's the reason we won't have 64 WWW threads. It's not that the other matches are any less worthy.

I'm fine with one thread anyway. I just wanted some form of live discussion in GM, since that is where everyone goes.
People will still follow matches, but don't necessarily need to have WWW threads, this has happened a lot and will continue to do so. You are implying that they deserve special treatment and they don't.

Why does it have to be in GM? Because people are too lazy to use the tournament forums and discuss the matches? The GL I can understand why some wouldn't go there. Like I said I wouldn't come into a place and not accept their rules, so why is this differemt? Because of laziness.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #35
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
People will still follow matches, but don't necessarily need to have WWW threads, this has happened a lot and will continue to do so. You are implying that they deserve special treatment and they don't.

Why does it have to be in GM? Because people are too lazy to use the tournament forums and discuss the matches? The GL I can understand why some wouldn't go there. Like I said I wouldn't come into a place and not accept their rules, so why is this differemt? Because of laziness.
You can call it laziness, sure. It's all about convenience really. There's no reason to put it in the tournament forum. The only possible reason is to cut down on traffic. GM is basically the centre point. That is where the vast, vast majority of tennis discussion goes on and that is where most people head to when they come on MTF. Why on earth would you tuck live discussion away in the tournament forum, then? The only reason I can think of is because you think GM will get too busy.

The reason I know that is because even if you put live discussion in the tournament forum, you still leave open the possibility of encountering every single problem you anticipated would occur on GM. If by magic everyone could be bothered to go to the tournament forum and use the live match thread, every single objection you raised is still something you would potentially have to deal with. Like I said, the only explanation is that you are trying to cut down on the traffic.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #36
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can call it laziness, sure. It's all about convenience really. There's no reason to put it in the tournament forum. The only possible reason is to cut down on traffic. GM is basically the centre point. That is where the vast, vast majority of tennis discussion goes on and that is where most people head to when they come on MTF. Why on earth would you tuck live discussion away in the tournament forum, then? The only reason I can think of is because you think GM will get too busy.

The reason I know that is because even if you put live discussion in the tournament forum, you still leave open the possibility of encountering every single problem you anticipated would occur on GM. If by magic everyone could be bothered to go to the tournament forum and use the live match thread, every single objection you raised is still something you would potentially have to deal with. Like I said, the only explanation is that you are trying to cut down on the traffic.
Ain't this reason good enough? There's a reason various subforums are set up on this board. So I really can't understand why we have to have live score threads on GM. Other than as AJ said, laziness.

For me, I hate the WWW and result threads crowding up GM and I really love to have them in tournament forums too.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #37
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
It is pure laziness, but that is just semantics. The simple reason is they should go there, is because that is what the tournament forums were set up for, not just for Entry Lists, to discuss the individual matches in that respective tournament in the Order of Play threads.

These matches involving the big stars doesn't deserve any special treatment in having a thread just for them, and neither does Oscar Hernandez, but we can keep doing the circle thing.

Quote:
You'd get that anywhere. There are mods that look after the tournament sections. Jinnxing, the fake scores and the other shit would get warnings and told to move to gamblers lounge.

In other words you are saying posters are too thick or too lazy to click on the upcoming tournament Wimbledon for example and talk about the live matches in there.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #38
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Ain't this reason good enough? There's a reason various subforums are set up on this board. So I really can't understand why we have to have live score threads on GM. Other than as AJ said, laziness.

For me, I hate the WWW and result threads crowding up GM and I really love to have them in tournament forums too.
No, it's not. The reason it's not is because you still leave open the possibility of the same "problem" happening on the tournament forum.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #39
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:

In other words you are saying posters are too thick or too lazy to click on the upcoming tournament Wimbledon for example and talk about the live matches in there.
I'm not saying it. It's just a fact that they are. Having it in GM is more convenient. No point in putting it in the tournament forum just to spite them for laziness. Yeah, it's laziness. Whatever. Doesn't change the fact that the goal should be to make the forum more popular. Having it in GM would make GM more popular, whether you view that as a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #40
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Live scores threads are ALWAYS in tournament since the beginning of ATPWORLD.COM menstennisforums.com and later in gamblers forum. So saying having live scores threads in GM will make the forum more popular is totally .....
Old 06-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #41
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
I'm not saying it. It's just a fact that they are. Having it in GM is more convenient. No point in putting it in the tournament forum just to spite them for laziness. Yeah, it's laziness. Whatever. Doesn't change the fact that the goal should be to make the forum more popular. Having it in GM would make GM more popular, whether you view that as a good thing or a bad thing.
They have always been there since the formation of this forum. This place is popular enough and the server is crap that it can't handle huge amounts of traffic.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #42
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Live scores threads are ALWAYS in tournament since the beginning of ATPWORLD.COM menstennisforums.com and later in gamblers forum. So saying having live scores threads in GM will make the forum more popular is totally .....
No one uses those threads. So obviously having them on GM would make them more popular.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #43
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Quote:
No one uses those threads. So obviously having them on GM would make them more popular.
I don't know you're a prophet. Sorry for having a different opinion then yours.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #44
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
I don't know you're a prophet. Sorry for having a different opinion then yours.
No, I'm just using common sense. Live match discussions on GM would be more popular than live match discussions tucked away in the tournament forums. Pretty sure even AJ agrees with that. In fact, that isn't even what we're arguing about.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #45
country flag pogotheorist

pogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond repute

I tried starting a live match thread in a tournament forum once; got about three nibbles. No fun; gave that up. Then did a search when a big Murray match was on, to see where the action was - turned out to be on a chat thread inside the Rafa subforum of the Spanish Armada forum (though I have a feeling Rafa wasn't the other player).

So at present you can brave the chill in the tournament subforum, or hunt through chat threads for actual discussion; but it's almost an underground thing. Of course it's inhibiting match discussion that would happen, and would be a major part of the site's activity, if facilitated. The argument of sparing the servers is pretty bizarre; is it actual MTF policy to discourage posting?.
pogotheorist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote