Federer : "I have to move and serve all over the place" - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federer : "I have to move and serve all over the place"

I didn't notice that this interview was posted here but I think it's very interesting :

it was in the French newspaper "l'Equipe" in an article called "un moment d'intimite avec Roger Federer".

Here I translate a very interesting part of the interview about Federer's physical work in the beginning of the year.

French version :

Quote:
"Bon c'est sûr que j'ai moins mal au dos. Mais, quand j'ai réuni Pierre et Seve pour reprendre l'entraînement, je leur ai dit :"Je dois faire du jeu de jambes dans tous les sens, du service dans tous les sens, parce que mon mental doit savoir que je peux le faire. Je veux m'en persuader."

"En fait, j'ai eu un feeling à l'intérieur de moi : mon corps se retenait et me retenait. Mon corps avait peur de servir ou de s'arracher pour aller chercher une balle en bout de course..Inconsciemment, j'avais peur. J'ai donc décidé de travailler à fond les ballons. On a fait "exprès extrême". Pour mon mental, c'était un passage obligé. Si ça casse, au moins, je saurai. Sinon j'aurai accompli un grand pas sur le bon chemin."

"Il me manquait la possibilité de varier. Or, sans pouvoir varier, je suis mort. A cause de la douleur, mon geste avait intégré des parasites sans que je m'en rende compte. Me libérer de ça m'a pris du temps. Il y a eu des hauts et des bas, mais, au final, c'a été un grand déclic. Retrouver mon service et mes coups de défense a tout changé pour moi. Mon corps à oublié la peur."
Lololita's translation, far better than mine thanks

Quote:
"Well, without a doubt my back hurts less. But when I met up with Pierre and Seve to start training again I told them: I need to work on my footwork in every direction, same for my serve, because mentally I need to be able to know that I can do it. I want to convince myself of this."

"I actually had the feeling that my body was holding back and holding me back. My body was afraid to serve or to just give everything to get to a ball...Unconsciously, I was afraid. So I decided to work extremly hard. We made the training "extrem" on purpose. Mentally I had to go through it. If my body breaks down, at least I'll know and if not, I'll have taken a great step forward in the right direction."

"I lacked options. Without variations I'm dead. Because of the pain I changed my service motion without realising it. It took me time to get back to the right motion. There were some high and some lows but at the end there was a great turning point. To get my serve and my defensive game back changed everything for me. My body is no longer afraid."

Last edited by duong : 06-11-2009 at 03:04 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer : "I have to move and serve all over the place"

Is that a recent interview? Post-RG, refering to the begining of the year.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting, and it gives an insight into where confidence comes from - which is to have all bases covered. So much of Nadal's mental strength comes from having the safety of his topspin and his incredible stamina. It makes sense that those at the top of the game have on the whole greater mental strength because the tools they have to rely on are usually better.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting and I would also like to know what time frame Roger is talking about.
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post
Is that a recent interview? Post-RG, refering to the begining of the year.

yes, on monday.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
country flag Lololita
Banned!

Lololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond reputeLololita has a reputation beyond repute

He's probably talking about the work he did before Rome mainly

Quote:
"Bon c'est sûr que j'ai moins mal au dos. Mais, quand j'ai réuni Pierre et Seve pour reprendre l'entraînement, je leur ai dit :"Je dois faire du jeu de jambes dans tous les sens, du service dans tous les sens, parce que mon mental doit savoir que je peux le faire. Je veux m'en persuader."
"Well, without a doubt my back hurts less. But when I met up with Pierre and Seve to start training again I told them: I need to work on my footwork in every direction, same for my serve, because mentally I need to be able to know that I can do it. I want to convince myself of this."

"En fait, j'ai eu un feeling à l'intérieur de moi : mon corps se retenait et me retenait. Mon corps avait peur de servir ou de s'arracher pour aller chercher une balle en bout de course..Inconsciemment, j'avais peur. J'ai donc décidé de travailler à fond les ballons. On a fait "exprès extrême". Pour mon mental, c'était un passage obligé. Si ça casse, au moins, je saurai. Sinon j'aurai accompli un grand pas sur le bon chemin."
"I actually had the feeling that my body was holding back and holding me back. My body was afraid to serve or to just give everything to get to a ball...Unconsciously, I was afraid. So I decided to work extremly hard. We made the training "extrem" on purpose. Mentally I had to go through it. If my body breaks down, at least I'll know and if not, I'll have taken a great step forward in the right direction."

"Il me manquait la possibilité de varier. Or, sans pouvoir varier, je suis mort. A cause de la douleur, mon geste avait intégré des parasites sans que je m'en rende compte. Me libérer de ça m'a pris du temps. Il y a eu des hauts et des bas, mais, au final, c'a été un grand déclic. Retrouver mon service et mes coups de défense a tout changé pour moi. Mon corps à oublié la peur."
"I lacked options. Without variations I'm dead. Because of the pain I changed my service motion without realising it. It took me time to get back to the right motion. There were some high and some lows but at the end there was a great turning point. To get my serve and my defensive game back changed everything for me. My body is no longer afraid."
Lololita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE View Post
Very interesting and I would also like to know what time frame Roger is talking about.
I don't know either, after the Australian Open I guess.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lololita View Post
I think it started before that because he also says that it was a good decision to take a break after the Australian Open.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lololita View Post
Love the picture of Nole in your avy
“But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for ever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.” - Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
country flag duong

Lololita I take your translation : it's far better, thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
country flag anutam

anutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond repute

Could you post the link to all interview (article) please.
anutam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
country flag Commander Data

Commander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting read! thanks!!

- Magnus Carlsen
Commander Data is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by anutam View Post
Could you post the link to all interview (article) please.
the whole article is not free : one part is here :

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2...r-federer.html

somebody posted here the complement part I posted in this thread :

http://www.welovetennis.fr/federer/1...ite-de-rodgeur
Old 06-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
country flag anutam

anutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond reputeanutam has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, duong!
anutam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
country flag theprodigy

theprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond repute

can someone translate the whole article?
theprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote